Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Towns in Western Washington for retirement
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jan 30, 2016 7:27 am 
For your research. http://www.lewiscountysirens.com/ I guess their crime level isn't as bad as Seattle, but they are having an increase. I read more about car thefts, car break ins, and stealing of anything not locked up. I prefer to live in communities where if you forget something in your unlocked car, chances are good that it will be there in the morning. My porch is a mess of things that would be stolen off it if I lived in the city.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostSat Jan 30, 2016 9:04 am 
Schroder wrote:
That's going to be a real challenge anywhere in the Puget Sound area. A quick look at Redfin shows the only 2BR homes in that range are in Aberdeen area and Centralia and possibly Bremerton.
Can't speak for the other two towns, but in Bremerton, that price will only get you something in a dark hole inhabited by methies.

RichP

RichP
PostSat Jan 30, 2016 12:20 pm 
Sequim has mobile home parks. A quick search reveals several properties in your price range. Not sure if there is a rental of the lots in these involved, but that is typically fairly low. http://www.trulia.com/property/3223338711-921-S-3rd-Ave-2-Sequim-WA-98382

silence

silence
PostSat Jan 30, 2016 12:53 pm 
Check out Mt Vernon

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Jan 30, 2016 1:03 pm 
Mt Vernon/Burlington/Sedro Wooley is a pretty hot real estate market right now. Not many bargains around there.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSat Jan 30, 2016 1:46 pm 
If housing prices on the West coast were as cheap as midwesterners are used to and expect them to be, I get the impression the midwest would empty out in about 3 months. agree.gif

friluftsliv
Bird in Hand

Bird in Hand
PostSat Jan 30, 2016 5:03 pm 
It may be, or feel, too far away but I'm loving Ellensburg. I walk most places. After living in West Seattle this is a snap. It's less expensive, much friendlier and the U here has lots of classes to engage with. I'm taking one now on local geology. Great stuff.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Jan 31, 2016 11:54 am 
I thought Seattle prices were bad. This one is on the market in Vancouver, BC:
$ 2,398,000 Normal residential neighborhood, not any special zoning or anything to drive an unusual price.

mike

mike
PostSun Jan 31, 2016 12:13 pm 
Same in Victoria. With lots in Oak Bay >$1M the houses are tear-downs...or re-purposed by the Home Trust. We have about 10 in progress.

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Feb 01, 2016 9:03 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
The San Juans are extra special and technically not in Puget Sound :P
75K in the San Juans? Maybe a lot? I don't think people are reading the requirements of this thread...

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Feb 01, 2016 9:54 am 
You may have to see about a short sale of a foreclosure in places like Spanaway. I sure don't have any other ideas for $75,000. I don't think a market value purchase for $75k or under doesn't exist within 2 hours of Puget Sound. Perhaps purchase a fixer-upper mobile home, but that price wouldn't include a lot purchase or rental, and other fees. frown.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
mike

mike
PostMon Feb 01, 2016 10:00 am 
tigermn wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
The San Juans are extra special and technically not in Puget Sound :P
75K in the San Juans? Maybe a lot? I don't think people are reading the requirements of this thread...
Not even a lot...x2 that. smile.gif The requirements of the OP could maybe be met in fly-over country or the rust belt. Nowhere on the wetside.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon Feb 01, 2016 12:12 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I prefer to live in communities where if you forget something in your unlocked car, chances are good that it will be there in the morning. My porch is a mess of things that would be stolen off it if I lived in the city.
so you're talking about my neighborhood in Seattle? One where all the neighbors keep an eye on each others houses? We get text updates from the neighbors about which back porch our cat is sleeping on. The one where people give the little old lady on the corner a ride to the market? Where the neighborhood kids are offering to mow the lawn...for a small donation of course. Where I have left music equipment in the van and it was still there in the morning? I wouldn't live anywhere else in the Pungent Sound area, 10 minutes from: 5 music stores at least 10 grocery stores 2 hospitals Downtown Both Stadiums My wife's church Work - both of our jobs 45 minutes from the Ira Spring Trail head I love it. BTW I bought my house in 1994 for 2x what you are looking for (a steal in todays market). The worst thing that has happened in our neighborhood is when one of the neighbors took in their Meth addled "recovering" junkie niece from Yelm...she brought the white trash trailer troubles into the 'hood for a brief period, luckily now gone.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Feb 01, 2016 12:23 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
I prefer to live in communities where if you forget something in your unlocked car, chances are good that it will be there in the morning. My porch is a mess of things that would be stolen off it if I lived in the city.
so you're talking about my neighborhood in Seattle? One where all the neighbors keep an eye on each others houses? We get text updates from the neighbors about which back porch our cat is sleeping on. The one where people give the little old lady on the corner a ride to the market? Where the neighborhood kids are offering to mow the lawn...for a small donation of course. Where I have left music equipment in the van and it was still there in the morning? I wouldn't live anywhere else in the Pungent Sound area, 10 minutes from: 5 music stores at least 10 grocery stores 2 hospitals Downtown Both Stadiums My wife's church Work - both of our jobs 45 minutes from the Ira Spring Trail head I love it. BTW I bought my house in 1994 for 2x what you are looking for (a steal in todays market). The worst thing that has happened in our neighborhood is when one of the neighbors took in their Meth addled "recovering" junkie niece from Yelm...she brought the white trash trailer troubles into the 'hood for a brief period, luckily now gone.
You have things on your list that are not important to me. But good for you. I have been looking at moving back to the Okanogan area. Sill looking... Traffic is not as crazy, and that area is justright for me. Even so, it may mean I must put things away instead of leaving them out. Nobody else should move there because 3 stoplights are enough!

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Feb 01, 2016 12:34 pm 
for some perspective... It took us a lot of searching and compromise back in 1985 to finally buy a house for around the $75k price the op is looking for. We had to move out of the Bay Area, where we were living, buy a tumble down foreclosure and put in a ton of sweat equity over the next 30 years. For retirement, we still won't be able to afford to stay in Western WA, but will cash out our house to help fund our marginal retirement fund, and after much searching, will be moving to a cheaper upcoming area, again a long distance, with compromises of course, but a lot of good. You need to think out of the box. But I will say, for <$75k, in today's dollars, I think Wisconsin or North Dakota is about as good as you are going to get. But I could be wrong....

friluftsliv