Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Electronic audio devices at state parks
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cartman

cartman
PostFri Jan 29, 2016 11:18 am 
wolffie wrote:
There is the "Ruin Their Day" approach. You can walk up, grab the device, smash it, then run.
I woulda thought you'd just feed them to the always handy Cloaking Device.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSat Jan 30, 2016 10:38 am 
tigermn wrote:
joker wrote:
Well, better to have something clear laid out than something that's going to waste a lot more money in court time. There are lots of charts showing decibel levels of common sounds out there - this needn't require any decibel meters to enforce.
good luck in court with that one... Without hard data if they start claiming specific decibel levels the defense lawyer will have a field day shooting that down..... Next....
Not really tough, according to Kirkland City laws. Many years ago, my then teen daughter was driving with a gal friend on a warm Saturday evening in downtown Kirkland, with the old-geezer Toyota camry she inherited from us, stock 2 tiny speak sound system. Cop flags her over. She has nothing to hide, but is having a hard time hearing him because of the night club a short distance away is blasting music out their doors. Without any warning or explanation, and this is the daughter that would not give attitude to a cop, he writes her a criminal citation for playing the music too loud in the car. What is too loud? As I ponder her having a criminal record for this violation. Much digging later, the kirkland ordinance only says that too loud is "can be heard from 50 feet away". period. You can hear the car engine idling from 50 feet away. This is crap. So we go to court, and the cop has the nerve to show up. We had chosen an arbitration board, since technically we had no way to win. "Winning" with the arbitrators would only get it reduced. I went into full Engineer mode, speaking of Decibels and combining ambient sounds, and challenging their more than vague and arbitrary law, to no avail. Then I pointed out, to this fairly well to do Kirkland crowd, to keep in mind my daughter had a puny two speaker stock system, not even a bass speaker or subwoofer, and it was good odds that anyone on that arbitration panel had played music on their fancy sound systems much louder than that while passing through Kirkland, so it was pretty obvious this was harassment. They reduced the penalty. although she still had a criminal record. The vague and unmeasurable law still stands. While researching that I also discovered that it is completely illegal to even own a slingshot in Kirkland, but shooting a gun in your backyard is OK. Yes, I would like to move.....

friluftsliv
wolffie

wolffie
PostThu Feb 18, 2016 11:23 am 
alpendave wrote:
WAC 352-32-100 Disrobing. (1) No person shall dis- robe in public in any state park area. (2) Clothing sufficient to conform to common standards shall be worn at all times. (3) Any violation of this section is an infraction under chapter 7.84 RCW.
Oops. So much for summer hiking in my Speedo. I was once wearing a backpack, a pair of boots, and a Speedo when a young family of four suddenly appeared around a bend. I keep my running shorts handy, but this caught me by surprise -- I'd thought it was a remote-enough place, but my old map didn't show the new logging spur these folks had motored up. Another advantage of a cute little dog: it makes me look less like a psycho. I hope, anyway. But WAC 999-77-999 says (1) No person shall annoy me by playing their infantile mechanical crap muzak in public. (2) Any violation of this statute will be punished by an eternity in the fires of Gehenna, trying to tune a banjo.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostMon Jun 20, 2016 4:54 am 
At least Washington gets it right. My wife and kids camped at Bullards Beach on the Oregon Coast and had to listen to people's radios. Some other idiots were watching their tv outside their RV and she had to hear that too. I contacted the powers that be and this was the reply from Sherri Miller at the OPRD: "Thank you for your email. Oregon State Parks have quiet hours from 10pm to 7am. During the daylight hours, there are no specific rules for volume levels of radios or TV’s."

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jun 20, 2016 7:11 am 
alpendave wrote:
At least Washington gets it right. My wife and kids camped at Bullards Beach on the Oregon Coast and had to listen to people's radios. Some other idiots were watching their tv outside their RV and she had to hear that too. I contacted the powers that be and this was the reply from Sherri Miller at the OPRD: "Thank you for your email. Oregon State Parks have quiet hours from 10pm to 7am. During the daylight hours, there are no specific rules for volume levels of radios or TV’s."
And that seems quite reasonable. State Parks are not the place to go for quiet days. I find that the nights are quieter than even here at home. I sleep well. Calling folks idiots who happen to have a different style of life than you is rather narrow minded, don't you think? I know of a couple who have a motorhome and pretty much have to have a working TV for videos. They travel with a kid with severe Down's Syndrome who is, well, addicted and entertained by videos. One of the couple likes to get out and do things and the other is more of a TV recluse, too. So, they have TVs going. Does that make them idiots?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
trestle

trestle
PostMon Jun 20, 2016 7:41 am 
No, it's the absurd volume level that would make them an idiot. If you want to watch TV, videos, or youtube in a campground or park, no one cares as long as the sound doesn't fill the space of everyone else.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jun 20, 2016 9:58 am 
LizzyRN wrote:
Regulation or not, how about just common courtesy? Frustrating.
ditto.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostMon Jun 20, 2016 10:23 am 
trestle wrote:
No, it's the absurd volume level that would make them an idiot. If you want to watch TV, videos, or youtube in a campground or park, no one cares as long as the sound doesn't fill the space of everyone else.
This says it well. Before moving to our current location, we lived in a townhouse apartment on a busy road. Our neighbors would sometimes play loud music. We could always here the traffic go by. Our situation is was probably the everyday norm for a lot of people. With that said, the opportunity to get out and be away from that was always a precious one. People have a right to hear winter wrens or the sound of waves crashing on the seashore rather than having to listen to some narrow, selfish idiot who doesn't care whether his technogizmos are taking away someone else's nature experience. The purpose of parks is NOT to be another place for people to experience more of what they have in town.

Brucester

Brucester
PostMon Jun 20, 2016 3:13 pm 
It's only loud because it's not Abba or the Beetles?

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon Jun 20, 2016 3:41 pm 
If it is my music then EVERYONE has to love it! or Who gives a sh## about anybody else, I'm playing my music loud! or Nobody else is here except me, so I'll play my music loud. or I paid my 12$ for this campsite so I get to play my music loud. The last one is like my Dad at a restaurant - "I'm paying for this food so that means they have to treat me like I am the only customer and wait on me hand and foot, or I will bitch and moan".

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jun 20, 2016 5:22 pm 
Funny, I consider state parks to be mini-cities and I have the expectation that it will be noisier than my home, which is not in a city. I do put a mute on my violin when staying there. Where do you find these $12 spots in state parks? More like $20 for a spot and $30 to $40 for hookups of some kind in our fair state. The latter depends on whether you stay in a "popular" spot or not. Oh, and be sure to add in the fee for reservations, which seem to be needed more and more.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostMon Jun 20, 2016 8:48 pm 
There's no reason for people to crank up the volume on their electronics in campgrounds, and I don't think it would be unreasonable for the State Parks to place rules on noise throughout the day as well as the night. If you want to listen to music, TV, Radio, etc. do so with headphones.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
trestle

trestle
PostMon Jun 20, 2016 10:38 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Funny, I consider state parks to be mini-cities and I have the expectation that it will be noisier than my home, which is not in a city.
I live "in the country" and it is always quieter at my home than in any campground. I think that's why I like the beach, the forests, and the mountains and getting there on foot so much better.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jun 21, 2016 7:18 am 
trestle wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
Funny, I consider state parks to be mini-cities and I have the expectation that it will be noisier than my home, which is not in a city.
I live "in the country" and it is always quieter at my home than in any campground. I think that's why I like the beach, the forests, and the mountains and getting there on foot so much better.
I do find nights quieter in the parks. There are neighborhood coyotes around my house who wake me up with their caterwauling and then the dogs start barking. I haven't had that happen whilst urban camping (state parks). I have been awakened by raccoons rocking my former trailer. They were desperately trying to get into the cargo box. I stored dog food in it. The cargo box proved to be raccoon proof.

Frosty

Frosty
PostTue Jun 21, 2016 7:53 am 
Even I have a decibel meter app on my dinophone. It was free on the google apps page. As was the level app!

Frosty, Lucky enough to live where it snows in the winter! smile.gif