PostFri Mar 18, 2016 1:46 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Mar 18, 2016 7:21 am 
I know of a lab, who retrieves sleds.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Mar 18, 2016 8:13 am 
Once I met the medium sized standard poodle and I was blown away about what a cool dog it was. Happy Fun Smart. Thanks for reminding me. At the time I said to myself that if I ever give up on the springer spaniel as a pet I want a standard poodle. A very cool dog!

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
JPH

JPH
PostFri Mar 18, 2016 8:50 am 
Standard poodles are cool dogs (although the haircuts can be a little over the top sometimes). The little yappy ones give them all a bad rap.

mike

mike
PostFri Mar 18, 2016 9:15 am 
Mix it up and you get a winning combo.
yesterday afternoon
yesterday afternoon

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Mar 18, 2016 10:51 am 
mike wrote:
Mix it up and you get a winning combo.
yesterday afternoon
yesterday afternoon
That looks like a cool dog..

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSat Mar 19, 2016 8:09 pm 
I knew someone whose lead sled dog was a standard Poodle. They dog hated me though, because when I showed up in winter, that meant he would not be pulling a sled that day. Dogs love to pull sleds.....or have "jobs" in general.

friluftsliv
GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostSat Mar 19, 2016 8:51 pm 
I lived in Alaska when he ran those poodles in the Iditarod. It was big news and very controversial. People were saying it was cruel to the poodles because they simply didn't have the coat required to stay warm in the extremely cold temperatures they encounter on the trail of the Iditarod. The sled dogs in Alaska have been bred to withstand extremely cold temperatures comfortably. Poodles, even when you let their fur grow out, simply aren't as resistant to cold.

mike

mike
PostSat Mar 19, 2016 9:13 pm 
Poodle coats are very warm except when wet. They don't shed water like a dog with hair. Wouldn't be a problem in AK in winter.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Mar 19, 2016 9:37 pm 
GrnXnham wrote:
I lived in Alaska when he ran those poodles in the Iditarod. It was big news and very controversial. People were saying it was cruel to the poodles because they simply didn't have the coat required to stay warm in the extremely cold temperatures they encounter on the trail of the Iditarod. The sled dogs in Alaska have been bred to withstand extremely cold temperatures comfortably. Poodles, even when you let their fur grow out, simply aren't as resistant to cold.
I don't think it would be all that hard to tell whether any particular dog is too cold. Is it shivering? is it showing any signs of distress? Does anyone have a thermometer and is able to take a body temp reading? When a dog is running constantly and pulling a sled I imagine there's no real worry about how cold it is unless temps are REALLY extreme. If it's just laying around and resting then yeah, I can see how a dog bred/adapted for arctic conditions would be comfortable where another might not. Standard Poodles are cool dogs. Their fur just keeps on growing, you can get a very thick coat on them and I'd imagine that would provide a pretty high degree of insulation.

GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostSat Mar 19, 2016 10:52 pm 
Wow! There are some real experts here on whether or not a poodle can handle Alaskan winters. Much of the concern about the poodles' well-being was coming from Alaskan veterinarians and breeders of Alaskan sled dogs. These are people who are knowledgable about which dogs can and can't handle Alaskan winters. Also, for much of the Iditarod race, the dogs aren't active. They are resting. A dog can't run over 1000 miles continuously and the musher has to sleep, too. Many of these rest periods are in blizzard conditions where the dogs just have to sit in the snow and wait it out. There's more to having a cold resistant dog than just having long fur. The sled dogs have a very dense undercoat that many of the other dogs don't have. This gives them a big advantage. The typical Alaskan sled dog isn't a husky or a malamute like most people think. It's actually a designer dog (mutt) where they mixed several different dog breeds to come up with the best dog at being fast, strong, intelligent, and able to resist the cold. Here is another article on Suter's poodles and it mentions how his dogs got cold. http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19901224&slug=1111229

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSun Mar 20, 2016 2:56 am 
Graham X, Yea, the Iditerod dog is a long way from your giant Malamute or Samoyed..much smaller and hard for laymen to see much "husky" in them. And, thanks for your 1st hand experience and input even though you get mildly flamed for it. It ain't nothing personal, just internet forum Ack-Ack. rant.gif rant.gif rant.gif Thanks again. Tom the OP

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Mar 20, 2016 10:22 am 
GrnXnham wrote:
Much of the concern about the poodles' well-being was coming from Alaskan veterinarians and breeders of Alaskan sled dogs. These are people who are knowledgable about which dogs can and can't handle Alaskan winters.
Well, you didn't say that. All you said was "people" were concerned, and that could be anybody including the general public who have no idea what they're talking about a lot of the time. Thus I was giving the benefit of the doubt to the dog's handlers that maybe they knew what they were doing and weren't interested in endangering their animals. If the handlers made a mistake and the Poodles actually were having a tough time with the cold then shame on them. I do actually know a fair amount about sled dogs, including the fact that they're not your typical purebreds, and about the double coat that "Northern" breeds have. Such a coat is typical among many dog breeds originating from common ancestors in Northern climates such as Huskies, Malamutes, Akitas, Samoyeds, Norwegian Elkhounds (I used to own Elkhounds), American Eskimo, etc. My Elkhounds never got cold no matter what. In fact, they loved nothing more than rolling around in snow. They're just not good city dogs and you never see them in the shelters which is why I've moved on to rescue mutts now. Anyway, I wasn't trying to flame anyone, don't take it personal man. It's a written medium, we're not seeing body language or hearing tone of voice so 60% of the information we humans rely on in interpersonal communication is missing.

wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Mar 21, 2016 10:49 am 
Pembroke Welsh Sled Dogs

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostMon Mar 21, 2016 1:08 pm 
The word on the street was that the poodles stuck to the ice when they were resting, so they had to chip the dogs off when they got up in bad weather. A typical Alaskan husky's coarse guard hair will prevent that from happening, which seems infinitely preferable under the circumstances. For recreational dogging especially down here in the comparatively tropical NW a standard poodle would be fine. My uncle ran Bouviers along side his sibes down on the Oregon dunes. I ran purebred GSPs in central WA, which worked great as mushers battle heat down here. Plus when skijoring on steep iced up trails I could cut them loose and work my way down a ridge and keep them nearby + have them come back for me when things mellowed out again. The hounds figured out this maneuver quickly and got quite good at rumbling down to the next switchback and then stopping until I caught up. Good luck doing that with siberians....

~Mom jeans on wheels