Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Video of Avalanche Rescue Dog
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Mar 04, 2016 10:08 am 
This is a video of a cute dog who was trained in searching for victims of avalanches at Tamarack, Idaho. He looks a little like a Springer Spanial/Border Collie mix. http://www.idahostatesman.com/outdoors/playing-outdoors/article63980282.html

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wolffie

wolffie
PostFri Mar 04, 2016 11:33 am 
thanks for that; pretty cool to see a trained dog at work. Remember that case a few years ago wherein a guy on Granite Mt. called in his own rescue on his cell phone (!)? I remember that day; the avy danger was so bad I went up Mailbox. They got him out unhurt within hours (must've been an air pocket or something). I remember hearing that an avy dog was involved and hit on him almost immediately -- the cell phone triangulation helped, but only so much.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Mar 04, 2016 12:00 pm 
If potential victims rolled in stinky stuff before venturing out, untrained dogs would find them. That would be cheaper than using an avalanche beacon.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Mar 05, 2016 6:14 am 
If I was spending a lot of time in the snowy back country I'd train my next puppy to be an avalanche rescue dog so he could rescue me. I don't know how to do that kind of training. I can train puppies to shake hands and roll over. But, I've never had any luck training for retrieving. My dogs would always chase the ball and then run away with it, laughing all the way..

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Mar 05, 2016 8:10 am 
That's why there are Labs and Goldens and Chessies. Bringing things back is bred into them, and some do it naturally. Not all. I had a young Golden Retriever, about 6 months old who went swimming to bring me a dead bird that was floating. Icky but it was natural. She dropped it at my feet. The Used Dog brought things back, but needed to learn to let go. The Slightly Used Dog, who is a mutt, is retrieving but needs work on not playing keep away. She is not a dedicated, play with ball till you drop, dog, but we are working on it. She's pretty good at mind melding.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Mar 05, 2016 8:57 am 
treeswarper wrote:
The Used Dog brought things back, but needed to learn to let go.
The AKC Springer Spaniel breed is supposed to be a "bird dog" but, it's not that simple. One faction of the breed are show dogs and the other are bird dogs. The bird dogs bring things back.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Mar 05, 2016 3:25 pm 
The late Hysson (in my avatar) was 3/4 Lab and 1/4 Golden, and he wouldn't retrieve worth beans. He wouldn't swim, either!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
graffiti

graffiti
PostSat Mar 05, 2016 7:07 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
My dogs would always chase the ball and then run away with it, laughing all the way..
My cat just looks at me like I'm stupid.

And the meek shall inherit the Earth...um...if that's ok with you.
wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Mar 08, 2016 11:18 am 
Just get Wolffie's Avalanche Corgi Rescue Beacon. If you get buried in an avalanche, it emits a sound like a vacuum cleaner, and within 8.53 sec, every Welsh corgi within 75 miles will be frantically digging you out. I recommend you wait until the v.2.0 model comes out. The v. 1 models do not have an auto-shut-off on them. There were some horrifying accidents during beta-testing before this problem became apparent.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostTue Mar 08, 2016 6:20 pm 
Grannie:
Quote:
The late Hysson (in my avatar) was 3/4 Lab and 1/4 Golden, and he wouldn't retrieve worth beans. He wouldn't swim, either!
While that may be true, was Hysson a great companion, love kids, get along with other dogs/animals, and smile that Golden/Labby smile when content? I see great dignity and wisdom in that Pooch and I am confident Hyssson was doing his best to be a good dog. Tis all we can ask of our friends. up.gif up.gif Tom

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Mar 08, 2016 7:15 pm 
Hysson was a truly wonderful companion, great with my grandkids and (except for the retrieving part) extremely trainable. He was really good off leash and earned his Canine Good Citizen award. Although he decided that "come" was an optional command, "heel" worked every time! He was a marvelous hiking buddy, except when he decided to walk right in front of me and stop dead at any interesting smell. Fortunately, I never tripped over him, but I did train him to walk behind me on narrow trails. I still miss him badly, although it's been almost three years now since he succumbed to lymphoma. As with all dogs, he was a mixture of clown and unconditional love for me (it was mutual!).

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostWed Mar 09, 2016 3:46 am 
Granny,
Quote:
Hysson was a truly wonderful companion
Roger that and sorry for your loss. Any backfill on the name "Hysson?" There are some great dogs on this forum. Check out the new photo book The Dogist on Google. Tom