Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Swooped on by an owl in Discovery Park
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostWed Mar 23, 2016 3:08 am 
Well nwhikers, we did it. Add another peeve to the long list of blue bag dog poo, guns, mountain bikes, poodles, cairns, wolves, climate change, and hunters..... Grumpy ole' scalp whackin' owls... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Mar 23, 2016 7:24 am 
Don't forget Left Lane Campers, back country boomboxes, fly fishermen, flags in the wilderness, horses, MRNP Rangers, any Ranger, permit systems, crowded trails, closed roads, open roads, new roads, old roads, etc, etc, etc

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostMon Aug 28, 2017 2:44 pm 
I was just attacked by a huge owl while jogging in Swan Creek today ( SE Tacoma ) . It came from behind, raking my scalp making a hideous scratching noise as its clawed me. Clearly, it could have half scalped me if its desired...but instead it scared the absolute sh-t out of me. It landed in a low branch just off the trail facing me 50 feet ahead. I stopped and we locked eyes. I reached down for a weaponizable branch thinking it would react like a dog and sprint off seeing that its bluff was called..Nope. It just sat there...so I approached swinging the stick at it so I could get by without becoming an owl pellet. It flew off another 50 feet to another branch, watching me. My jogging outing just turned into a run. I kept looking over my shoulder as I ran home. That thing was enormous. I often see owls down in that ravine. I'm not sure how to jog there now. I guess I'll wear a baseball cap os something. I don't like wearing hats when I jog but I think I better now.!!

gb

gb
PostTue Aug 29, 2017 6:17 am 
flatsqwerl wrote:
I was just attacked by a huge owl while jogging in Swan Creek today ( SE Tacoma ) . It came from behind, raking my scalp making a hideous scratching noise as its clawed me. Clearly, it could have half scalped me if its desired...but instead it scared the absolute sh-t out of me. It landed in a low branch just off the trail facing me 50 feet ahead. I stopped and we locked eyes. I reached down for a weaponizable branch thinking it would react like a dog and sprint off seeing that its bluff was called..Nope. It just sat there...so I approached swinging the stick at it so I could get by without becoming an owl pellet. It flew off another 50 feet to another branch, watching me. My jogging outing just turned into a run. I kept looking over my shoulder as I ran home. That thing was enormous. I often see owls down in that ravine. I'm not sure how to jog there now. I guess I'll wear a baseball cap os something. I don't like wearing hats when I jog but I think I better now.!!
Serves you right! wink.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Aug 29, 2017 6:40 pm 
Schenk wrote:
Don't forget Left Lane Campers, back country boomboxes, fly fishermen, flags in the wilderness, horses, MRNP Rangers, any Ranger, permit systems, crowded trails, closed roads, open roads, new roads, old roads, etc, etc, etc
Cairns, dogs, camp fires, mtn bikes, people who won't pull over when you come up behind them on dirt roads...and now attack owls.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Aug 30, 2017 2:02 pm 
One more peeve...Road Boas. Those are those twisted up re-tread tire carcasses big trucks shed. I saw a bad accident caused by someone hitting one on NB 395, right around Connell, WA on Monday. Those are some of the most common road hazards I see in our paved roads, especially high speed interstate highway. They are really bad this summer and I wish retread companies would find a way to prevent that from happening. It is really not much different than an unsecured load dropping BIG crap on the road. The big 'ol tire snake I saw Monday would have made it difficult for even a large vehicle to maintain control if it was run over. It probably lifted the car that I saw wipe out Monday right off the road as it passed over it. eek.gif

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.