Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > This is some scary stuff
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostFri May 06, 2016 8:29 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
NO! It isnt!
That should stop it. Faith is a wonderful thing....to an extent.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSat May 07, 2016 2:17 pm 
Quote:
The Earth has been through a heck of a lot worse. It has before and it will again.
And going forward humans will not necessarily be a part of it. The way things are going, Earth - taken as a whole - will be better off without this particular species.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat May 07, 2016 7:08 pm 
Look, whatever is going to happen is going to happen! "IF" and I say if because I don't believe that it is, but if this is human caused there is NOTHING that can be done about it! The "BIGGEST" contributors (China, India and so many other 3rd world nations) are "NEVER" going to comply to any regulations that may/might/could possibly make a difference! You can tie as many 1st world nations together as you want, they (we) arent the problem to begin with, and it isnt going to make the smallest dent in the problem! Good luck to you! moon.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
AR

AR
PostSat May 07, 2016 10:13 pm 

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
gb

gb
PostSun May 08, 2016 8:34 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Look, whatever is going to happen is going to happen! "IF" and I say if because I don't believe that it is, but if this is human caused there is NOTHING that can be done about it! The "BIGGEST" contributors (China, India and so many other 3rd world nations) are "NEVER" going to comply to any regulations that may/might/could possibly make a difference! You can tie as many 1st world nations together as you want, they (we) arent the problem to begin with, and it isnt going to make the smallest dent in the problem!
Actually, people like you are the problem and have been for the last twenty years or so. Kind of like dragging an anchor. You appear to get your information out of a hat. The US share of global CO2 emissions is second only to China. http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science_and_impacts/science/each-countrys-share-of-co2.html#.Vy9Y7dD5n8s China may have to act because cities like Peking are becoming uninhabitable. India for the second year in a row is having a record breaking heat wave. The US has the capability to make a substantial dent in CO2 emissions and has been on that path particularly in the past seven years. That said, human nature being what it is, mankind would only typically act when the s*&^ hits the fan. Ultimately, the cost of not acting will become so great that mankind will act. Stupidly, by that time it may well be too late. The insurance cost of just the Fort McMurray fire is currently estimated at $9 Billion, let alone the costs of firefighting and health issues from breathing smoke. Imagine what the cost will be when people have to evacuate their homes the result of rising sea levels all around the globe. The numbers will be in the many Trillions of $. And that is just the tip of the iceberg. Heatwaves will kill many thousands of others, crop failure and loss of drinking water will cause vast relocations and political strife. But not to worry. We can make our military much bigger to deal with political strife, terrorism and regional wars that break out. We'll pay for that instead with our tax dollars.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun May 08, 2016 8:59 am 
I will tend to take things more seriously on this forum when I see others on here setting examples of what we should do. At the very least you could carpool to your trailheads. Biking or hiking to go on a hike--hmmm, maybe a new hobby for you, would be very impressive. I see all this hand wringing about how "something" should be done but one answer to my set an example from a major whiner about it (I can't remember who it was} was "I'm waiting for the government to take action." Yup, that's really going to work well rolleyes.gif so you should stop your whining if you won't take individual actions of your own. So, we should be beyond the sky is falling phase and you should start taking your own actions instead of another 700 page thread on climate disaster. By not commenting on this any further, you will be saving just a bit of power, which results in less water going through a turbine, and maybe just a minutia of helping fish out. Not much, but it is a start for you if you really, really believe that "something must be done."

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSun May 08, 2016 9:46 am 
Leading by example is all very well and good. It is something everyone should try and do. However, why do you automatically assume that people posting here who are concerned by environmental issues aren't taking what steps they can to reduce their impact? Every little thing helps, that is something I truly believe, but at some point there is a limit to what the individual can accomplish. Discussing issues such as climate change online is a stepping stone to accomplishing wider change. Through these conversations we can share information and increase awareness. It is difficult, if not impossible, for anyone other than governments to enact meaningful change. For the government to act it too must be changed. To change the government the wider public must be made aware of the necessity for change so that they may act accordingly and vote those who are willing to enact necessary changes into office. Online conversations can help galvanize more people to become invested in our government and the future of our nation and the world.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun May 08, 2016 10:40 am 
I guess this falls under anecdotal rumor, but maybe 25-30 years ago I saw an initial draft of observations following a blowup. Handwritten, xerox'ed copy. The writer was the Fire Boss (pre IC title) and a friend of person who showed it to me. Why it circulated was supposedly fire crews in central Alaska had always said blow ups were a lower 48 problem. Of course now they happen during the dry years in Alaska too. This was a shock to the wild land FF community in Alaska. What was novel and key was the lack of moisture recovery the night before. Fortunately a retardent bomber was working the fire. Several became separated in retreat. The bomber (now called tankers) broke normal rules and dropped load right on the missing FF's. All survived. Maybe this was 35 + years ago.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
AR

AR
PostSun May 08, 2016 2:15 pm 
It took less than a second Doppelganger...It can just as easy be expanded on too. Daring anyone in this day in age to find data on something is silly. http://www.latinpost.com/articles/14408/20140607/new-fire-fossils-show-prehistoric-forests-evolved-the-same-as-now.htm There are millions of articles and facts. Don't let that get in the way of your blind ignorance though, it's your right.

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
contour5

contour5
PostSun May 08, 2016 3:20 pm 
The world was quite a different place 65 million years ago. No humans existed then, and most of the animal species which were present did not survive the cataclysmic changes that occurred over the course of several million years during the late Cretaceous period.
The difference today is that humans, as a species, are causing very rapid changes in the planet's atmosphere, oceans and climate (from a geological time perspective) which humans may not be able to adapt to or survive.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun May 08, 2016 4:33 pm 
gb wrote:
Actually, people like you are the problem and have been for the last twenty years or so. Kind of like dragging an anchor.
I drive vehicles powered by bio diesel! I have a solar set up at home! I have a well! I compost! I have a garden! My carbon footprint is I'm sure WAY lower than is yours! Can you say all those things? I can list a dozen books written in the 70's that claim the coming ice age! Books that claim humanity's demise because of starvation. Etc etc etc! This is NOTHING new. People reacting to junk science. We simply dont have enough data to make the kinds of summations you're talking about! Your entire argument is based off of HUMAN programmed computers with data that is nothing more than guesses! Weve already seen scientists lie and falsify data to fit YOUR enviro political agenda! When Al Gore let office he was worth a few million. Today, he's worth a hundred million! This is NOTHING more than a power grab. ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY AND CONTROLLING PEOPLE!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
gb

gb
PostSun May 08, 2016 5:02 pm 
Good on you for an effort to have a small footprint. I do too. But as to the rest of the post, you've got some major issues. Solutions to this problem, if we can stop global warming, requires government action - to require manufacturers to produce cars with higher mileage and to switch power plants away from the highest polluting methodology for examples. You and tens to hundreds of millions of others around the globe can't buy efficient vehicles if none exist (unless you designed and modified your own vehicle). For these changes to happen it takes political will. And dishonest skepticism gives politicians cover to follow the profit seeking desires of various industries. To think that literally tens of thousands of scientists with climate credentials are making this up is a conspiracy theory of the highest order. More likely it is dishonesty. If you are being honest you've proven you do no research to educate yourself from the factual inaccuracy of your analysis eleven posts before this. Skepticism at this point is ignorance (there is a difference between ignorance and stupidity).

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun May 08, 2016 5:11 pm 
gb wrote:
But as to the rest of the post, you've got some major issues
You're point presupposes that global warming exists! AT LEAST as many scientists disagree with your premise as agree with it! You don't give them anymore credit than I give yours! Where were you in the late 70's when many scientists were claiming a coming ice age? Where did you stand on that? At that time the industrial revolution had being going on long enough that if what you think is true they shouldn't have been able to come to a conclusion like that!!! Again, this is about robbing from the rich (1st word nations) and giving to certain special interests! Nothing more!

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSun May 08, 2016 5:57 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
You're point presupposes that global warming exists!
The exhaustively proven evidence supporting the existence of human influenced global climate is vast and conclusive.
Backpacker Joe wrote:
AT LEAST as many scientists disagree with your premise as agree with it!
The only scientists who deny climate change are bought and payed for, and their numbers have never even come close to rivaling those of scientists who are convinced of its existence. I'd be shocked if you could find a dozen reputable scientists who still claim that climate change isn't a problem.
Backpacker Joe wrote:
You don't give them anymore credit than I give yours!
A handful of people wearing labcoats stuffed with oil money hardly count as a credible source.
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Again, this is about robbing from the rich (1st word nations) and giving to certain special interests! Nothing more!
I haven't seen any credible evidence for this, and no, the fact that a few environmental advocates are wealthy doesn't count.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
contour5

contour5
PostSun May 08, 2016 7:54 pm 
Quote:
Where were you in the late 70's when many scientists were claiming a coming ice age? Where did you stand on that? I can list a dozen books written in the 70's that claim the coming ice age!
Actually, I think you're confusing your sources. The discredited "Nuclear Winter" scenario originated not from actual science, but from science fiction.
Quote:
The first published suggestion that a cooling of climate or winter could be an effect of a nuclear war, appears to have been originally put forth by Poul Anderson and F.N Waldrop in their post war story "Tomorrow's Children", which was contained in the March 1947 issue of the Astounding Science Fiction magazine, the story which is primarily about a team of scientists hunting down mutants,[77] warns of a "Fimbulwinter" caused by dust that blocked sunlight after the recent fictitious nuclear war and speculates that this may even trigger a new ice age.[78][79] Anderson went on to publish a novel based partly on this story in 1961 titling it; Twilight World.[80] Similarly in 1985 it was noted by T.G Parsons that the story Torch by C. Anvil, which likewise appeared in Astounding Science Fiction magazine but in the April 1957 edition, contains the essence of the "Twilight at Noon"/"nuclear winter" hypothesis. In the story a nuclear warhead ignites an oil field and the soot produced "screens out part of the sun's radiation" which results in Arctic temperatures for much of the population of North America and the Soviet Union.
Wiki article There's still active research on the global cooling that might result after a global nuclear firestorm, but a lot of earlier work has been discredited, for example, Carl Sagan's wild predictions of major cooling which failed to materialize after the big oil fires of the first gulf war.