Forum Index > Trail Talk > Rock/Mud Avalanche on Aconcagua - Narrow Escape
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jan 27, 2016 9:58 am 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
I do recall the 1975 outburst flood(s) from Glacier Peak but I wasn't there as a witness (it was between my trips there...the Brushbuffalo photo was on Frostbite Ridge in 1978). So I don't get a beer from you. bawl.gif
Dude, as much as you know about all this, you could have lied about being there. Note: when someone offers you a beer for information, make stuff up. Sheesh, it's like being in kindergarten around here sometimes. clown.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostWed Jan 27, 2016 10:20 am 
Dang it, I missed my chance for free beer AGAIN!!! embarassedlaugh.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jan 27, 2016 10:35 am 
If anyone is interested in what it's like to be caught on the wrong side of one of these outwashes, check out local historian Russ Hanbey's book, Walking on Trees. Russ was a USFS ranger in Darrington. One day in July 1975, he noticed a very muddy Whitechuck River on his way to Kennedy Hot Springs. When he got there, he encountered some terrified, stranded campers at Kennedy. The description of these outwashes is scary! It's an interesting book - very funny in places - and the story about the multiple outwashes is fascinating.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Jetlag

Jetlag
PostWed Jan 27, 2016 1:31 pm 
Remarkable video! We took the train by Aconcagua this fall and it was astonishingly beautiful with so much snow covering the scree and talus. As for glacial outburst floods, the one this summer on Rainier that Brushbuffalo referenced was followed by an even larger event a couple weeks later that no one photographed to my knowledge. Both of these were powerful enough to kill anyone who would have had the misfortune of encountering them when crossing a ravine below the outbursts. They flooded through dry Alder Lake and gummed up our salmon camera far down river with fine silt.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 27, 2016 1:54 pm 
Gimpilator wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
Is the entire mountain that ugly?
I think not. Take a look at the photos from my 2011 climb.
Still not seeing the 'beauty'...all I see is brown with a dusting of snow, and one pic of a brown mountain with sunlight on it...but I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Jan 27, 2016 3:20 pm 
Just what do you think is beautiful? You have made comments similar to this in the past and I feel sorry for you. You must be constantly disappointed when you go hiking, or do anything outside.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Jan 27, 2016 6:27 pm 
Perhaps brown is not your color. lol.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 27, 2016 7:01 pm 
Schenk wrote:
Just what do you think is beautiful?You have made comments similar to this in the past and I feel sorry for you. You must be constantly disappointed when you go hiking, or do anything outside.
Don't feel sorry for me, you simply don't get my sense of 'humor'...some do. I received this from a NWHiker via pm regarding this comment..."Beauty is in the eye of the Beerholder" "Ah hahaha, made my boring day!". `anonymous nwhiker`
Gimpilator wrote:
Perhaps brown is not your color. lol.gif
Here is another one who "gets it". Sorry if my sense of humor is a bit off color and un PC...O' well, life goes on aye?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Mar 11, 2018 8:51 pm 
Just watched this again.