Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Daniel via Hyas Lake - 4/16-17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
christensent

christensent
PostSun Apr 17, 2016 7:12 pm 
All other vehicles were parked at China Point (about 11 miles from the Daniel Trailhead). Unless you have a vehicle which you have experience floating on spring snowpacks, that's about it. Might get another two miles in a week or two, past that it's deep. I took it to a little past Scatter Creek leaving 2.5 miles of skiing to the trailhead. Didn't want to get stuck out in those meadows at the end with no winch points.
The roughly 6 flat miles from parking was a bit tedious, especially on the way out. Half a dozen stream crossings but otherwise skinned the whole way. Did anyone lose their boat?
Once past all the flat, I made a very poor decision to start up a narrow couloir hoping it'd come out at the base of the Daniel Glacier since I didn't know how people usually get up here. It turns out it actually just had a big crack full-width and was impassable. Skied back down 800 feet and found the correct route a little further up the valley
Do not go up this gully
Do not go up this gully
Setup camp at around 4900ft on the ridge
Left a little after 6am. The ridge was brutal post holing through breakable crust but once I got up onto the snowfield it was easy booting until it softened up a little then switched to skinning.
Turned around at 7200ft at the summit block at 8:30am since there was a few inches of wind slab on a few inches of fresh soft powder and I didn't want to mess with it being alone. It was very windy with rapid wind loading and some small sluffs of loose dry snow coming off near by peaks. Nothing froze up well at night and everything below 6000 feet skied miserably. Just feet of unconsolidated wet mush. Then just the long 6 mile walk back out and an uneventful drive out

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Apr 17, 2016 8:22 pm 
Wow. I admire your ability to do that on multiple levels... the vehicle approach, the skinning and skiing, snow camping, route finding... pretty crazy. Not many people can do that, especially solo! Great decision to turn back when you did too. Thanks for the post, always nice to know what the conditions and snow pack are like this time of year.

RichP

RichP
PostSun Apr 17, 2016 8:34 pm 
awilsondc wrote:
Wow. I admire your ability to do that on multiple levels... the vehicle approach, the skinning and skiing, snow camping, route finding... pretty crazy. Not many people can do that, especially solo! Great decision to turn back when you did too. Thanks for the post, always nice to know what the conditions and snow pack are like this time of year.
+1

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostSun Apr 17, 2016 9:29 pm 
christensent wrote:
That's dedication biggrin.gif Hope you a good time. Sounds like you made good decisions on the snow situation. Interesting to hear that there was still wind-loading happening. I kind of expected snow to be wet even at that elevation.

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostMon Apr 18, 2016 4:43 am 
How was Scatter Creek, any pics? I'm interested in just how much it roars or is undercut during snow melt, but obviously you got thru it...

christensent

christensent
PostMon Apr 18, 2016 7:15 am 
Scatter creek was maybe 3" deep, surprising. Most creek crossings have nice ramps because of the snowmobile use in the winter.

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostMon Apr 18, 2016 7:22 am 
Wow, not what I expected at all - thanks for the pic. re: snowmobiles - they're still out there for spring riding, I'll bet that snowmobilers were a good portion of the folks parked at China Point and they didn't expect jeep ruts this early.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Apr 18, 2016 7:57 am 
You ascended The Chasm?

christensent

christensent
PostMon Apr 18, 2016 8:28 am 
BigSteve wrote:
You ascended The Chasm?
Most of it, but literally 100 feet below the big opening into sunshine there was a snow bridge that was not an acceptable risk. The whole thing wasn't really an acceptable risk and I shouldn't have been in there at all.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Apr 18, 2016 8:41 am 
christensent wrote:
The whole thing wasn't really an acceptable risk and I shouldn't have been in there at all.
There is a route from Hyas Lake to the saddle on the Pea Soup/Daniel Glacier divide. See the descent route in this TR. I'm not surprised to hear about chitty snowpack up high. This too shall pass.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Apr 18, 2016 11:17 am 
Very interesting early season trip. I'm impressed by your stamina and your vehicle!

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Apr 18, 2016 11:42 am 
BigSteve wrote:
There is a route from Hyas Lake to the saddle on the Pea Soup/Daniel Glacier divide. See the descent route in this TR.
Isn't that the route he took, or something close to it?

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Apr 18, 2016 12:07 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
Isn't that the route he took, or something close to it?
No. It appears that OP went up The Chasm. The route Randy and I descended was N of that. If ascending that route, start near the bottom of The Chasm, then work NW to a basin (c. 4400'), then S to the rib just N of The Chasm, then follow the rib W then WNW towards the saddle above Pea Soup. From the saddle, it's an easy contour/traverse over to the Daniel Glacier. ETA: The Chasm has been ascended to the Daniel Glacier and then skied in earlier season conditions.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Apr 18, 2016 12:34 pm 
BigSteve, I've been up that route to Pea Soup lake and some of the OP's photos look awfully like mine. Here is why I think he went up that route, and not up the chasm:
christensent wrote:
I made a very poor decision to start up a narrow couloir hoping it'd come out at the base of the Daniel Glacier since I didn't know how people usually get up here. It turns out it actually just had a big crack full-width and was impassable. Skied back down 800 feet and found the correct route a little further up the valley

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Apr 18, 2016 12:54 pm 
Oh, okay