Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cool Canyon, Blair Valley; 01.18.16
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Jan 25, 2016 9:52 pm 
"But me, not destin'd such delights to share, My prime of life in wandering spent and care, Impell'd with steps unceasing, to pursue Some fleeting good, that mocks me with the view; That, like the circle bounding earth and skies, Allures from far, yet, as I follow, flies; My fortune leads to traverse realms alone, And find no spot of all the world my own." --Oliver Goldsmith, The Traveller Directions: 8E > 79N > 78E > S-2S > Cool Canyon Rd. (unmarked) MAP For MLK Day I headed out to ABDSP once again for an adventure. A couple weeks prior I had been in this area and went up Rego BM, this time I decided to check out Cool Canyon. After gingerly driving my car up the dirt road from S-2, I arrived @ the TH to find only one other vehicle. I donned my gear and headed up the canyon.
Cool Canyon TH
Cool Canyon TH
Headin' up
Headin' up
Almost immediately the canyon walls narrow and there are various short/easy dry waterfalls to climb. The rocks are at times adorned with colorful stripes, and @ one point I found a boulder with a shallow impression, likely from Native American grinding long ago.
Walls get narrower
Walls get narrower
The only grinding evidence I found
The only grinding evidence I found
A dry fall
A dry fall
I stayed to the right @ all main forks in the canyon, eventually climbing up and out onto a small ridge that led to a saddle with a view down the other side, as well as to various peaks to the south & east. To the west I could see the shoulder of Granite Mtn., but its top was obscured by Peak 4,624'.
Getting higher
Getting higher
Heading for that saddle
Heading for that saddle
Rocky area across the way
Rocky area across the way
View off the other side
View off the other side
Could it be?...
Could it be?...
View NW from the saddle
View NW from the saddle
Unnamed nub to the east of the saddle
Unnamed nub to the east of the saddle
Whale Pk.
Whale Pk.
View south
View south
Saddle pano
Saddle pano
Pinyon Mtn., Whale Mtn. in the distance
Pinyon Mtn., Whale Mtn. in the distance
View south across ridges & beyond
View south across ridges & beyond
The saddle was kinda windy so I didn't stay long, plus I had other explorations planned for the day. smile.gif
Heading back down into the canyon
Heading back down into the canyon
Texture
Texture
After snapping a few pics @ the saddle, I headed back down into the canyon. Once back @ the major split, I took the south fork up a little ways as there was supposed to be "a fine, large specimen of mountain manzanita". Well, if it was there I didn't see it. embarassedlaugh.gif But, this looked like a potentially interesting canyon to explore further @ a later point.
Entrance to side canyon
Entrance to side canyon
Heading back down the main canyon
Heading back down the main canyon
Next up, I wanted to check out a high point in Blair Valley called Quake BM. The rd. to get down there was a little f'd up w/muddy ruts from recent heavy rain, so I parked in the campground area & walked across the valley. I got to the base of the peak, & could see that there would be a lot of cacti dodging involved & estimated that there probably wasn't quite enough daylight left to get up & back down @ my speed. I would have to save it for another day, when perhaps I could get an earlier start or get my car much closer. wink.gif
Muddy ruts
Muddy ruts
Long walk across
1 label
Long walk across
Looking toward Foot & Walker Pass
Looking toward Foot & Walker Pass
'til next time...
'til next time...
I popped over the low saddle @ the base of the peak next to the end of a side road. I walked past a parked RV & back onto the main rd., & then left the rd. again to make a more direct line back to my car. up.gif
Granite Mtn.
Granite Mtn.
Blair Valley
Blair Valley
Blair Valley
Blair Valley
Dead
Dead
Cracked up
Cracked up
I then drove up to Borrego Springs & popped into Carmelita's for the usual post-hike feast to top off the day. tongue.gif
Post-hike margarita
Post-hike margarita

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message