Forum Index > Photography Talk > Is Flickr dying?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostThu Mar 10, 2016 2:54 pm 
This morning a read an article that talks about Flickr making it's Uploader only available to Pro users once again. Years ago I was a paid Pro member ($25/year)and I had unlimited amounts of uploads as well as albums. Then they opened up the floodgates and everybody got everything for free including 1tb of storage space. Now apparently things will change again and the fee has graduated with the times and it will be $35/year with no ads as well. In a time of many cloud storage options I'm curious as to what other folks think about this change of course by Yahoo. Here is the link to the story I read.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Mar 10, 2016 5:16 pm 
This is a good free site and it works for posting pics here. http://tinypic.com/?t=postupload

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostThu Mar 10, 2016 6:33 pm 
For many people Flickr has been the go to site. Our admin Tom, has made it seamless to insert pics into posts from Flickr and a few other sites. Like many others, I have thousands of pics on their site as well. It sucks to have the back and forth with fees that they have gone through in recent years. Yahoo does not nor have they ever known how good of a photo site they bought years ago. I wish they had just leave well alone.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Mar 10, 2016 6:44 pm 
My pro account is on autopay. I prefer not to know. embarassedlaugh.gif I do like how any time I upload new pics from my camera, it automatically uploads them to Flickr at full resolution then marks them private. Then I just go through and mark the ones public I want public, and I'm ready to write a trip report and my cloud backup is done.

mike

mike
PostThu Mar 10, 2016 8:27 pm 
As a viewer only, not a user I find flickr to be the least appealing and most annoying of the major sites. A lot of times I just don't click thru. No tears shed by me if it disappears. YMMV

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Mar 10, 2016 9:07 pm 
I've heard rumblings that Yahoo is looking to consolidate considerably, which will involve selling off or shutting down many of their less or not at all profitable properties. Flickr is one of those that has been mentioned. I've seen some people suggesting that this Uploadr / Pro fee increase is a last ditch effort to pull in a little extra money before they shut the whole thing down. Considering how shoddily Yahoo has been run over the years, it wouldn't at all surprise me.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Mar 10, 2016 10:44 pm 
That would stink because so many trip reports on this site have flickr photos in them. One more arrow in NWH. frown.gif

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Mar 11, 2016 12:46 am 
I've lived through several flickr iterations. It's possible that I like it because of familiarity, but I haven't seen anything better. I HATE Instagram with its (previously) square photos and faux-old filters, 500 pix with a pop up asking to register on every visit, Google dropping Picasa and offering "Photos" with minimal organizational features, Apple abandoning Aperture for it's dumbed down "Photos" desktop/online app, and many other photo sites that don't do story telling as well as flickr. There are other paid sites that are good, so I don't see the problem with flickr charging a fee for actual services rendered. Maybe it will last, maybe not, I have the same photos stored elsewhere, but I still really like flickr.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Mar 11, 2016 10:35 am 
Guess there's something I don't understand... If you have to pay to upload pictures then the site is only useful for paid users. So this means there will be no more free option? It would be a shame if flickr dies because of what Magellan said - all the flickr photos that have been posted elsewhere. Wouldn't surprise me though. I actually like Photobucket's interface better from a design/ease of use standpoint but the image quality is crap and the site runs like it's powered by an old 286 on a 56K modem. If flickr goes away I guess I'll just put everything on my Zenfolio account. Heck, I should do that anyway since I'm paying for it but sharing images from Zenfolio is more difficult than from Flickr.

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostFri Mar 11, 2016 11:35 am 
Flickr will be available to all even after the fee starts, but uploading will not be available in bulk for free users and probably have a limited number of albums like it did before.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Mar 11, 2016 8:47 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
If you have to pay to upload pictures then the site is only useful for paid users. So this means there will be no more free option?
The Uploadr is just an automated tool that scans folders on your HD and automatically syncs their contents to your Flickr account. You can still use the upload utility that's baked into the website. It's just some premium convenience being stuffed behind the paywall is all.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Mar 12, 2016 12:05 am 
Sore Feet wrote:
The Uploadr is just an automated tool that scans folders on your HD and automatically syncs their contents to your Flickr account. You can still use the upload utility that's baked into the website. It's just some premium convenience being stuffed behind the paywall is all.
Ahh, I see. Well then it's completely useless to me anyway due to the way I organize pictures on my computer.

Gil

Gil
PostSat Mar 12, 2016 7:19 am 
This is horrible. A commercial enterprise is charging money for its services. This is The Man keeping me down.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini