Forum Index > Gear Talk > Lightweight 3-4-Season Tent Recommendations
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostMon Jul 29, 2002 1:29 pm 
I think it might soon be time to replace our ~20-year-old Early Winters Light Dimensions Gore-Tex tent. I used it last weekend on the coast and, as much as I hate to admit it, it leaked. The nexus lining absorbed most of the moisture that got through the skin and/or condensation from inside the tent. As a result, our gear stayed reasonably dry, but the tent was MUCH heavier when I packed it up. I also rolled it up with the spare pole inside and ripped the floor mad.gif I'll probably patch the floor, treat the canopy with ReviveX and give it another chance, but it's days are numbered. Here's what I'm looling for: 2 person capacity (the more useable space the better) 3-4-season--I usually only take a tent in the winter or if I expect rain 6 pounds or less (the lighter the better) I really love the 5 lb. 4 oz. Bibler Awhahnee--Backpacker Joe used to have one and I really loved that tent--but I can't really see spending $700. Maybe I can find a used one in decent shape. The Stephenson 2R's light weight and reputation interest me as well. Any other ideas?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostTue Jul 30, 2002 3:31 pm 
I've had my eye on a Sierra Designs Orion tent, but can't justify it (yet). It's got 33 sq. ft. of living space and an 8 sq. ft. vestibule and weighs only 5 lbs. and change....runs about $225. Sure seems like it would meet your specs. SD also makes the Omega that supposedly converts between 3 and 4 season (leave some pole sections at home and zip out a fabric section for 3-season use) and it runs $290. Anybody try one of these convertibles?

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Anne Tenz

Anne Tenz
PostTue Jul 30, 2002 3:50 pm 
Seems like a tent that only lasts 3 or 4 seasons ain't a very good tent.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Jul 30, 2002 7:22 pm 
Newbie Newt here has an older Omega CD. It's actually a 3-4+ season in my book. Use the tent, fly and ground cloth Use the tent and ground cloth or... Use the fast pack. 4lb 6oz That is using the ground cloth, the fly and some poles. This will lighten the weight considerably but leaves an opening between the fly/ground cloth for little creatures to sneak in. I haven't used the fast pack yet so can't really comment All in all not too bad of a tent. Omega CD NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Dante

Dante
PostThu Aug 01, 2002 8:50 am 
Hmm . . . I think my mother-in-law has an Omega CD . . .
I think my mother-in-law has an Omega CD--I might have to try it. I think I'll also keep and eye on eBay. There was an "almost new" (used 6 nights) Bibler Awhahnee 2 for $475. Talk about depreciation the sellers could have stayed in a hotel for less wink.gif Frankly, I'm having second thoughts about replacing the tent in question anyway. The 9' x 9' SilNylon tarp at www.owareusa.com would have served my daughter and I just fine last weekend, and it's under 1 lb. and $100.