Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Cluster at Stevens Pass Ski Resort
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
christensent

christensent
PostMon Feb 01, 2016 6:53 pm 
I've been at Stevens at least one day pretty much every weekend this season, and for at least the last month if you're not there by 9:10am most days you're in the shuttle lots, and many days if you're not there by 9:30am, you're not skiing. Stevens claiming this is extremely rare even on weekends is inaccurate. At least it keeps the lift lines manageable. There's nothing they can do about it, they've had a permit request in with the USFS for years to get a new parking lot.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Feb 01, 2016 7:07 pm 
Sounds like they need to build a parking garage. That way they could stay in the existing footprint. Or, run a bus service.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
trestle

trestle
PostTue Feb 02, 2016 7:34 am 
Blame the fat skis, now everyone can ski powder. biggrin.gif

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Feb 02, 2016 8:32 am 
Schroder wrote:
They expect the skiers know that it's a fluid situation.
It sounds like at Crystal Mountain Resort they will give you a free lift ticket for your long road trip efforts. They don't just expect you to understand. Crystal is a class act!

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Feb 02, 2016 4:15 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
Five people without a helmet?

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Feb 02, 2016 6:42 pm 
Sno-parks at Snoqualmie were full this past Sunday as well (don't know about Saturday). Which was posted on DOT reader boards on 405 on the approach to I-90, as well as along I-90. Lotsa people wanting to go play in the snow.

melc

melc
PostSun Feb 07, 2016 11:36 pm 
Snoqualmie has been a cluster too. At least at Snoqualmie a big part of the problem is that a lot of people just want to come up to sled. The ski area sled hill limits ticket sales. The Hyak Sled hill run by the state fills up fast. It is not Ok to sled outside of these 2 locations anywhere on the Pass. The state really needs to open another sledding hill option from late Dec thru Feb. People are parked illegally all over Snoqualmie pass. I'm really surprised Kittitas County sheriff isn't up there ticketing. I sorta think they aren't cuz it gives them a good excuse not to have to plow in the far reaches of the county. Snoqualmie has been worse this year than I ever remember it. People parking in gore points on freeway ramps. Sledding in the side of the free way. Drivers who are paralyzed by the snow blocking traffic. Cluster is also term I use to describe the insanity. wink.gif Please watch your speed when driving through the Hyak area. Children and pets live at many of the houses in the neighborhood.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Feb 08, 2016 9:32 am 
I arrived the Hyak/Summit East parking around noon, "lot full" sign at the entrance, fortunately some was pulling out, so I. Snagged a spot. WSDOT signs along I-90 warned of full lots at the Hyak Sled hill. The new Rampart chair at Hyak/Summit East is nice. Lots of parents skiing with kids. Despite full lots lift lines weren't bad at Hyak/Summit East and for a couple runs on Silver Fir.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Feb 08, 2016 11:59 am 
Yeah, the Rampart work opened up a bit more nice terrain. People seemed to be having lots of trouble with the magic carpet loading system the one time I rode that lift. To the point where the liftie was kind of getting grumpy and telling everyone loudly that "it really IS a better way to load lifts!"
melc wrote:
People are parked illegally all over Snoqualmie pass. I'm really surprised Kittitas County sheriff isn't up there ticketing.
Yeah, the parking has gotten more creative than ever this season! And I've not noticed tickets on the creative parkers. OTOH, I've seen the FS out ticketing along the stretch of sno-parks going from the road up to Kendall Knob/Lakes all the way down to the end of the plowed road by the access to Mt Margaret, with a LOT of cars getting tickets along there. When the ranger checked my window, she mentioned wishing that they were able to catch more folks before they left their cars, as she'd rather sell them a sno-park pass than write them a ticket. Too bad they don't have some sort of self-serve permit system like the State Parks do...

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Feb 08, 2016 12:46 pm 
joker wrote:
People seemed to be having lots of trouble with the magic carpet loading system the one time I rode that lift.
The problem with conveyor belt loading is that people can't break the habit of sliding out. Conveyor belt loading is simple: Lean on the gate and let gravity do the work when the gate opens.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Feb 09, 2016 5:33 pm 
That worked fine for us and many others, but not so much for enough of a minority of riders that the lift was stopping an awful lot, even compared to the lifts at Central when the beginner classes are riding them. Sometimes a really good idea just doesn't work so well in practice. Maybe everyone is getting used to that lift now - haven't been back to it since that one trip.

wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Feb 17, 2016 11:25 am 
Jeff wrote:
population boom in Seattle. I also see it at climbing areas. Just drive I-5 to Seattle and you'll see it there too.
If you could know what it was like in the '70's, it would break your heart. It breaks mine. You did need a trailhead permit for the Enchantments even then, but a reservation? What's a reservation? We used to just bivvy along the river in Icicle Canyon before all the Private Property signs sprang up (This land is my land, not your land, keep out). I can't bear to go back there. Gradually, crowding became as important to planning as weather. Once, I was crushed because something forced me to drop out of a long-anticipated climb that I'd considered fairly remote; my friends aborted the climb because of the clusterf at the crux. The art of choosing a goal evolved into finding obscure ratholes that the madding crowd doesn't know about, can't do, or wouldn't bother with. Ingenious arcane skills developed, like saving a day-trip that's normally smothered in people for the middle day of a 3-day weekend when roads are quiet and many are off at bigger destinations, staying home for Folklife on Memorial Day weekend, or carefully saving Stupor Sunday or the Daytona 500 weekend for backcountry skiing when the motorheads are at the tube, or actively seeking bad weather to thin the crowd. But with kids or partners with more limited time and speed, one is trapped. A truly frightening, gut-wrenching moment came one Monday after a particularly frustrating weekend when I'd stupidly gotten myself caught in the herd on the mountain, parked on US2 on the drive home (why I never like to get back to the car before dark), and driving past all the strip malls, billboards, and tickytacky that used to be forest. My Chinese colleague from Shanghai was ebulliently gushing about how open and empty everything is here. If there weren't so damned many of us, we could all have waterfront property. Maybe even a future.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Feb 17, 2016 1:39 pm 
I feel your pain, wolffie. My most poignant personal example is recalling the Issaquah Alps trailhead just south of I-90 exit 13 providing access to a trail going up the Lewis Creek drainage. Today, at the wrong time in the afternoon, I inch my way in the mile-long traffic jam heading south up Lakemont Blvd, where said trail was. When the Big One hits, maybe the Amazon techno-vermin and their ilk will leave and return to the high-tech ratholes they emerged from.

mike

mike
PostWed Feb 17, 2016 1:54 pm 
wolffie wrote:
If you could know what it was like in the '70's, it would break your heart.
Ah yes. Night skiing at Alpental. 45min to the parking lot on empty freeway. Ski right back down and onto chair without stopping. Ski like that until they kicked you off the mtn.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Feb 17, 2016 3:08 pm 
I still ski right onto the chair at night quite often! But busy weekend are a whole other deal...
AlpineRose wrote:
the Amazon techno-vermin
I don't like the crowding either but I find this sort of harsh name calling of neighbors and fellow recreationalists who have done nothing other than appreciate the same land as you to be sad at best. I guess it is another sign of the times, just like election rhetoric going nasty in a middle school sort of way.