Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > How to deal with greedy, cute, and attention demanding cat?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cartman

cartman
PostWed Feb 17, 2016 11:47 pm 
wolffie wrote:
I am sure some evil genius has devised computerized cat/dog robot toys with behavior unpredictable enough so the animal doesn't get bored with it.
I bought a battery powered ball that would move itself and go off in another direction every time it bumped into something. My normally bold cat was scared as hell of the thing. He didn't know what to make of it. Unfortunately (?) it didn't last very long. Back to manual play...
wolffie wrote:
a robotic vacuum cleaner that prowls around the house randomly, avoiding obstacles, and eventually so thorough it gets 3% of the dog hair.
That much? Geez, I can get more of that off the floor with my clothes walking across the room. Bloody hair has a mind of its own, I swear it leaps onto me whenever I'm not looking.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cartman

cartman
PostThu Feb 18, 2016 12:14 am 
Josh, The exercise is even more for keeping their minds engaged and interested in life as for the workout. Cats need mental stimulus too. I have a couple of tennis ball sized fuzzy balls with fuzzy fill. He can bat those around and even pick them up and toss them with his claws. Has a blast with those, I'll bounce them off the walls for him to chase. The main challenge is fishing them out from under the furniture where he can't reach them. Cats like to be high (off the floor). It's one reason they jump onto furniture, as it gives them a better view of their world, and makes them feel more secure. You can try to keep them off the furniture, but they'll be right back up when you're not looking or not there. Don't bother trying to train them, it won't work no matter what you think. I don't restrict my guy, and he's usually content to stay at couch level if he has a nice place to curl up (sleeping bag or blanket). I give my guy Hills k/d Prescription Kidney Diet. Pricey though: $45 for an 8 lb bag, which lasts about six weeks. Worth every penny since it helps with the CKD. I regret giving him the store bought crap--there's not a single thing at grocery stores that is worth a damn. It's full of garbage filler (corn, animal byproducts etc). Bubba eats less and poops less now that he's on the good stuff, since he gets the nutrition he needs in a smaller volume and isn't taking in the junk that his body is processing uselessly. He's always had dry cat food. I've tried giving him wet food, but he doesn't seem to understand how to eat it, that he needs to grab chunks of it with his mouth. He'll lick the gravy then walk away. I've tried both the chunk and paste varieties. AR, any suggestions how to teach him to eat wet food? I do worry about hydration. His main change over the last couple of years is to be quite picky about his water, wanting it changed frequently. Will only take it out of the bathroom tap now. Doesn't even want filtered water. I'd personally stay away from the heat idea unless you only do it when you're there to monitor it. Too easy for the cat to get burned, or have the bulb start a fire.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Feb 18, 2016 1:05 am 
Cats can be a PITA, but I definitely prefer one over a dog due to usually being much lower maintenance. It's all about their personalities and whether or not they match yours, they truly are like people. My daughter recently moved in with me and brought with her 3 cats, one of which I decided to adopt, a black and white male "Tuxedo" cat. I love him but he definitely can be weird and annoying. He loves to go for walks with me around the neighborhood, especially at night. I have a high backed computer chair, the type that cats love to scratch and climb upon, and as soon as I get home he runs to the chair, knowing I will be on the comp, he is like a fur collar snuggling my neck, lol. She has a female orange cat who's fur feels like a bunny rabbit, and her personality is needy, nice, then suddenly violent. We were on vaca for a week and while I was petting her she suddenly dug about a dozen claws into me, drawing blood in several places. Later that evening she was laying on the bed and I was petting her as if nothing had happened. I am forgiving and she seems to be as well, lol. Then comes my favorite, my daughters baby, a 7 year old Seal Point Male Siamese....I love that cat, mostly for the fact that he is very intelligent, does not demand a lot of attention, but really appreciates it when he does get it. So Josh, my point here is...next time get yourself a Siamese, as I plan to do eventually. Cats are complicated!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Feb 18, 2016 9:43 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
a 7 year old Seal Point Male Siamese
My 5 year old buddy. He is currently convalescing after being mauled by a dog...and him being 18lbs, it was a big dog that bit him, luckily he is a tank. Staples, stiches and super glue are holding him together. He has been locked in the house for a week now and miraculously the walls are still standing. He is extremely lovable, as in he gets his loving from all the neighbors, one actually bought a bed for him so he sleeps on her back porch while we work. If you walk down our street he will come out and roll at your feet, even if you have a dog - that might change now. He was our inheritance from the our backdoor neighbor, an older French lady who passed away 3 years ago. She named him Minou, basically French for "kitty". He arrived just as our older boys were leaving us. bawl.gif

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostThu Feb 18, 2016 10:28 am 
pretty cat coldrain108...An item I found a long time ago was the mysterious cat purr pad. most pet store have these. cats love them and I have found prefer to lie on them than that old rag they had before. ..Ever wonder why a cats tongue is barbed? it is so they can lick every piece of meat from bones. so what I do is mash the wetfood (pate) into something like a saucer plate for them to lick up..seems to work better that grabbing chunks of food.. my black burmese finally came to my lap, looked into my eyes and meowed. so I guess we go on together..

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Feb 18, 2016 10:38 am 
cdestroyer wrote:
pretty cat
unfortunately he now has a really bad hair cut...

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Feb 19, 2016 3:23 pm 
My wife was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer the same week the vet recommended we put down our aging dog. The local humane society has a program whereby they will take an end-of-life pet and try to adopt them into a hospice situation before putting them down. So we did that. Luckily she was adopted by a very gracious 18 girl. But my wife adopted a 15 year old cat while we where there. It is demanding more of our time and attention than our ailing dog ever did. But how do you deny someone with cancer the companionship of a very "loving" cat that is in about the same situation! Now I have two very loving companions.

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostFri Feb 19, 2016 4:37 pm 
Wow! What shelter runs a hospice program? Never heard of that before. Many high volume shelters are euthanizing young healthy animals for space. Most owner surrenders of senior dogs are euthanized immediately upon surrender. There is a mandatory waiting period for strays which buys those dogs some time.