Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Trespassing Ticket For Kayakers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Mar 16, 2016 6:38 am 
These guys didn't obey the sign on the river and received a ticket. In the NW they'd be welcome to go and break their necks - no ticket. We have a kinder and gentler way: http://www.kentucky.com/news/state/article66017212.html

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Mar 16, 2016 8:24 am 
That looks like a Werner paddle? Made in Sultan, WA?

mike

mike
PostWed Mar 16, 2016 10:31 am 
Some kayakers seem to think that it's OK to pull ashore and take a dump anywhere. down.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 16, 2016 12:24 pm 
I don't know KY law, but in WA rivers it's public land up to the high water mark on all "navigable" rivers. With "navigable" being somewhat interestingly defined. For example the Skykomish river above, through and below Sunset Falls is considered "navigable" because loggers used to float logs down the river through that section. In CO,TX however -- waterways have different public access status -- as I understand it it is legal to run barbed wire fences across rivers there -- as cattle ranching was a more important factor in those state's history. So KY may have very different laws -- particularly if the landowner is the KY state parks.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Mar 16, 2016 12:49 pm 
“They’re putting themselves at great risk,” he said. Such an attempt also could endanger authorities called to help in an emergency or a search for a body, Lawson said.
First it was selfies inside of the ice caves and now it's action video replete with a token ticket. This is progress.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Mar 16, 2016 2:10 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
I don't know KY law, but in WA rivers it's public land up to the high water mark on all "navigable" rivers. With "navigable" being somewhat interestingly defined.
If a kayaker is able to go down the river in a kayak, doesn't that make it navigable (by definition)?

trestle

trestle
PostWed Mar 16, 2016 2:22 pm 
Reading the article and the comments afterwards have taught me that kayakers are the smartest, safest, and the least likely to sue of all the extreme sport participants. huh.gif

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 16, 2016 3:05 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
If a kayaker is able to go down the river in a kayak, doesn't that make it navigable (by definition)?
The legal definition is more complex (of course). http://www.nap.usace.army.mil/Portals/39/docs/regulatory/regs/33cfr329.pdf

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Mar 16, 2016 4:23 pm 
Have there been any fatalities in the Chelan Gorge? I haven't heard of any.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostWed Mar 16, 2016 4:51 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Have there been any fatalities in the Chelan Gorge?
None relating to the scheduled whitewater recreational releases.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostThu Mar 17, 2016 2:07 am 
RH, This month's edition of American Whitewater has a whole section on state of Colorado river law, access, and private lands. Messy. Trestle...I couldn't tell if your comment was part/all tongue in cheek, but the W. Washington boating clubs I belong to try very hard to establish and maintain a culture of safety and multi-use river etiquette. (I.E. fishermen) I would stack the prudence and caution of whitewater boaters...both recreational and "extreme"... against the various groups of downhill/Alpine skiers any day. Tom

trestle

trestle
PostThu Mar 17, 2016 5:11 am 
Trespassing is trespassing, regardless of dedication to safety, and it's highly inappropriate to use as an excuse for illegal behavior. The "oh but we're so safe" argument doesn't hold water, even in a kayak. Multi-use etiquette wasn't addressed in the article or the infraction. As for the comparison with downhill/alpine skiers, location provides the context so the comparison feels a bit off. Perhaps you're referring to those who duck ropes and ski in closed areas adjacent to permitted ski areas. Those people are finding the sheriff at the bottom of the hill more often than they used to. Another comparison might be a mountain biker riding on a trail that was closed to wheeled traffic or a climbing party roping up on closed ground. Yes, my post was tongue in cheek but my point wasn't.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Mar 17, 2016 9:58 am 
I can see both sides of this argument, but I tend to lean towards supporting the extreme sports enthusiasts. As long as they aren't damaging the environment or directly risking harm towards others I say let them pull their crazy stunts.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 17, 2016 10:18 am 
Some actual info on the KY law concerning river access http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Wiki/access:ky
Quote:
Trespass in Kentucky is a Class B misdemeanor punishable by a fine up to $250 for someone who enters private land that is fenced or posted stating no trespass or where an owner has communicated it to a trespasser.
IDK know about the specifics in this case -- but I suppose it is possible that in order to reach the river to run the falls -- the paddlers had to cross some land that was marked "no trespassing". If the state signed the river itself -- they might have a case of contesting the fine -- especially if loggers had floated logs down that section of the river at some point in the past. However the legal fees would certainly exceed the $250x2 fines -- and besides if they were to win their case -- then other kayakers could run the falls and they would lose some of the cachet of being the only two dudes gnarly enough to have run those falls rolleyes.gif

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostThu Mar 17, 2016 10:50 am 
mike wrote:
Some kayakers seem to think that it's OK to pull ashore and take a dump anywhere. down.gif
This complaint re kayakers on a hiking site? shakehead.gif