Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Fake youtube site sometimes at top of google search results
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Feb 25, 2016 2:36 pm 
I just tried to go to youtube by searching "youtube" on Google, the first link that pops up is a scam link, not youtube at all. Here is the actual link provided under the youtube name: https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=CFmpCDnLPVsWtAsaE-gPR4ICQDODIraUI4JXp-90Cm-mE_gIIABABYMmOxo30pNAZyAEBqgQhT9DkL4jHpzicDEBt_9XBj0ONBVJSg6a0GUeHXC87hlucugUTCPKG2PDtk8sCFRToYwodIusOZsoFAIAHsLuKQ5AHA6gHpr4b2AcB&ei=DXLPVrLMPJTQjwOi1ruwBg&sig=AOD64_2eL4Ki4qBLKj9XLaFfWERqqj0qnA&clui=0&q=&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjyhtjw7ZPLAhUU6GMKHSLrDmYQ0QwIGg&adurl=http://suddyste.com/ Does anyone know where to report this? It seems to be a pretty obvious scam, and google is in on it, or making money off of it. In any case, beware, Google is generally incompetent and dishonest, and they are selling ad space to criminals, apparently.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Feb 25, 2016 3:02 pm 
It says "www.youtube.com/", instead of the real youtube being https://www.youtube.com/

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Feb 25, 2016 3:20 pm 
google search is taking me to the real youtube site -- perhaps you have some of search malware infesting your machine -- that is taking you to a fake site that wan't you to call thier 800 number and give you a 16 digit number + two two digit numbers.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Feb 25, 2016 3:30 pm 
You didn't understand my post, what you say is not possible. The real youtube shows up as well, and when I click on it, I go to the real youtube. The other site is sometimes the first advertised site, or is sometimes further down the results page. It cannot take anyone to the real youtube because it is a scam, and the url shows that. I have no malware of any kind, and the scam site goes to the scam site no matter what computer is used. Sorry, it is a scam site showing up on Google, and not anything to do with my particular computer, I have already checked it using two different computers, one that uses completely different malware and antivirus protection than mine does.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Feb 25, 2016 3:35 pm 
Macafee webadvisor says it is an "unrated parked domain". PS: google search doesn't "take you" anywhere, it lists search results, you have to select one to go anywhere. Don't select the real youtube, scroll down and you will (probably) see the fake site.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Feb 25, 2016 3:44 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
google search is taking me to the real youtube site
Having to use google to find youtube is like calling 411 to ask where your phone book is.

graffiti

graffiti
PostFri Feb 26, 2016 7:07 am 
Best thing to do is scroll to the bottom of the search results page and click on "Send feedback". More than likely they won't take any immediate action but they use that feedback to tune up their algorithms and eventually take care of the problem. And yes, you could be getting personalized search results. To check, make sure you are logged out of Google and try again.

And the meek shall inherit the Earth...um...if that's ok with you.
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Feb 26, 2016 11:45 am 
fastest way to get to Youtube: Use keyboard shortcut Ctrl+L to put the cursor in the URL field. Type 'youtube' and press Enter.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Feb 26, 2016 12:42 pm 
I tried it just now (2/26 AT 11:30AM) and the real Youtube site shows up as the first site and I couldn't find any fake/scam site. Since Google owns Youtube, it seems unlikely they'd let something like what you describe happen as a result of their doing (note that I'm not disbelieving you) or if it somehow did, allow it to continue for long. If it weren't for your insistence that it's not possible, I'd agree that it sounds like some kind of malware. I had that happen to me on 2 occasions where a malware infection brought bogus or scam or sales-oriented links to the top of the search results.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Feb 26, 2016 2:21 pm 
I was able to replicate Slugman's issue. Pretty nasty stuff. Basically pulled up chrome (a browser without adblock installed that I don't usually use). Entered youtube in the url area. No ad showed up. Tried it again and now first result was an ad for "youtube.com". When I clicked on the link it hijacked the browser. Showed blue screen, etc. Could not escape which is rare! Had to ctrl+alt+del to pull up task manager and shut down chrome to get out. The URL looks legit when you hover over it but then it changes the URL (via javascript) when you actually click on it. Super nasty stuff. No way I can see to report the ad. Edit: as graffiti mentioned, there is a way to report the ad via "page feedback" at the bottom of the page. After entering comments google will ask you to highlight the area of the page that is the problem. Unfortunately I can't get the ad to come up again. Sluggy, if you can still replicate the ad I would do that. Be sure to mention that the ad is showing youtube.com when you hover over it and then changing it via javascript when you click on the ad which takes you to a hijack site.