Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Monte Cristo -Trump Connection
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Mar 01, 2016 6:30 am 
Ancient politics is fair game here. (I think). Once a pimp moved to Seattle and later to Monte Cristo where the pimping business was better than all the gold and silver. Donald Trumps relative. http://www.kiro7.com/news/donald-trumps-grandfathers-history-in-seattle/131959179 Question - What actually inspired those miners to build the trails? Gold or the girls? wink.gif

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Mar 01, 2016 7:09 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
Huh. Was it the big hotel that burnt down? Anyone know?
Maybe a claim or title search would show his name. Perhaps he leased the inn from someone else. The building that I saw in the mid 1960's as a kid didn't seem very large. He may have simply ran a seasonal group of pup tents along a boardwalk and had young Chinese girls working the mining camp. That would be typical for the time period.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
bk

bk
PostWed Mar 02, 2016 3:04 am 
"Inspiration to build mining trails, girls or gold?": Seems it was the so-called (national) mining expert, Dickerman, who was brought in who assessed, "Yea, looks good." "Was it the big hotel that burned that belonged to Trump (grandfather)?": No, Trumps was a smaller boarding house, but in the same area, as I vaguely recall. Gwenda Blair's book, The Trumps: Three Generations ... has something like two chapters just on (Grandpa Trump and) Monte Cristo, and one chapter on Seattle, as I recall (like chapters 2 through 4, or something). Totally interesting for those interested in Monte Cristo history. (Maybe less interesting for busy individuals with a full plate, running for president, even if it is about your grandpa.) Before all this political nonsense, you could buy a copy of the book for a penny plus shipping. Now the price is more like full retail. Libraries have the book: http://catalog.sno-isle.org/polaris/search/title.aspx?ctx=1.1033.0.0.6&pos=1 (edited: I guess it's not linkable because it times-out . . . even though I wasn't signed into the library, 3/2/16) I think I've only read the relevant chapters 2 through 4. The long and the short of it is: while most all of the miners came up empty with their mining efforts (because Dickerman's assessment of the area's potential was not accurate) . . . at least all of the miners had room and board . . . provided by Trump's grandfather (about age 23 at the time) . . . who, unlike the miners, made out quite well from his (boarding house) business efforts. So Trump's grandfather was the smart one (financially): rather than joining the fruitless dreams of the miners, he made himself of service and catered to their misguided missions. (How those behavior traits translate to two generations later to someone running the country . . . is unknown.)

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Mar 02, 2016 2:56 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
Huh. Was it the big hotel that burnt down? Anyone know?
If you're referring to the lodge that burned down in the 1980's - that wasn't a hotel. It was a cookhouse for the Boston American mine. The largest hotel was the Hotel Royal and it was partially standing up high on Dumas Street until the early 1960's (the debris is still in a pile near Kyes grave). There was another large hotel farther up near '76 gulch.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Mar 02, 2016 6:36 pm 
The miners at Monte Cristo like most western mining town were almost all wage slaves and not one mule prospectors. Many were recent immigrants as the US let anyone in who was not sick. Most of the original prospectors sold out early to corporations such as the Rockefeller interests. Corporations like to keep labor costs low. The brothels were usually not much more than shacks in a special section of town. The bigger hotels were for potential investors. There was supposedly a trail over Ida Pass named for a sex worker.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn