Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > How to deal with greedy, cute, and attention demanding cat?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostMon Feb 15, 2016 11:03 am 
I love my cat, however in her old age she is becoming increasingly greedy for attention (way more than your average cat). Sometimes I wonder if she forgets that I pet her recently for 15+ minutes . For a while I've tried to reduce the amount of times per week but still keeping them at a decent duration. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? She literally waits at my door to claw me for attention and thinks I'm her petting servant.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Feb 15, 2016 11:47 am 
She has imprinted you as her mother, and as she ages she reverts more and more to kitten mode. Have you consider pheromone therapy, e.g., Comfort Zone pheromone diffuser?

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon Feb 15, 2016 1:43 pm 
Josh by now you do realize you live in her house. You ARE her mom-servant, so do what she wants. Seriously, though, their little lives are so short and precious, give her as much love as you can. Appreciate that she still has the energy and health to demand your attention. I too am the parent of an aging kitty. Here are some ideas: Try some vigorous play periods followed by food, which hopefully will be followed by long periods of sleep. Provide a warm place for her to rest, i.e, on top of a heating pad, or under a desk lamp (with regular bulb), where she can watch you go about your business. Have you heard of Music for Cats? I'm not a fan of Kickstarter campaigns, but I plunked down my Visa for this CD. The charge has posted, so hopefully I'll receive the CD some day soon. Provide lots of lap time while you read, work on your computer, watch TV or videos.

contour5

contour5
PostMon Feb 15, 2016 2:02 pm 
Cats are itchy fuzzballs: they need constant grooming to remove all the loose hair and dander. They're also lazy, and prefer to be catered to by humans. Fortunately, there's a mechanized solution:

mike

mike
PostMon Feb 15, 2016 2:21 pm 
Put her furry demanding ass out. Works for us wink.gif

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Feb 15, 2016 2:49 pm 
contour5 wrote:
Fortunately, there's a mechanized solution
That "machine" is totally creepy. eek.gif Looks like something out of a haunted house. ~z

AR

AR
PostMon Feb 15, 2016 3:09 pm 
Yeah...that cat petting machine is going to give me F**king nightmares.

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostMon Feb 15, 2016 9:47 pm 
I have recently lost my 15 year old male snowshoe siamese cat to kidney disease. I wish I had spent more time petting him. He loved to be brushed and looked forward to his treat afterwards. In the end he started biting and rubbing againist me very hard which I took to mean he was in great pain and wanted me to fix it. I have lost pets over the years but none that I ever had for such a long time nor any that had endeared itself to me so closely. If you have an aging cat or dog you need to spend as much time with it, letting it know you are there for it.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostTue Feb 16, 2016 3:31 am 
Ditto cdestroyer. For animal lovers, the circle of life gets really difficult towards its inexorable completion. I put down my loyal hound two years ago and I still miss her big hound eyes watching me from one of her four comfy beds waiting for that morning noodle and her egg burrito. She was a bit spoiled. hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif Tom

cartman

cartman
PostTue Feb 16, 2016 6:39 am 
What AR and cd said. My guy is going on 18 and is still in good health (with meds), active and engaged with life. I consider myself incredibly fortunate. Tips: Play time. Keeps them mentally and physically active and interested. Lots of attention. Keeps them happy and content, and pays good health dividends for you too. My cat also wants to be petted more than before, and I indulge him plenty including lap time. It's easy to multi-task with my cat on my lap while I'm on the computer, or next to me while reading. A bed they really like. I found after I left it out one day that Bubba absolutely loves my down sleeping bag to curl up on (or sometimes in). So I left it out. If a cat finds a spot where they feel super comfortable and secure, it improves rest time and health. Make sure your cat gets her annual exam. Cats are notoriously good at hiding illness, and an annual blood test will catch many problems--like my guy's overactive thyroid. Also, older cats need better food as their kidneys start to fail, so he gets prescription food only--has less protein and is easier on his kidneys. Cut out any human food, it's not good for them at that age.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Feb 16, 2016 10:19 am 
My 5 year old black burmese female, normally boisterous and demanding has been unusually silent coming out of her hiding place only at night to feed and use the litter box. The last couple of days she just sits silently or roams from room to room. Their personalities were as different as night and day. I guess she feels the loss as much as I do. Now she will get all the attention she so demanded before.

wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Feb 16, 2016 12:58 pm 
Bacon. I thought you would've known that by now. Somebody built a tennis-ball-throwing robot for dogs. I am sure some evil genius has devised computerized cat/dog robot toys with behavior unpredictable enough so the animal doesn't get bored with it. A remote-controlled toy car is the ultimate puppy toy; imagine one with an electronic brain. Welsh corgis are famous for their vacuumicidal hysteria (mine is full of tooth marks), so I wish I has a Roomba -- a robotic vacuum cleaner that prowls around the house randomly, avoiding obstacles, and eventually so thorough it gets 3% of the dog hair.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostTue Feb 16, 2016 3:31 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
Have you consider pheromone therapy, e.g., Comfort Zone pheromone diffuser?
Not really. To be honest I don't really understand how effective it is.
AlpineRose wrote:
Josh by now you do realize you live in her house.
I'm aware of this. cool.gif Keeping her off the table is tricky at times.
AlpineRose wrote:
Try some vigorous play periods
I should try this. Planned.
AlpineRose wrote:
Provide a warm place for her to rest, i.e, on top of a heating pad, or under a desk lamp (with regular bulb)
I don't have either of these. If I did get a lamp, would it provide enough heat to make a noticeable difference?
AlpineRose wrote:
Have you heard of Music for Cats?
I have not. As other commenters on YouTube mentioned it doesn't feel like we have a solid sample.
mike wrote:
Put her furry demanding a** out. Works for us wink.gif
When she is put outside she will constantly be scratching at the window. This is a desperate house cat we are talking about. wink.gif Little milk bribes help, however eventually she will go back to clawing people for attention.
cdestroyer wrote:
I wish I had spent more time petting him. He loved to be brushed and looked forward to his treat afterwards.
She is about 16 years old now, by far the oldest pet I've had the privilege of having. I've given her a lot of love and snuggles. I recall a while back even when petting her 3 times for 20 minutes in a given day (an hours worth) she kept demanding more. It's never enough for my cat just like how we can never get enough hiking in. Granted at the end of the petting session she looks very pleased. Once my hand therapy is over I could have her on my lap while watching videos. Right now I dedicate that time to the exercises. If I had her on my lap during that time she would endlessly claw at me for attention.
cartman wrote:
My guy is going on 18 and is still in good health
My cat is pretty healthy also. Not as fast as she used to be at 16, however she still can fight off the dog when he gets in her face.
cartman wrote:
Play time. Keeps them mentally and physically active and interested.
Will keep this in mind. She's not over weight, however I'm sure this would be good for her. For years she has done a lot of neighborhood traveling, however I'm assuming it's less these days.
cartman wrote:
A bed they really like.
Before we had a box, as of very recently my mom brought over a cozy cat bed for her. Combined with the box (cats love boxes) it should be a good combo. It's off the floor too which should deter Rex.
cartman wrote:
Also, older cats need better food as their kidneys start to fail, so he gets prescription food only--has less protein and is easier on his kidneys. Cut out any human food, it's not good for them at that age.
What kind of food out of curiosity? As for human food I pretty much only give her a little bit of pure chicken and a small amount of milk on occasions. Is this bad practice?

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Feb 16, 2016 9:18 pm 
Re: desk lamp. A normal bulb throws off plenty of heat. It's why they burn out. I have desk lamps in two locations, and my kitty will curl up under the bulb when I'm near the lamp reading, eating or on the computer.
Quote:
What kind of food out of curiosity? As for human food I pretty much only give her a little bit of pure chicken and a small amount of milk on occasions. Is this bad practice?
A little human food is OK as a treat. Stay away from anything with onions (which are lethal) or garlic. Cats have very specific nutritional requirements, so unless one is prepared to add those requirements to human food, they should predominantly be fed food specifically formulated for cats. Goat milk is better than cow's milk, which most cats can't digest very well. There is a lot to know about feline nutrition. When my 17 year old boy was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease (CKD) over a year ago, I needed to learn how to support him nutritionally, so I had to study up on it. Consequently, I probably now know more than most vets. Note this is not to besmirch vets or brag about me. Vets, like people doctors, are given very little nutritional training in school. Too often they act as proxies for the commercial pet food companies, with bad results for our pets long-term health. Unfortunately, this includes the prescription diets. This website on feline nutrition can get you started if you want to learn more. Check out the site's "Helpful Links" for more information. Then start reading cat food labels to ensure you buy only products containing high quality protein without a lot of the cheap carb fillers that make pet food highly profitable for the pet food companies but are very bad for your cat. In a nutshell, cats are obligate carnivores requiring protein predominantly from meat. Their evolution as desert animals means they derive most of their water intake from food. If fed only dry kibble, a cat will be in a chronic state of dehydration, NO MATTER HOW MUCH THEY DRINK. It is physically impossible for a cat to drink enough to make up for a dry food diet. Consequently, one might say any wet food is better than any dry kibble. My boy's CKD was likely the result of chronic stress on his kidney from 15+ years of a diet of dry (prescription) kibble. I didn't know any better. Now he gets canned food with high quality protein and lower phosphorous content. Some schools of thought say to restrict protein for CKD. Some say to feed normal protein content, but good of quality. I subscribe to the latter. All say to restrict phosphorous for CKD.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostTue Feb 16, 2016 11:18 pm 
Thanks AlpineRose for the thoughtful reply about healthy food for cats. cool.gif How far away do you recommend the lamp bulb from the cat bed? 12 inches? Just trying to get an idea of what to look out for for optimized kitty comfort. I'm super broke at the moment, however next month should have more money. As for everything else, I saved a link to the website as well as your post when the time is right (as in when I get more money). I recently started eating way healthier myself (almost purely veggies and fruit) but am glad to have encouragement for my cat as well.