Forum Index > Gear Talk > Klymit event at Costco- anyone have experience with Klymit?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BlameTheDogz

BlameTheDogz
PostFri Apr 22, 2016 6:07 pm 
Greetings! Klymit has a special event at the Aurora Village Costco through Sunday. They seem to have some great deals, especially the 60L pack, pad, 20 degree bag, and pillow combo for $300, but I do not know much about their products. Does anyone have first-hand experience? Cheers!

striving to stand like mountain yet flow like water, and make the dogs happy
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
contour5

contour5
PostFri Apr 22, 2016 10:10 pm 
Fairly extensive review of the Motion 60 pack on BPL. OP indicated that the hipbelt wasn't burly enough for large loads; intended to swap it out for a ULA belt. Also see several pages about Klymit gear

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSat Apr 23, 2016 8:40 am 
not sure how durable their gear is ...sleeping bags looked ok for beginers, I hav a raft...wouldn't get a combo deal unless I weighed it....a bag mayb, but prob. a lighter pack for 225$ from ula, six moons designs or somebody...

hetrekker

hetrekker
PostSun Apr 24, 2016 12:15 am 
Yes, we have first hand experience. Purchased one orange, 2 green, and 2 blue pads along with long narrow and almost weightless pillows a year ago. All of these have performed flawlessly and are the best we've ever used. My favorite is the blue one at 12.5 oz. with the built in pillow(with its own air fill). There are a few caveats on this model that you need to live with: When inflated properly, it curls and twists like a springy pretzel until you lay on it. Also, though it requires little air, it must be inflated hard to be adequate(but it is still comfortable). Lastly, the air needs to be topped off at bedtime because the hot air inside cools and loses pressure. I inflate the pillow hard and then let air out to comfort. Shetrekker's favorite is the green one; its so comfortable and a real value price that weighs only 18 oz. All pads fold and lay very flat and are hardly noticeable in our 1300 cu in packs. The pads have a nice feel against the skin, hold you without feeling sticky,slide very little, and hold air extremely well. Regarding the down bag it is a total piece of crap and should be avoided like the plague whether in a package deal or singly. It has no value, seriously. Can provide details if you like.

hikermike

hikermike
PostWed Jun 27, 2018 5:33 pm 
Please provide details on the bag as Outdoor Magazine gave it a top rating. So I'm confused.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jun 27, 2018 5:47 pm 
FWIW: I used a Kylmit Static V air mattress last summer on a 43 day bike tour. Worked fine, no issues.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jun 27, 2018 6:27 pm 
I've heard mostly good things about Klymit pads for summer use.
hikermike wrote:
. . . as Outdoor Magazine gave it a top rating.
Other OM "best sleeping bag" picks include a Coleman rectangular car camping bag, a gimmicky Nemo bag endorsed with the claim "get rid of your tent and tarp" and an equally gimmicky Eddie Bauer bag OM describes as "less a sleeping bag and more an 850-down fill burrito wrap." Source: https://www.outsideonline.com/2073696/best-sleeping-bags-2016 Hmmmm, lemme guess: Coleman, Nemo, Eddie Bauer and Klymit advertise in Outdoor Magazine? Best sleeping bags of 2016, my ass. shakehead.gif FWIW, I'd never buy a duck down bag.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Jun 28, 2018 1:11 pm 
Klymit had a rep at the Costco Woodinville store last year. I actually bought one of their pads, but ended up returning it after I got it home and realized it wasn't their best stuff being sold and the pad was heavier than I expected. It seemed more like a clearance sale.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Jun 29, 2018 8:44 am 
They have an awesome minimalist sit pad that I bought. This is not to be confused with the "pillow" that they sell at Costco, no matter what the sales rep says. I picked up, from Amazon, the 2.35 oz pad that rolls up into a small pocket size. It was very cheap too. No debate about bringing this luxury item now, even when day hiking light. No foam but holds just enough air to keep my butt off of hard, wet, cold rocks, snow etc.

friluftsliv
asa

asa
PostFri Jun 29, 2018 9:42 am 
I have the Massdrop version of the Klymit ultralight insulated pad (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-klymit-ultralight-v). I've only used it on a handful of trips, but I'm very happy with it so far. The dual valve is fast, it claims an R value of 4.4 in 15oz of weight. It cost me $65 (including shipping and tax). The one currently being sold on Massdrop is slightly heavier, due to thicker nylon I think. For comparison, I also have a 3/4 length Thermarest NeoAir XLite that I carry for emergencies in cold weather. I've only slept on it once. I find the Klymit more comfortable, and significantly quieter. I also have the uninsulated Klymit Static V2. Extremely comfortable, but with an R value of 1, it's only good for summer camping.