Forum Index > Trail Talk > milk creek trail, pipeline, lime ridge
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostThu May 19, 2016 12:37 pm 
hetrekker, I don't know anything more than that. It was simply a quick mention from the WTA crew leader.

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hetrekker

hetrekker
PostThu May 19, 2016 3:08 pm 
Hey, summithound. Thanks for that. I called Darrington FS this morning about that rumor. I was the second this morning to do so. The only thing this year, they heard in a meeting, was that funds had been appropriated to conduct a "study" of a possible bridge. I was asked to call back in a few after they ran down the latest info. The Darrington rangers that I have spoken with have all been a class act; very helpful, gracious, good attitudes, open and honest, and willing to give their opinion not only on the letter of the law but also the enforced spirit of the law. My exchanges with them have been nothing but enjoyable; that is in stark contrast to the mouthy forumites here who presume to speak for them.

spamfoote

spamfoote
PostThu May 19, 2016 3:35 pm 
I doubt that area will get run "through". That area had a bridge and trail for many many years and it was always very overgrown and very sparse in terms of crowds. True, the population has gone way up, and the number going into the backwoods on day hikes has also gone up, but, if history is any indication, it won't be as we still are not seeing a giant jump in overnight backpackers. This is the same as saying Lake Byrn and Pilot ridge will also be very crowded. Or Glacier meadows and red pass... All gorgeous areas with a few backpackers, but not exactly "over run". This is effectively the equivalent of saying the Downy creek trail/Bachelor creek/Cub lake will be over run. Stunning area, beautiful dark dank forest with great alpine scenery and yet... hardly a soul other than those few doing the Ptarmigan traverse.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu May 19, 2016 4:08 pm 
Has the backcountry gotten that de-populated in the last 10 years or so? When i went to Cub Lake we had at least two parties exiting the PT go through, there may have been more. Every bush near that lake had TP under it. It definitely showed signs of plenty of use by PT travelers, and there's a lot of them as that's a very popular traverse. When I went to Lime Ridge, back in '98 I think it was, there were lots of people up there, too. We didn't find the trail on the way up and ended up bushwacking up to Rivord Lk. where we camped (and no one else there) but when we went through the other lakes on the way out there were lots of people there and the trail was easy to follow on the way down. The reason we didn't find it was because there had been a slide that obscured the bottom 100' or so of it.

spamfoote

spamfoote
PostThu May 19, 2016 6:41 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
When i went to Cub Lake we had at least two parties exiting the PT go through, there may have been more. Every bush near that lake had TP under it.
Oh, I agree with you 100% regarding the need for pit toilets on the PT. It is a trail, even if the FS doesn't wish to admit that it is. Just like the "trail" up out of Pyramid lake to Colonial lake/mountain etc on Hwy 20. But as you said, a couple groups on one of the premier traverses in the entire USA... I would not consider that busy. On the other hand, last time I was at Koolaid lake to climb Magic mountain etc with a couple newbies, it was crazy busy in August. Must have been over 20 people and 10+ goats. Define "lots"... On a weekend in high summer before the bridge was out I would see roughly 4-10 people at mica lake. Midweek? Zero. Grassy Point, Vista/Dolly etc, 1 group, maybe two or less even on a weekend. Now, If a true loop trail was put on a map, not just word of mouth going the Lime ridge route, making for a "perfect" ~20mile weekend loop, would its popularity increase? It sure would. Would there need to be toilets installed? Yes. EDIT: Honestly, are we going to complain about "over crowding during the last two weekends of July and first two weekends of August", or are we going to get real and talk about something other than 4 peak weekends of the backpacking season...

mountainsandsound

mountainsandsound
PostThu May 19, 2016 9:21 pm 
I remember coming down Milk Creek in 2000 at the end of a 5 day trip and it was really brushy. I was in high school and it was a great time, I'd love to see that trail come back. smile.gif

mountainsandsound

mountainsandsound
PostThu May 19, 2016 9:26 pm 
spamfoote wrote:
True, the population has gone way up, and the number going into the backwoods on day hikes has also gone up, but, if history is any indication, it won't be as we still are not seeing a giant jump in overnight backpackers.
So other people notice this too? I was talking to my dad, who did a lot of backpacking in the 70s, and he mentioned that it seemed like backpacking just isn't as popular as it once was (or maybe didn't grow in popularity nearly as much as day hiking).

hetrekker

hetrekker
PostFri May 20, 2016 12:00 am 
Hi gb. I plan on giving a detailed response in a new thread that concentrates completely on the milk creek trail. Chiwakum, if I remember correctly, you had just returned from getting boots you had forgotten at the river crossing? And we had just returned from a 6 hour unsuccessful new route try up to lime ridge. We took off shortly after you left at about 3 to reach lime ridge via the pipe. Instead of heading up the pipe at the bottom we crossed rivord creek, took the milk creek trail switchbacks up past the last one, and crossed rivord creek to intercept the pipe further up. Took an extra hour to find the pipe trail gulley. After going up the chute (I bet you recognize that description) we encountered that thigh high woody springy ground cover making it difficult to follow the trail at twilight. Took about an hour to finally find where the trail went. Got lost a number of times in the dark, mostly due to our 15 yr old cheesey single AA clip on flashlights(they work fine for all night forays on the Wonderland, but not on this hike). Finally arrived at box at 2 am. Turned out to be quite the adventure. Do you have plans on going up again this year? Have you thought of going up via milk creek trail?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri May 20, 2016 7:47 am 
I've been wanting to hit up Lime ridge for years. For those who've done it, what is the preferred route? From mica north, or from Box Mountain south? With respect to the ridge run.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri May 20, 2016 8:37 am 
DF wrote:
Once/if they put a bridge up again that place will get run through so fast. Which is both good and bad news, I suppose.
You may very well be right. Before 2003, Milk Creek trip reports were mainly from day users looking for a tremendous old growth forest - Glacier Pk wasn't often visible from the typical day-hike terminus. Lime Ridge then seemed out of reach for many people. But since the bridge washed away, social media has surged, as has trail running, and Instagram with its silly yoga poses and selfies, driving some areas into over-use hell. Not that trail running itself is an issue, but it provides that much more opportunity for Instagram selfies and trip reports. If people are careful about what they post, which I know won't happen, perhaps it won't be over-run.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri May 20, 2016 9:44 am 
hetrekker wrote:
funds had been appropriated to conduct a "study" of a possible bridge.
Thanks for the clarification. Fun to think about it: Funds for a study probably mean it's a go, unless there's an environmental reason not to install a bridge. The washed out bridge site is within the Wild & Scenic River border (which the border is at Milk Creek a short ways east of the bridge site). The only issue with WS would be that the design would have to be post-free. If they need a post, they could build outside the WS corridor, which would require new trail leading to the bridge on each side. So I think this is good news. I think this site was included in the EA for the Suiattle Road repair, in about 20o6 or so (can't remember). EA's are good for 5 years, if I recall correctly. Does anyone remember if plans for a bridge were included in the Suiattle Access & Travel Management Plan?

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri May 20, 2016 10:28 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I've been wanting to hit up Lime ridge for years. For those who've done it, what is the preferred route? From mica north, or from Box Mountain south? With respect to the ridge run.
I didn't find the Pipeline descending off the ridge (followed Rivord's outlet so I was on the wrong line right from the get go), and as a result suffered thru horrible bushwhacking most of the way down to the Suiattle. Other than the huge difference in mileage, I would say getting to Lime Ridge from Mica Lake would be much, much preferable. Only minimal bushwhacking, none of it too bad.

spamfoote

spamfoote
PostFri May 20, 2016 7:26 pm 
The bushwack up the milk creek valley has to be just as bad if not worse than just going straight up hill cross country after crossing the Suiattle. AT least it is in heavy forest. Google Earth is you best buddy, even better than a map in such instances when avoiding brush. Milk Creek has multiple large avalanche swath nightmares you have to traverse. The trail by now must essentially be gone in such places. It was pretty bad before the washout. Not as bad as S. Cascade, but bad. Been 12+ years now. Wouldn't be surprised if the two are about equal. Until the Milk Creek trail is reopened/rerouted, I would say, do not go to Mica Lake.

Frango

Frango
PostFri May 20, 2016 7:44 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
oes anyone remember if plans for a bridge were included in the Suiattle Access & Travel Management Plan?
I just went and skimmed the plan again - I don't think the Milk Creek bridge and trail is mentioned at all, sadly.

hetrekker

hetrekker
PostSat May 21, 2016 1:25 am 
Unlike one prolifically mouthy poster here with a penchant for spewing assumptions, misinformation, hearsay, heresy, and rudeness, I have actually done these routes last fall. I started hiking at age 49 just 15 years ago, and up until last fall had done nothing but well traveled trails. Now I'm a fat old man with health issues and I like to think that if I can do these routes and succeed the first try there aint nothin here too hard for you guys. So let's dispel some of this idiocy with fresh knowledge: it takes 10 times the effort (at least) to go straight uphill as it does to take the milk creek trail. Going straight up is not thru heavy forest; it is a high canopied open forest with thick duff underfoot for good traction, relatively inconsequential brush, no surprises, and no views until you get to the top. Google Earth is not your best buddy; it will tell you nothing of what's under that canopy, so use a contour map. Milk creek trail has only 1 small avalanche swath about 150 feet across that take less than 5 minutes even if you go slowly. There is good, easy, well defined trail in these places. I found the milk creek trail obvious and easy to follow until almost the end where the switchbacks start up. I myself won't be attempting to find or use those switchbacks, but will be scouting out what I've determined will be an easier and shorter route to the pct. There was but one spot I had to stop for a minute to figure out where the trail went; I won't have to stop there next time. When I did the mct last October there were no leaves on the bushes and I think that helped with trail following, and I'm eager to try it again in the near future to see if I can still figure it out. Anyone want to come with? Note:when I did the trail it was out of curiosity, I had no goals, and I did not expect to make it. I didn't take a compass, map, or gps which I consider distractions from observation. Questions?