Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > National guard plan for 9.0 earthquake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu Jan 28, 2016 6:46 am 
Here is the current plan developed by the WA National Guard if the Cascadia Subduction Zone gets walloped with a 9.0 quake. The damage description is sobering. http://www.jeffcoeoc.org/documents/HLS%20Region%202%20-%20Jeff%20Co.pdf

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jan 28, 2016 7:10 am 
It is. That confirms what our emergency people say about East Lewis County. We will be on our own for some time after a big disaster. I see our area is blank in all the plans, except we have one old folks home and one airport. Well, kind of an airport. There are a few private airstrips scattered about, and lots of loggers and constructors with equipment.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostThu Jan 28, 2016 7:22 am 
Joey you appear to do very interesting and vital work this is pretty overwhelming just to imagine, cannot fathom putting into effect.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Jan 28, 2016 8:52 am 
I'm dead in port angeles eek.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
wolffie

wolffie
PostThu Jan 28, 2016 10:58 am 
Full Rip 9.0 Fascinating account of how they've pieced some of the geological evidence together. They got some of their dendrochronology from trees being illegally poached from the bottom of Lake Washington (really). I'll not spoil it and tell you how, but they've determined the last big earthquake here to the day; I forget the exact date but it was in 1700 if I recall correctly. Dendrochronology only fixed the date down to 1700 +/- 20 years.
bobbi wrote:
I'm dead in port angeles
Since you're going to be dead soon, can I buy some of your backpacking gear?

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Jan 28, 2016 11:15 am 
good one! wolfie lol.gif i do have awesome backpacking gear. tongue.gif do remember i'm 5 feet tall and my gear is for petite gals! MSR 1p hubba, 15˚ marmot helium sleeping bag, jetboil, sawyer filter, etc. are good for any size person! seriously, i'm hoping the BIG ONE will come after i am DEAD, DEAD! at 62 years young, it may be sooner than later lol.gif back to earthquake .... yep, the olympic peninsula is screwed! waah.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Jan 28, 2016 2:38 pm 
If Packwood and Lena Lakes are result of landslides from the Big One, what other new lakes can we expect. Oh and stay away from Ocean Shores.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Jan 28, 2016 4:29 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
If Packwood and Lena Lakes are result of landslides from the Big One, what other new lakes can we expect.
Glacier Lake (near Packwood Lake) was also created by a landslide; I wonder if both lakes were formed in the same earthquake?

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
mike

mike
PostThu Jan 28, 2016 6:46 pm 
wolffie wrote:
Dendrochronology only fixed the date down to 1700 +/- 20 years.
But it allowed them to find records in Japan of the date that the tsunami arrived there then backtrack to the exact time it occurred. We just had the aniversary a couple of days ago.

Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Jan 28, 2016 7:01 pm 
Midnight, January 27, 1700:

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostThu Jan 28, 2016 8:17 pm 
I actually feel much better having run though that PPT and seeing how much thought is going into the response plan. I just hope someone remembers to print a hard copy, since there won't be any power west of the Cascades for a long time smile.gif

If not now, when?
mike

mike
PostThu Jan 28, 2016 8:53 pm 
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat Jan 30, 2016 6:07 am 
Turns out that there is a national level training exercise that will happen on June 7-10 called "Cascadia Rising". The premise of the training is a catastrophic earthquake and tsunami on the cascadia subduction zone (CSZ). Washington State is the main focus of the training. Overview: http://nws.weather.gov/nthmp/2015annualmeeting/CascadiaRising.pdf Extensive description of the exercise scenario: https://huxley.wwu.edu/sites/huxley.wwu.edu/files/media/Cascadia_Rising_low_1.pdf

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jan 30, 2016 7:30 am 
Joey wrote:
Turns out that there is a national level training exercise that will happen on June 7-10 called "Cascadia Rising".
Wonder who decided to use that name? The conspiracy nuts will have an easy time making something out of that name. eek.gif Oh well. Train away cuz training is going to be needed someday. It pays off.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostMon Oct 24, 2016 7:49 am 
Here is the state’s *draft* after action report on the Cascadia Rising exercise. https://mappingsupport.com/p/cascadia_rising/CR16-State-AAR-Final-Draft-Oct-21-2016.pdf Snips from the executive summary: There is an urgent need for residents to prepare. Despite the ongoing public education efforts and community preparedness programs, our families, communities, schools, hospitals, and businesses are not prepared for the catastrophic disaster that a worst-case CSZ earthquake would cause. While the principal goal of initial response is to sustain the maximum number of survivors until a robust transportation capability is restored, the clock is ticking to a humanitarian disaster. Because of the severe damage to the power grid, transportation networks, and drinking water facilities, the first order damage from intense shaking, liquefaction, landslides, and large tsunami will lead to second and third order problems of food and water shortages, sanitation issues, heating issues, and other public health and healthcare related issues.