Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Mar 17, 2016 11:54 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
However the legal fees would certainly exceed the $250x2 fines -- and besides if they were to win their case -- then other kayakers could run the falls and they would lose some of the cachet of being the only two dudes gnarly enough to have run those falls rolleyes.gif
From the only to the first who pioneered a new route?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostThu Mar 17, 2016 12:49 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
If a kayaker is able to go down the river in a kayak, doesn't that make it navigable (by definition)?
No.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
trestle

trestle
PostFri Mar 18, 2016 12:10 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
I can see both sides of this argument, but I tend to lean towards supporting the extreme sports enthusiasts. As long as they aren't damaging the environment or directly risking harm towards others I say let them pull their crazy stunts.
On one thread you espouse population control to limit access and on another thread you support allowing anyone to "pull their crazy stunts" if they don't harm anyone or the environment. While I'm not suggesting you're inconsistent, your philosophies do seem to wander a bit. wink.gif

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Mar 18, 2016 12:42 pm 
It’s probably worth separating the conversation of a couple of young, sponsored paddlers breaking the rules to huck some falls (akin to Dean Potter breaking the rules to climb Delicate Arch) and what many paddlers see as discrimination due to unequitable rules and laws banning them from partaking in their choice of outdoor activity. For example, in Yellowstone NP it is against the law to kayak the rivers. You can fish, hike, backpack, camp, ski, even snowmobile. But you can’t kayak. This discrimination propagates to an even greater degree at a regional level, with bans on kayaking in state parks and even entire river corridors. Parks and corridors where most if not all other outdoor activities are allowed. Why the ban on paddling? Good question. In many cases, the managing agency has claimed allowing paddling would be detrimental to the pristine wilderness. Huh? Paddling is one of the few activities where few, if any, footprints are left behind. Another claim for the restrictions is that it’s dangerous. Again, in most cases that argument is unfounded and not grounded in realism. There are local and national advocacy organizations working with managing agencies to remedy what paddlers see as this inequity. But it’s a slow process, and sometimes feels like pulling teeth. Luckily, here in the PNW this mindset is less prevalent, and there are very few restrictions on rivers we paddle.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Mar 18, 2016 12:58 pm 
There are plenty of places you can paddle in Yellowstone. And that was your only example. Sorry, not buying it. Everyone wants victim status. As a paddler, I have not been discriminated against.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Mar 18, 2016 2:54 pm 
Slugman wrote:
There are plenty of places you can paddle in Yellowstone. And that was your only example. Sorry, not buying it. Everyone wants victim status. As a paddler, I have not been discriminated against.
Sorry Slugo, not intending to play victim. As I said, here in the PNW this has not been much of an issue. If you want examples of some ongoing permanent river closures for paddlers from around the country, here you go. Yellowstone: Despite what you say, here are the NPS boating regulations for Yellowstone. http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/upload/Yell_Boating_Regs.pdf Look at page 2 of the document which states: "All park rivers are closed to boating except for the section of the Lewis River between Lewis Lake and Shoshone Lake". Chattooga River: Here's an example where the Forest Service has permanently closed a section of river to paddlers: http://www.americanwhitewater.org/chattooga Per AW, "The Chattooga River, which starts in the mountains around the Cashiers/Highlands area and flows south to form the border between Georgia and South Carolina, was designated a Wild and Scenic River in 1974. Two years later the United States Forest Service made a decision to prevent boating on the upper reached of the river, specifically about the Highway 28 Bridge. American Whitewater has been working for over ten years to reverse this ban which violates the Wilderness Act and the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act." Another example could be the Great Falls section of the Potomac. Like Yellowstone, this is a NP. While boating is no longer banned, access (from the Virginia side) is restricted. Those are 3 high profile examples. Again, I'm not arguing against closure of resources where there's valid reason. But when a resource like a river corridor is closed to paddling, yet open to other forms of outdoor recreation like fishing, hiking, biking, camping, and so on, I'd at least hope for reasonable rationale.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Mar 18, 2016 4:33 pm 
JonnyQuest wrote:
when a resource like a river corridor is closed to paddling, yet open to other forms of outdoor recreation like fishing, hiking, biking, camping, and so on, I'd at least hope for reasonable rationale.
Yes, such closures seem really odd to me. I'd sure like to at least hear the specific reasons why such closures were put in place. Other than the fact that most kayaks are made of petrochemicals, the act of kayaking seems almost completely environmentally benign. What am I missing?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Mar 18, 2016 5:14 pm 
Well, we all gotta pee. smile.gif Then the goats will move down and then the world will end. agree.gif At one time there was a place out there somewhere to recycle the petrochemical boat, but I bet "shipping" hockeygrin.gif was costly.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Mar 18, 2016 9:10 pm 
JonnyQuest wrote:
Those are 3 high profile examples. Again, I'm not arguing against closure of resources where there's valid reason. But when a resource like a river corridor is closed to paddling, yet open to other forms of outdoor recreation like fishing, hiking, biking, camping, and so on, I'd at least hope for reasonable rationale.
I'm pretty sure that Snohomish County bans river travel between Eagle Falls and Sunset Falls. Sunset falls has been run -- but its kind of a roll the dice kind of a thing even in a creek boat -- floating on an inner tube -- fugetabout.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Mar 19, 2016 1:28 pm 
I don't see the problem with kayakers on rivers in Yellowstone, it seems like an activity that would have even less impact then hiking! There is the problem of the petro chemicals in the kayaks themselves, but surely kayaks can't decay so much as to have an appreciable effect on the water? Of course, at some point they must put ashore to "use the bushes" and to camp on longer trips, but even so the majority of the time they have practically zero impact. I suppose they might disturb wildlife, but surely even this would be minimal? Potential rescue efforts might be an issue, but surely no more than with hiking, skiing etc. The ban on kayaks on rivers seems especially hypocritical considering that snow mobiles are still allowed within the park.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Mar 19, 2016 2:27 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
There is the problem of the petro chemicals in the kayaks themselves, but surely kayaks can't decay so much as to have an appreciable effect on the water?
I was only thinking about it in terms of resource extraction, manufacturing & disposal, not that they would pollute the river.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Mar 19, 2016 3:15 pm 
I would guess that the NPS ban on boating in Yellowstone has more to do with the logistics of access points, parking and erosion at put in/out sites.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Mar 19, 2016 6:34 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
NacMacFeegle wrote:
There is the problem of the petro chemicals in the kayaks themselves, but surely kayaks can't decay so much as to have an appreciable effect on the water?
I was only thinking about it in terms of resource extraction, manufacturing & disposal, not that they would pollute the river.
I was put in mind of a thread from awhile back about pollution in the backcountry from petro chemicals in outdoor sportswear, and thought that maybe Kayaks and other watercraft might also pollute the water in a similar fashion.
RandyHiker wrote:
I would guess that the NPS ban on boating in Yellowstone has more to do with the logistics of access points, parking and erosion at put in/out sites.
^^^ This makes a lot of sense. I can also see that the park might want to keep areas in a completely untrammeled state, and that dealing with the inevitable rescue missions and logistical problem of having people paddling the parks various rivers would present a whole new set of concerns that the park isn't equipped or funded well enough to deal with.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Mar 19, 2016 6:52 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
I was put in mind of a thread from awhile back about pollution in the backcountry from petro chemicals in outdoor sportswear, and thought that maybe Kayaks and other watercraft might also pollute the water in a similar fashion.
Plastic kayaks are made from the same type of plastic (polyethylene) as milk jugs, one of the less biologically active materials.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostMon Mar 21, 2016 10:59 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
I'm pretty sure that Snohomish County bans river travel between Eagle Falls and Sunset Falls.
Correct, that section of river is technically closed to "travel". Eagle Falls is run fairly regularly, and Sunset Falls has been run maybe a half dozen times. I'm pretty sure the Sno Co closure of this stretch of river originally intended to include both Eagle and Sunset Falls, as well as Canyon Falls. But that's just a guess. As far as I'm aware, this closure doesn't set off much in the way of alarm bells for kayakers, as this section of river doesn't offer much for (mortal) paddlers. Again, actual river closures are not really prevalent here in the PNW. A far bigger concern is closure of access due to private land owners (usually timber companies like Weyerhaeuser or Green Diamond) gating off public access to roads that had previously been open to the public.