Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > PUD
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jan 29, 2016 8:45 pm 
Facebook is currently blowing up about their PUD bills being double, triple, and sometimes quadruple. This has come about since they went to monthly billing instead of every two months. Apparently they only read the meter once out of the two months and the month they don't read the meter they estimate the bill according to what it was last year. One person commented that they have a house that was completely empty with no one using utilities other than a few lights, and their bill was over $200 since it was based on last years usage. Something seems off here, anyone having similar problems?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostFri Jan 29, 2016 11:08 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Facebook is currently blowing up about their PUD bills being double, triple, and sometimes quadruple. This has come about since they went to monthly billing instead of every two months. Apparently they only read the meter once out of the two months and the month they don't read the meter they estimate the bill according to what it was last year. One person commented that they have a house that was completely empty with no one using utilities other than a few lights, and their bill was over $200 since it was based on last years usage. Something seems off here, anyone having similar problems?
I don't get the problem here. The next time they read the meter they adjust the bill. They are not charging people for electricity they don't use. Chelan PUD estimates my usage for a six or seven month stretch every winter, it's not a problem. Also, the PUD is not "they," it's "you," the customers own it. If it was a private utility you'd be paying way more for electricity. Count your blessings.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jan 29, 2016 11:14 pm 
CC wrote:
I don't get the problem here.
Well then you are likely not one of those who's bills have gone sky high since the monthly billing took effect. http://jessejones.com/story/new-billing-shocks-snohomish-county-pud-customers/ Here is a quote from just one of many dissatisfied customers... "Same here, my boyfriend and I have had the same issue at our house. Our 2 month bill was the same amount as our one month bill. They are guessing how much we've used instead of checking the meter.".

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jan 30, 2016 5:59 am 
The example in the Jessie article is a case where the house was unoccupied the prior year. When electricity is used to heat I would expect a big jump from a "above freezing " to a "cozy" thermostat setting.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Jan 30, 2016 7:59 am 
Over here on Whidbey, PSE has replaced the meters with electronic ones. No meter readers. They're all connected to the computer that sends out the bill.

Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostSat Jan 30, 2016 9:27 am 
Schroder wrote:
Over here on Whidbey, PSE has replaced the meters with electronic ones. No meter readers. They're all connected to the computer that sends out the bill.
Same here...electronic ones. Though the power company that supplies my power say that they send a person once a year to check the numbers on the meter to make it matches the numbers sent in electronicly. I get billed monthly for my power consumption...a little over $65 for December.

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln
Alpine Pedestrian

Alpine Pedestrian
PostSat Jan 30, 2016 9:52 am 
As CC said, "The next time they read the meter they adjust the bill. They are not charging people for electricity they don't use." The higher bill is a short-term shock. Will customers also be furious when the next meter-read bill shows a very low bill or even a credit? The bill will reflect actual usage over time. How many ways does the PUD have to explain the alternate-monthly estimating before people get it?

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Jan 30, 2016 10:30 am 
They should have a meeting to explain the new method.....

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Jan 30, 2016 10:30 am 
Well, apparently this only has happened to non-hikers, not surprising. "My bill was twice as high in December than it ever had been. 400 something instead of 120 usually.". "I agree bc I haven't been home for two weeks and my bill is three x then when I was home.". "Since they switched to monthly it has increased greatly. Mine was about 180 every other month. This month it was 147.". "Yes, it's to high! I'm paying an extra $150 per month. Almost double my PUD Bill. My kids gone more than ever and I work all day. Nobody home most of the week and weekend, but yet my bill continues to increase each month.". "My bill was $175, usually $50.". "One ok bill the next crazy high!". So, I guess all these people and many more have it wrong and you guys are correct? Again, not surprising.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Jan 30, 2016 10:43 am 
We don't fall for media brainwashing based on the complaints of a few confused people. Even the article you copped those quotes from explains it simply and completely. Of course if you want to panic over nothing, go ahead. I have Snohomish PUD, and they are an excellent service provider at a very reasonable price.

mike

mike
PostSat Jan 30, 2016 10:56 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
So, I guess all these people and many more have it wrong and you guys are correct? Again, not surprising.
All you have to do is go out and read your own meter and do the math. It also doesn't hurt to check your property for faulty equipment etc. which may be spinning the meter. e.g. a friend had a septic line break in the sump tank so the pump was running continuously.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Jan 30, 2016 12:58 pm 
My bills look to be about half of what they were with the bi-monthly cycle. Haven't noticed anything at all out of the ordinary so far. Maybe it depends on what kind of meter you have? My house is only 4 years old so it may have a smart meter (not sure, too lazy to go look).

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSat Jan 30, 2016 3:11 pm 
The PUD pays for electricity. Go solar!

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostSat Jan 30, 2016 6:53 pm 
I just pulled my bills and compared to last year. I don't see anything out of order. Every two months - when they read the meter - you get the comparison with the previous year - just as they did when they billed every two months. The two months ending Dec was up about 7% but then the temperatures were colder in 2015 than 2014 (40 low in 2014 and 37 low 2015). You notice - that Jessie didn't really do anything special for the person on the video. It was all informational. It is just change.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jan 31, 2016 9:36 pm 
Well, apparently us hikers are immune to problems with this new billing system. up.gif I myself think it is ridiculous for them to go to monthly billing without also reading the meters every month, instead, they "estimate" the amount. There seem to be an awful lot of people having massive increases in their bills and I find it hard to believe that they are all FOS...in spite of the comments of the all knowing NWHiker community. http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/2015/11/10/utilitybillproblems/75546332/