Forum Index > Trip Reports > Whistler Mountain (Rainy Pass) 4-26-13
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
FJES6
Will Belay for Food

FJES6
Will Belay for Food
PostMon Apr 25, 2016 5:08 pm 
Having broken my leg I've found myself with some spare time. Also, I've been really bored. I figured since Hwy 20 just opened and this excursion took place exactly three years ago it could serve as a relevant trip report.
At the trailhead. Three friends and I decided to take a break from work mid-week and make a two day trip over the north cascades highway. Our first day we decided to do some sport climbing routes on Fun Wall in Mazama, conditions were fantastic and we had the place to ourselves most the day. That evening we found a nice dispersed camping site, set up camp and barbecued some stuffed Morels we had taken along. The next morning we packed up and parked our car across the highway from the Rainy Lake TH. We left the car around 8:40 and started up through the woods heading generally East, crossed the Creek at around 5'500'.
Aiming for the obvious West Ridge we made our way leisurely up and up soaking in the views as we ascended. Snow conditions were pretty good, no need for snowshoes or crampons and the temperature remained comfortable for uphill progress.
The majority of the Ridge above 6,300' was pretty straight forward and very easy to follow. There were opportunities to ascend the Basin climbers right of the Ridge but with the hot April sun beginning to heat up the slopes we elected to stay on our original course.
Eventually we met a step around 7,500' and surveyed our safest path, now just a little below the summit.
At this point we decided to call it, many of our steps were forming roller balls on the steeper features and we just didn't feel safe trying to push it, for a climb this easy to access we all agreed this could be saved for later.
Our trip back to the car was uneventful with the exception of the incredible glissades we experienced. All in all, it was a great trip, great views and minimal effort!

Sincerely, Franklyn Joseph Esquire Sebille the 6th Http://www.summitpost.org/users/fjes6/68961 Alpinism is the art of suffering-Voytek Kurtyka
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Apr 26, 2016 11:55 am 
Looks like a good spring trip! I have only done this in the fall from the Bridge Cr. trailhead, with no snow to cover up the brush lower down, which isn't too bad but I'll take snow over brush (in both senses of the word "over") any day!
FJES6 wrote:
started up through the woods heading generally West
I don't mean to quibble, but for the sake of others wanting to follow your route, don't you mean you started up through woods generally heading EAST? Finally, I hope your recovery from the broken leg is steady and complete. agree.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
FJES6
Will Belay for Food

FJES6
Will Belay for Food
PostTue Apr 26, 2016 11:58 am 
Yes yes, your right, I'll remedy that...

Sincerely, Franklyn Joseph Esquire Sebille the 6th Http://www.summitpost.org/users/fjes6/68961 Alpinism is the art of suffering-Voytek Kurtyka
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue Apr 26, 2016 5:42 pm 
Nice to see a new TR from you, Joe. It's been, like, forever. up.gif up.gif up.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.