Forum Index > Gear Talk > Any Altimeter Watch recommendations?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Pef

Pef
PostWed Mar 23, 2016 5:00 pm 
After the best part of a decade, my trusty High Gear watch is suffering button arthritis, I was looking to get another but the company has gone bankrupt... hopefully from selling their watches too cheaply smile.gif. It cost under a 100 bucks, and it seemed to work as well and be as durable as $300 odd dollar watches from the likes of like Suunto, so that's the sort of money I'm aiming to spend again, but always open to suggestions. Go's without saying it has to be durable, handle any NW weather etc.... but I said it anyway. Definitely not interested in a "smart" watch or anything with GPS unless it runs for a year or more on a single charge....... smile.gif Thanks guys

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostWed Mar 23, 2016 7:52 pm 
I have both a $300 Suunto and an inexpensive Casio. The latter works but requires eternal vigilance calibrating to known elevations. The former has an auto mode that is enough to make me spring another $300 if/when that one wears out. It discerns whether you're moving or not to decide whether to account pressure changes as differences in elevation or weather. It works surprisingly well.

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostWed Mar 23, 2016 8:14 pm 
You can get those $300 suunto cores on Amazon for $175, just make sure to get one of the versions with a positive display so you can read the screen.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 23, 2016 8:31 pm 
I've been wearing a pretty basic Casio $39 I use a GPS gadget for my primary navigation tool. Casio also makes "triple sensor" models that include a compass -- but those are more like $90 -- and the compass sighting accuracy isn't much better than a zipper pull compass. $3.50

cartman

cartman
PostThu Mar 24, 2016 6:27 am 
I use a Casio Pathfinder ($60), and agree with texasbb that it requires vigilance to be reliable. Haven't used the Suunto with that auto tech, that sounds interesting. But too many of the user reviews are not good for the Core (pay attention to the ones from people who've had it over a year), and it sounds like Suunto doesn't stand by their warranty and overall has poor customer service if there's a problem. Forget the ones with a compass; the compass function eats up battery life and isn't a bit necessary.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostThu Mar 24, 2016 8:03 am 
cartman wrote:
...Haven't used the Suunto with that auto tech, that sounds interesting.
Yeah, I dismissed it at first as a gimmick, but was happily surprised. It's amazingly simple. There's a threshold of pressure change that the watch considers too much to be anything other than movement to a different elevation. When it sees that much change in less than 3 minutes, it declares you moving, and further pressure changes are logged to elevation change. When it doesn't see that much change in 12 minutes, it declares you stopped and logs further pressure changes to the weather.
cartman wrote:
But too many of the user reviews are not good for the Core (pay attention to the ones from people who've had it over a year), and it sounds like Suunto doesn't stand by their warranty and overall has poor customer service if there's a problem.
I certainly have some complaints, mainly that the elevation reading is terribly erratic if I wear the watch on my wrist. I don't know if it's the sweat or what, but the reading is all over the place. It eventually settles down to the right value if I stop for a while. I live with it because I prefer to clip the watch to my hipbelt anyway, and it works fine there.
cartman wrote:
Forget the ones with a compass; the compass function eats up battery life and isn't a bit necessary.
Nor is it a bit useful. A button compass is more precise. I like this one.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Mar 24, 2016 8:55 am 
My current suggestion is none of the above. After 20+ years of alti watches, I've switched to a mechanical analog altimeter and an analog solar powered watch (Citizen EcoDrive). My 5th altimeter watch, a Suunto Alu Core, with an aluminum alloy body, finally pooped out last year. Well, actually, that was my 6th alti watch. It's a warranty replacement. The replacement Alu Core was better than my plastic body Core, which failed after one year, circuitry zapped by moisture, which is how all my alti watches eventually fail. My first alti watch was the classic Avocet Vector. It was nice while it worked but after a couple years the buttons fell off and the circuitry failed. My High Gear alti watch lasted only a few months before the circuitry failed. IME, alti watches are very sensitive to moisture notwithstanding the "waterproof" marketing. My experience is similar to that of texasbb: All my alti watches have performed better when they are off my wrist and strapped to my backpack shoulder strap. ETA: An electronic compasses for mountain travel is silly, an unreliable battery-dependent solution in search of a problem that doesn't exist. A decent bubble compass with adjustable MD, e.g., Suuto Ranger, works flawlessly.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Mar 24, 2016 9:15 am 
I'm using a Garmin Fenix 3 ABC+GPS watch. Absolutely love it. Best watch, GPS, and exercise computer I've ever had. You wouldn't like it because of the battery, and I avoided GPS watches for years for the same reason. Glad I finally got one.
cartman wrote:
But too many of the user reviews are not good for the Core (pay attention to the ones from people who've had it over a year), and it sounds like Suunto doesn't stand by their warranty and overall has poor customer service if there's a problem
I loved my Suunto Core but the bezel came apart after about a year and a half. I brought it to a watch repair shop that wasn't able to fix it. Gave it to a friend who was able to get it fixed. My Core had an issue with condensation too, the inside of the watch would fog up and it would be unreadable for a moment. I really enjoyed the watch while it lasted though.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Mar 24, 2016 9:22 am 
texasbb wrote:
I certainly have some complaints, mainly that the elevation reading is terribly erratic if I wear the watch on my wrist.
BigSteve wrote:
IME, alti watches are very sensitive to moisture notwithstanding the "waterproof" marketing. My experience is similar to that of texasbb: All my alti watches have performed better when they are off my wrist and strapped to my backpack shoulder strap.
Just how much error were you guys seeing with your alti watches, worn as watches? Can you elaborate? My experience has been the reverse: my watch will drift during extreme weather changes but otherwise it's been remarkably accurate. Only ever take it off my wrist to charge, I shower with it every day and swim with it in the summer.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Mar 24, 2016 9:41 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Just how much error were you guys seeing with your alti watches, worn as watches? Can you elaborate?
Can't give you a meaningful answer because the error was very erratic, no discernible pattern. It takes only a wee bit of moisture to make a microcircuit go whack. My Core Alu said I did 32,800' vert in a 2-1/2 run at Tiger a month ago. And, yes, I had replaced the battery.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Mar 24, 2016 12:53 pm 
Interesting. Was it always over a short term like that? Probably just went crazy all of a sudden? I remember somebody telling me the storm alarm would go off on theirs every time they finished swimming. Like water got into the barometer, it sensed really high pressure, then they get out of the pool and the pressure drops. But Tiger Mountain isn't a pool! My Fenix watch has two small holes on the side for the barometer. I never had any idea where it was on the Core. But there have to be some holes to let outside air into the sensor, right? I wonder if their placement affects how susceptible a device is? My (Garmin) watch said I did 3,369 feet of vert from the Mazama store to the Washington Pass sign; officially it's 3,374 feet, I've been pretty confident in its numbers as long as I've calibrated it recently. To be fair, I check my altimeter a lot, but not constantly, so if it's as erratic and hard to reproduce as you say, I can't 100 % rule out that mine does this too. I can only say I haven't seen it.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostThu Mar 24, 2016 12:56 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Just how much error were you guys seeing with your alti watches, worn as watches? Can you elaborate?
I'm talking a display that bounces around in real time hundreds of feet in both directions. Completely unusable. If I stop for a while (15 minutes?) it always settles down to the right number. But if I don't put it on my wrist it works perfectly all the time. It didn't start doing this until I'd had it a year or two. I'd never heard anyone else mention the same problem until BigSteve in this thread.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Mar 24, 2016 1:26 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Probably just went crazy all of a sudden?
All my alti watches had problems in wet weather early on. The problem manifested when worn on my wrist during exercise would start happening after a few months of use.
Cyclopath wrote:
But Tiger Mountain isn't a pool!
IME, the surest way to accelerate failed circuitry is the wear the alti watch on my wrist under a rain shell, which might actually introduce more pressure than wearing it in a swimming pool.
Cyclopath wrote:
My Fenix watch has two small holes on the side for the barometer. I never had any idea where it was on the Core. But there have to be some holes to let outside air into the sensor, right? I wonder if their placement affects how susceptible a device is?
On the Core there's two holes on the underside with a U-shape channel to allow air to flow between the watch and your skin. My theory is that the U-shaped channel gets fouled with sweat and works into the hole, creating de facto membrane that sends goofy info to the alti function microprocessor. The sensor has a thin membrane, which, like the circuitry, is pretty fragile.
Cyclopath wrote:
My (Garmin) watch said I did 3,369 feet of vert from the Mazama store to the Washington Pass sign; officially it's 3,374 feet
Microcircuits and tiny pressure sensors can perform remarkably. Until they don't.

spamfoote

spamfoote
PostThu Mar 24, 2016 2:26 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
After 20+ years of alti watches, I've switched to a mechanical analog altimeter and an analog solar powered watch (Citizen EcoDrive).
Welcome back to the dark side. Did you get the 5000m version or the 10,000m version? Heavier than the alti watches, but at least they work. I figure my altimeter/compass have seen roughly 10,000 miles of trail and they are still just fine. No batteries required. I could sell them today and make money... Hrmm, pretty darned low ROI... other than not getting lost in a whiteout that is. clown.gif Today I would not recommend anyone buy an alti watch. Buy a GPS.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Mar 24, 2016 2:30 pm 
So the air holes are on the back of the watch, where they contact the wrist? Sounds like maybe not the best design in the world. What you describe about forming a small membrane out of sweat and water makes a lot of sense to me. If that's the case, putting the air holes on the side was probably a smart move.