Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > "Sustainable" trailer
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Mar 10, 2016 8:32 am 
For guilt free RVing. Good for a base camp, I guess. http://www.homegrowntrailers.com/

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostThu Mar 10, 2016 8:41 am 
Interesting.
Quote:

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Mar 10, 2016 9:07 am 
What do they cost? I bought a cheap beater that needs interior work. I bought this one last week for $1,500. 1986 with a 4-banger R-22 Toyota motor with 60,000 on it. It's from the Yakima Reservation. The authorities said that I should have a RV to do FS campground hosting in Idaho because of the big bears there. I prefer sustainable tent camping. smile.gif

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Mar 10, 2016 10:12 am 
Then you must use a hemp cloth tent? Or a canvas tent? How about LNT, Leave No Tent? My plastic airstream is probably pretty non-sustainable. I'm not sure if fiberglass can be composted. Maybe it can be recycled? Plastic airstreams cost less than the sustainable trailer--a lot less.
Fiberglass trailers are supposed to have a long life.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Mar 10, 2016 10:22 am 
treeswarper wrote:
How about LNT, Leave No Tent?
I leave a small carbon footprint with a 4-banger motor compared to some folks with monster tow trucks.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Badger

Badger
PostThu Mar 10, 2016 3:52 pm 
Ironically I was just going to start a thread asking if anyone owns an RV and what the pluses and minuses are for owning one. Maybe I should start a new thread. Looking at buying some land and figured this would be a quick way to have 'housing' on it while I build. That or put up a kit log cabin. Thoughts?

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Mar 10, 2016 4:03 pm 
Badger wrote:
Maybe I should start a new thread.
up.gif Look in the Free section of Craigslist for the occasional trailer or camper. Sustainable/recyclable.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Mar 10, 2016 5:07 pm 
Badger wrote:
Ironically I was just going to start a thread asking if anyone owns an RV and what the pluses and minuses are for owning one. Maybe I should start a new thread. Looking at buying some land and figured this would be a quick way to have 'housing' on it while I build. That or put up a kit log cabin. Thoughts?
I lived in a 26 footer for two miserable years in the Methow Valley. Winter was not fun, but maybe you won't be having to live in one during the winter. Or maybe it will be built better. There are some 4 season ones made now with dual pane windows and insulation. I have a 17 foot fiberglass Casita that is easy to pull and is for traveling. It's a keeper.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Mar 10, 2016 10:06 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I have a 17 foot fiberglass Casita that is easy to pull and is for traveling.
Mine is a 1986 21ft. Toyota based Mini-RV. All of the big RV companies made these off of the Toyota SR5 rear wheel drive truck with duel wheels. It has all of the amenities including a head. The bunk is on top. In the rear mine has a table which I may need for doing paperwork. I am often far a-field exploring NW history and sleeping in the back of my car (wagon), cooking on a Coleman Lunar Lander with only a pot and a pan and a lantern for light. I won't be changing that. The Mini RV is just for work at a National Forest that I really care about.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Mar 11, 2016 8:01 am 
Here is my memory of Methow winters spent in the 1970 something Kit Companion. I had it in an RV park and plugged in. Luckily those two winters were relatively mild for the Methow. I don't think it got below zero until I finally found a house to rent. The big shock was when I left in November for a week and came back. The trailer stank. I found that the fridge did not work when temps got in the 20s. I ended up keeping food in a cooler outside, and renting a meat locker in Twisp for frozen stuff. The fridge started back up when spring temps arrived. The furnace did not work. I ran two space heaters, one in the bathroom and one in the front of the trailer. Feet would be cold, head would be hot, there would be frost on the walls in the morning. I plugged up half the windows and the roof vent with fiberglass batting. This trailer had no exhaust fan so no spaghetti or anything needing to simmer or boil was cooked in the winter. Oh, I had skirting around it and heat tape on the water hose. Summer wasn't bad. The trailer had AC.

RichP

RichP
PostFri Mar 11, 2016 8:40 am 
Badger wrote:
Looking at buying some land and figured this would be a quick way to have 'housing' on it while I build. That or put up a kit log cabin. Thoughts?
I think I would rather live in a yurt or teepee.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 11, 2016 8:58 am 
I like the concept, but I'm never going to spend money on an RV that has WOOD and other products that easily break down. Here is an example of a product that will almost never break down. Livin Lite RV

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Mar 11, 2016 10:25 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I like the concept, but I'm never going to spend money on an RV that has WOOD and other products that easily break down. Here is an example of a product that will almost never break down. Livin Lite RV
Those are pretty cool, but I'd be worried about scrappers stealing it! biggrin.gif Been looking into getting a small tow-behind for me and the pups. Needs to be lightweight as my 4 cylinder Toyota truck will be pulling it. The Casitas seem nice and now this one BPJ just posted goes on the list. I really do like the all aluminum construction. The reason people give away "free" RVs on Craigslist is because they're totally shot and the expense of disposal is really high. They're hoping some sucker will come along and take the problem off their hands. Like the guy giving away 100 used tires. None of them safe to use, he just doesn't want to pay the disposal fees. Craigslist cracks me up. I've never seen a free RV that wasn't in need of a complete overhaul which would exceed it's actual value.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Mar 11, 2016 12:19 pm 
The Casitas are heavier than other Fiberglass trailers. I would not go beyond the 13 footer if using a 4 cylinder. I pull my 17 footer with a 6 cylinder Ranger. I definitely feel it back there, but it does OK. We figure it weighs around 3000 pounds with stuff in it. I like the narrowness of it, it seems decadent to have, and the fiberglass trailers don't have as many joints to leak. The resale value is outrageous! Used fiberglass trailers are hard to find and seem to be priced high.

Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Mar 12, 2016 7:57 pm 
Nothing more sustainable or green than a tent towed behind a pair of legs....In a backpack. 'Jus sayin'. Camper? All I need is a 6x2 foot place in my car..... lol.gif