Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > hiking with smokers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
trail wiseguy

trail wiseguy
PostMon Mar 28, 2016 10:43 am 
I am not a smoker, but i have a friend who is. We hike often and it has never bothered me. The deal is do it down wind or away from tents sleeping bags etc. I would think that not all people would deal with it. If your a smoker i would like to hear how you are treated on the trail and how you handle it.

"the mountains are calling and i must go" - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostMon Mar 28, 2016 6:05 pm 
back in the day when I still hiked there were so few others it didnt matter. in a typical weekend foray if I encountered a single soul it was a traffic jam.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostMon Mar 28, 2016 7:51 pm 
Smoke usually makes me cough so I try to stay away, but that's my issue. It surprises me sometimes on strenuous trips when I run in to smokers...I personally need all the lung capacity I can get! winksmile.gif Had to laugh this weekend though...I passed a woman who "warned" us that there was a guy ahead of us smoking weed. OMG!!! eek.gif In Washington!!! rolleyes.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostTue Mar 29, 2016 8:21 am 
I don't smoke. However I will say that when I am in the middle of nowhere it does drive me crazy to smell smoke. One of the things I enjoy about being out there is to be away from all of the smoke, fumes, car exhaust, etc. And you can smell it from a good distance away and not even see the other person. It drive me nuts enough when I walk my dogs at night in the neighborhood and I can smell all the people who step outside their house to smoke. Wish they would go back inside and stink up their own house.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Mar 29, 2016 10:46 am 
Voxxjin wrote:
I don't smoke. However I will say that when I am in the middle of nowhere it does drive me crazy to smell smoke. One of the things I enjoy about being out there is to be away from all of the smoke, fumes, car exhaust, etc. And you can smell it from a good distance away and not even see the other person. It drive me nuts enough when I walk my dogs at night in the neighborhood and I can smell all the people who step outside their house to smoke. Wish they would go back inside and stink up their own house.
ditto.gif The smell of wild places is a big part of the experience for me, and it is utterly destroyed by inconsiderate smokers. It hangs in the air along the trail, or is blown to far off nostrils by the wind. It clings in the nose for ages, lingering and inducing nausea. If people must smoke then they should do it inside their houses so as not to inflict their disgusting, hazardous habit upon everyone else.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Mar 29, 2016 2:12 pm 
The same may be said of farting.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Mar 29, 2016 2:31 pm 
ace.gif Tobacco or pot? ace.gif I used to climb with a guy who lit up cigs on belay ledges. Didn't bother me. ace.gif A few times I've smoked a cigar at buggy camps. Cigar smoke keeps the bugs away. No need for that now that I wear permethrin-treated clothing. ace.gif I've hiked, climbed and ski toured with many potheads. Doesn't bother me except on steep off trail terrain, where I prefer my partners to be straight. ace.gif YMMV

trail wiseguy

trail wiseguy
PostTue Mar 29, 2016 6:37 pm 
the only time i get pissed is when i am down wind from a person smoking on the trail. other then that i am fine if you step off the trail or smoke around camp and i am walking buy. pot i feel the same way about. just do it off the trail a bit.

"the mountains are calling and i must go" - John Muir
Ranger Smith

Ranger Smith
PostWed Mar 30, 2016 5:53 am 
I still have the nasty habit. I go a ways off downwind away from camp or trail. Others don't need to suffer from my bad habits. Even when they say, "Oh, it's ok" I still feel self-conscious about it. At home I smoke a pack a day. Out hiking, it's a pack every 3-4 days.

I'm a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Mar 30, 2016 7:53 am 

trestle

trestle
PostWed Mar 30, 2016 9:56 am 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
The smell of wild places is a big part of the experience for me, and it is utterly destroyed by inconsiderate smokers. It hangs in the air along the trail, or is blown to far off nostrils by the wind. It clings in the nose for ages, lingering and inducing nausea. If people must smoke then they should do it inside their houses so as not to inflict their disgusting, hazardous habit upon everyone else.
Tolerance is a virtue worth having. biggrin.gif

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Mar 30, 2016 10:03 am 
Once I ran with a smoker who has since quit. He did lag a bit, but I was surprised to see him running and smoking at the same time when I looked back. People do the darnest things.

Living in the Anthropocene
Bird in Hand

Bird in Hand
PostWed Mar 30, 2016 10:14 am 
I enjoy a good cigar. Mostly I smoke at home but coming down from a hike, especially a long one I may have one. I've only had one person object, I was well off trail waiting for a companion when a woman stopped short and denounced me for polluting her air. I was at the time using the smoke mosquito repellent. I do try to be considerate of others with it. It amused Karen to the point that she told people she was glad I had a vice. While she didn't smoke any more she did enjoy mine. I read in the account of the 1963 American Everest Expedition that the climbing team was dismayed to learn that only 40,000 cigarettes had been ordered. they'd wanted 400,000.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Mar 30, 2016 10:28 am 
Doppelganger wrote:
Some say it's one of the most addicting things available to us in our society
Yup, nicotine is high on, although not at the top of, the list of most addictive substances. See http://preventdisease.com/news/14/031214_10-Most-Addictive-Substances-Guess-Which-One-Is-Not-On-List.shtml

Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostWed Mar 30, 2016 12:14 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
It hangs in the air along the trail, or is blown to far off nostrils by the wind. It clings in the nose for ages, lingering and inducing nausea. If people must smoke then they should do it inside their houses so as not to inflict their disgusting, hazardous habit upon everyone else.
Except even when they aren't smoking, the smoke smell is still there emanating from their clothes. I have moved between checkout lines because the person in front of me reeked of smoke. gag.gif

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war