Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed May 04, 2016 5:43 am 
spamfoote wrote:
Washington's population is going to boom. Good climate, has room to grow, abundant water, food, and jobs. Everyone is sprinting out of N. California, SanFran to Oakland area as fast as possible as well.
I think the correct term is has been booming and will continue booming. Western WA has seen steady and sometimes rapid employment/population growth ever since the army air corps started ordering large numbers of B-17s in the early 1940s. There have been some notable dips -- e.g. the "Boeing Bust" in the early '70s that featured a billboard on Beacon hill reading "will the last person to leave Seattle please turn out the lights" , but for the most part growth has been pretty constant. There are some downsides to all this growth -- but compared to the challenges facing people living in cities like Detriot -- I think these are managable problems.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed May 04, 2016 6:36 am 
The eastside is growing also. I was shocked to see that there are so many stop lights on Hwy 2 on the Cashmere stretch. There are now THREE traffic lights in Okanogan County! eek.gif Go back all mover inners, go back!! I think it is too late and we are destined to become Far North California. frown.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed May 04, 2016 6:45 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
I think these are managable problems.
The bad traffic alone is enough to cancel out any old lifestyle benefits for outdoorsy folks to living in or around the city or any job there. A person who craves wide open spaces feels trapped by the traffic. I'd rather work at the country hardware store for a low wage.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostWed May 04, 2016 7:05 am 
^^ I think DOT said that we need 25 more lanes to get back to normal flow along Interstate 5. And thats not going to happen off your meds again Slugman? smile.gif

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed May 04, 2016 8:02 am 
Slugman, you've previously bitterly complained here about the intolerable fender benders and resulting parking lots on I-5.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed May 04, 2016 8:22 am 
Snowbrushy wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
I think these are managable problems.
The bad traffic alone is enough to cancel out any old lifestyle benefits for outdoorsy folks to living in or around the city or any job there. A person who craves wide open spaces feels trapped by the traffic. I'd rather work at the country hardware store for a low wage.
It's all a matter of perspective -- I had a conversation with a guy that grew up in Boston and now lives in Preston. "Seattlites get upset when there is traffic and they can't drive 10 over on the freeway. But compared to Boston traffic, you guys have it easy" I've been living in Harlem for a bit now and getting out of the city to the nearest hiking trail is a major production -- involves at least $12 in bridge tolls and an $8 per day parking fee once you get there. As LA has shown, its not possible to eliminate traffic by building more freeways. Building/improving mass transit is expensive, but it keeps the city humming when it would grind to a halt otherwise. In Seattle I was last working downtown while living in Bellevue/Redmond -- the 545 and 212 buses made getting across the lake predictable and low stress -- the only challenge was if I needed to go in late -- no spots left at the park&ride after about 9:00AM

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed May 04, 2016 8:31 am 
Slugman wrote:
Mass influx? If you hate it so much, leave, no one will miss you. Everyone whines about others doing a hike, why not whine while looking in a mirror? There is zero "irony" in a full parking lot. It is just full. Or maybe you think a Discover pass is a magical parking spot creating device?
What's your problem? It's never fun to have your favorite stomping grounds overrun. shakehead.gif
Spamfoote wrote:
It could be worse. The island of Java, smaller than Washington State, in Indonesia used to have a population of around 5 million in the 1800's. It now has a population of over 145Million. S. Korea with a population of 50+ Million has an area roughly equal to Western Washington.
Yes, but would you want to live in Java, Indonesia, or any other severely overcrowded region? Population growth is a significant problem in Washington, but perhaps even more problematic is the way it is resulting in the outward expansion of towns and cities rather than upwards. I think that this and the lack of a more robust public transportation network is largely responsible for the ever increasingly terrible traffic experienced in the Puget Sound region. I'd like to see a moratorium on building new houses outside city boundaries, as well as big push to beef up public transportation and to build a comprehensive network of bike paths. To deal with the problem of overcrowded trailheads I suggest that the state implement a trailhead shuttle system. Not only would this solve the parking issue, but it would also potentially make for a more secure parking location.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 04, 2016 8:32 am 
This is one reason I never hike these close in trails. They're boring, over crowded, and it sounds like you have to arrive at 4 am or take public transit to park in a spot that won't get you towed. I'd rather hike somewhere nice.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed May 04, 2016 9:00 am 
This news story locally appeared in the Seattle Times newspaper. It's about the truck parking problems in North Bend because of new city law which discourages the trucker industry in a time of great port activity. http://www.landlinemag.com/Story.aspx?StoryID=31021#.VyobRXErIiI

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed May 04, 2016 10:25 am 
THanks for the heads up in the OP!
Slugman wrote:
There is zero "irony" in a full parking lot. It is just full. Or maybe you think a Discover pass is a magical parking spot creating device?
Best response of the thread (followed closely by Randyhiker's sharing of the perspective of a Boston transplant). Yes, we may not want it or like it, but crowds are becoming much more common, as are full parking lots. It's smart to either get going early or have a backup plan if doing a typically crowded hike or one with very limited parking. And work with appropriate agencies to try to get more parking added where it would be possible and appropriate (would Si be that much different a hike with 30% more people en route on a busy day? I don't think so...).

hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostWed May 04, 2016 10:36 am 
Snowbrushy wrote:
This news story locally appeared in the Seattle Times newspaper. It's about the truck parking problems in North Bend because of new city law which discourages the trucker industry in a time of great port activity. http://www.landlinemag.com/Story.aspx?StoryID=31021#.VyobRXErIiI
This is a major problem. There is literally no where for trucks to park and they are tightly regulated so no where to park forces them to break the law and potentially drive tired Ellensburg isn't much better. Truck drivers do spend money, and they are a captive to their truck so they cannot drive to the better restuarant or prices in town... Hikers can go to a different place to recreate...

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed May 04, 2016 10:46 am 
joker wrote:
And work with appropriate agencies to try to get more parking added where it would be possible and appropriate (would Si be that much different a hike with 30% more people en route on a busy day? I don't think so...).
Rattlesnake Ledge is an example of a trail with a good supply of parking and on busy days the trail is so thronged that it might make sense to make separate "up" and "down" tracks. Of course that doesn't do anything to expand the size of the ledge itself.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed May 04, 2016 10:51 am 
Snowbrushy wrote:
I don't see how this article translates to towing cars parked along the road at the Si parking lots.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed May 04, 2016 10:59 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
I don't see how this article translates to towing cars parked along the road at the Si parking lots.
I'm suggesting that the local area in general is getting strict about all parking.

hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostWed May 04, 2016 11:00 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
Snowbrushy wrote:
Perspective.