Forum Index > Partners > Mount Rainier in july, looking for a partner!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Foxomuxol

Foxomuxol
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 7:35 pm 
Hi! I wish to ascend mount Rainier in july. I need a Partner to clim the cliff, we have to be at least 2 to obtain the climbing pass. This plan gives you an idea of the motion, but it's open to suggestions: Saturday16 july, transport, day1 : Montréal – Seattle Sunday 17, transport, day 2 : Seattle – Longmire – Pyramid Creek (3.81m) Monday 18, day 3 : Pyramid Creek – South Puyallup (9m) Tuesday 19, day 4 : South Puyallup – Golden Lakes (11.5m) Wednesday 20, day 5: Golden Lakes (rest) Thursday 21, day 6: Golden Lakes – Mowich Lake (10.31m) Friday 22, day 7: Mowich Lake – Dick Creek (9.5m) Saturday 23, day 8: Dick Creek – Granite Creek (7.68m) Sunday 24, day 9 : Granite Creek – Sunrise (4.6m) Monday 25, day 10 : Sunrise (rest) Tuesday 26, day 11 : Sunrise – Glacier Bassin (4.31m) Wednesday 27, day 12 : Glacier Bassin – Camp Schurman (2.5m) Thursday 28, day 13 : Camp Schurman – Top – Camp Muir (6.25m) Friday 29, day 14 : Camp Muir – Paradise (5m) Saturday 30, transport, day 15 : Paradise – Seattle Sunday 31 july, transport, day 16 : Seattle – Montréal As you noticed, I'm from Canada Montréal. I'm 40 and god experienced in hiking... The last day to get organized before we apply for the wilderness permit and the climbing pass is the 14 march. The 15 march every thing must be set. If you have any questions or if you want to participate, please don't hesitate. You are welcome!! GO!! Sebastien Lapensee seb_lapensee@hotmail.com

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Feb 04, 2016 7:56 pm 
A few things: 1) Are you planning on picking up the climbing gear and warmer clothing that you'll need to reach to the summit at Sunrise? The climbing gear: heavy boots, crampons, rope, crevasse rescue equipment, heavy winter clothing, winter tent will be at least 20lbs or more per person beyond what you'd need for Wonderland Trail backpack. You don't want to lug all that gear from Paradise to the Sunrise on the Wonderland. 2) You really need a minimum of TWO partners for the travel from Camp Shurman to Camp Muir -- for glacier travel rope teams of three or four are typical and usually a minimum of two rope teams. Rope teams of two require additional skills and equipment are typically only used by very experienced climbers. 3) The section of the Wonderland trail from Glacier Basin to Paradise over Panhandle Gap and Indian Bar is one of the highlights of the entire Wonderland trail. 4) Approximately 50% of Mt Rainier summit attempts result in people turning around short of the summit for a range of reasons: poor weather, altitude sickness, poor conditioning, etc. What is your backup plan if it is snowing, the wind is blowing 100kph and the fog is so thick that you can't see your feet at Camp Shurman ? (A not uncommon condition even in the middle of summer high on Mt Rainier -- the mountain sticks up so much higher that the surrounding mountains that it "generates its own weather") On a day when there is a blizzard above Camp Shurman and Camp Muir, it might just be a cloudy or even partially cloudy day 5000 ft lower in elevation on the Wonderland trail.

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostThu Feb 04, 2016 8:54 pm 
What is your fitness level, have you done any technical mountaineering before, and do you have the necessary equipment for this climb?

Foxomuxol

Foxomuxol
PostThu Feb 04, 2016 9:44 pm 
Just_Some_Hiker: I trained myself in the ADK, White Mountains, Green Mountains has if it is my playground. I've done the long trail Chic Choc twice, and juste came back from a trip in solo for 90 miles in primitive areas of the Grand Canyon: Recomended for highly experienced canyon hikers only.....!! Scarce or no water, non permanent structures, sanitations or sings, and unmaintained trails. Infrequent contact with others. In there I've been put in situations no much people are exposed, and today I am set for mount Rainier. The equipment I have, I miss the Partners....!! Still seeking, are you one of these to?? Sebastien

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostThu Feb 04, 2016 10:06 pm 
Foxomuxol wrote:
I trained myself in the ADK, White Mountains, Green Mountains has if it is my playground. I've done the long trail Chic Choc twice, and juste came back from a trip in solo for 90 miles in primitive areas of the Grand Canyon: Recomended for highly experienced canyon hikers only.....!! Scarce or no water, non permanent structures, sanitations or sings, and unmaintained trails. Infrequent contact with others. In there I've been put in situations no much people are exposed, and today I am set for mount Rainier. The equipment I have, I miss the Partners....!! Still seeking, are you one of these to?? Sebastien
What about crevasse rescue? Glacier travel? Being on a rope team?

SergioNapelo

SergioNapelo
PostSat Feb 06, 2016 1:34 pm 
Foxomuxol wrote:
Tuesday 26, day 11 : Sunrise – Glacier Bassin (4.31m)Wednesday 27, day 12 : Glacier Bassin – Camp Schurman (2.5m)Thursday 28, day 13 : Camp Schurman – Top – Camp Muir (6.25m)Friday 29, day 14 : Camp Muir – Paradise (5m)
Just heads up, July is the busiest month on the mountain. Camp Schurman has limited camping permits, Camp Muir will be a zoo on Friday.(I have been there on last weekend in July before smile.gif ) Reserve camping permits for high camps as early as possible. And.. I know few big groups (from climbing club) that are going to be camping at Camp Muir on Jul. 29-31 Good luck, and make shore you tell us on this site all about your adventure!

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains. From where shall my help come. My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth!" - David, King of Israel 1,000 BC
Wishywashycr

Wishywashycr
PostFri May 20, 2016 10:34 pm 
Are you still planning on hitting Rainier in July? If so, I may consider. If you could get back to me in regards if you still have space, it would be appreciated. Let me know if you need gear.... My email washburncr@gmail.com

Hit some of the biggest. Not into crowds. Winter accents... Yep. Love the heights. 25k is my next goal
Foxomuxol

Foxomuxol
PostSat May 21, 2016 3:44 am 
Hi guys!!! Finaly my trip had to be cancelled in regard of the new politics of the administration of the parc. This is there is no permit reservation, giving all places avalable in day to day acces. It's impossible for international foes like me to plan a trip in that region in those conditions. Anyway thanks for the advice, and good luck for those who have the chance to hike this beautifull place!! Sébastien