Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Forum Vitreol
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostWed May 04, 2016 7:47 am 
First off I have been a forum veteran since the mid 90s on various car forums. I throw that out there to establish that I am not new to this. I like coming here to get hike beta, gear commentary and so on. I posted a comment on the parking situation and towing at trailheads expressing frustration with all the new arrivals and congestion in general. Slugman comes along and basically tells me to leave town and no one would miss me. Thanks man. That was really constructive. I'm certainly not the only one venting about traffic and congestion around here. I've also noticed a really nasty tone to several people's comments. This forum has some upsides but can get really unpleasant and personal quickly. I've thought about doing positive things like creating a thread for free gear that we arent using to put some good karma back in or sharing my Arcteryx discount but I keep coming back to the overall negative experience here. I know....feel free to leave. Actually I've tried but there is no delete account button smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 04, 2016 8:34 am 
seattlenativemike wrote:
Slugman comes along and basically tells me to leave town and no one would miss me. Thanks man. That was really constructive. I'm certainly not the only one venting about traffic and congestion around here.
He does that to everyone. Kind of an angry, unstable person. Don't take it personally.

lostintheforest

lostintheforest
PostWed May 04, 2016 8:57 am 
I have found the ignore button handy. I try to help out with info on those rare occasions I have something helpful to share and take advantage of all the others here that know more than I. When I find people that have nothing helpful to say ...

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed May 04, 2016 9:10 am 
Things do occasionally get pretty heated here, but I particularly dislike it when people ditch reasonable debate for snide remarks and personal attacks.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed May 04, 2016 9:16 am 
Every web forum I've been a member of has certain personalities that rub people the wrong way. All you can do is try to ignore them and focus on the people who contribute something that is meaningful to you.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostWed May 04, 2016 9:25 am 
Please Don't leave...then the whiners and haters win. Thankfully there are many great posters here and I hope they all keep contributing.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed May 04, 2016 9:34 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
seattlenativemike wrote:
Slugman comes along and basically tells me to leave town and no one would miss me. Thanks man. That was really constructive. I'm certainly not the only one venting about traffic and congestion around here.
He does that to everyone. Kind of an angry, unstable person. Don't take it personally.
Yeah, I was going to say about the same thing. Don't worry about it too much. He does offer some constructive contributions occasionally, but then there is the "other stuff" you have to wade through to get to them. Stick around and start your thread on stuff to be re-used by whomever. I could probably get some extras out of the closet/bins/packs and into the hands of someone who is needing it.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
wolffie

wolffie
PostWed May 04, 2016 9:47 am 
seattlenativemike wrote:
I know....feel free to leave.
Hey. This is Earth. It's a bad neighborhood. Just look what the inhabitants are dong to it, and how they treat each other. Trouble is, I'm *not* free to leave. I keep trying, but They don't let me. Nobody gets outa here alive. I'm a lifer, I guess. I think we need to form a Union. A Nice Peoples' Union. The rest -- Them -- we could make into dog food, but I get kinda stuck on the criteria: who says who gets to be dogmeat? Inspector General of Pet Nutrition would be a mighty powerful position, open to abuse as a tool of political repression or petty tyranny, and if (s)he makes a mistake... innocent people could be sausagized, or, worse, there are some people you really wouldn't want to feed to your dog. I keep going out to the beach and releasing distress messages in bottles: "Help! Marooned. Terrible place. 47.6997 N -122.3215 W. Trapped by a mortgage and mediocre career. Surrounded by hostile savages crazed with various mass delusions. More and more of them. They are getting closer, and meaner and stupider. Running out of food & water. Also air. Plants & animals disappearing. It keeps getting hotter. And noisier. No way out. I am going to die. I am almost certain of it. Send help, food, chocolate. Tell Mom I'm OK." I've gotten various email replies over the years -- one to a bottle I released on the Olympic coast and was allegedly found in the Gulf of Mexico (it must've gotten some help getting there) -- some offer helpful advice ("you need to get another job, and move"), but no other job seems much better, and every time I try to move, somebody is already there.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed May 04, 2016 10:21 am 
seattle mike: You want to express your bigotry here, you should be taken to the woodshed. You think you are morally superior with more right to go hiking than someone who moved here recently? Outrageous. Ridiculous. You whine that I said you should leave, when you just implied the exact same thing about a lot of other people? Hahahahahahahaha! PS: learn to spell, please, it is not that hard. Vitriol. Another word you need to look up: hypocrite. Cyclopath calls me unstable? That's a personal insult, someone please ban him. tongue.gif The problem is bigoted, hypocritical, whining crybabies who complain about everything and everyone. Boo hoo, other people want to hike the same hike I want to hike, how dare they crowd my trail? Not one is bright enough to realize they are part of the crowding for everyone else. Boo hoo, I parked in front of a no parking sign and got a ticket, how dare those evil "other people" take the parking spot that is my natural right? Selfish crybabies complaining about everything. Maybe some of you could look in the mirror, or learn to read. You would see that every person I take a shot at was acting like a jerk and deserved it 100%. You want to improve this forum? Then talk about hiking! How hard is that?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 04, 2016 10:54 am 
seattlenativemike wrote:
Slugman comes along and basically tells me to leave town and no one would miss me.
By the way, please don't leave. I've enjoyed a lot of your posts over the years. And your photos are breathtaking, just absolutely stunning. agree.gif

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed May 04, 2016 11:01 am 
Slugman, I have seen you often contribute positively to this forum. However, this is by no means your finest hour.
Slugman wrote:
You want to express your bigotry here
The only one being intolerant of others opinions here is you. rolleyes.gif
Slugman wrote:
You whine that I said you should leave, when you just implied the exact same thing about a lot of other people?
You (and later treeswarper) were the only ones saying people should leave. Others were only expressing their dislike of increasingly crowded trails.
Slugman wrote:
Cyclopath calls me unstable?
You're doing a pretty good job of proving him right.
Slugman wrote:
The problem is bigoted, hypocritical, whining crybabies who complain about everything and everyone. Boo hoo, other people want to hike the same hike I want to hike, how dare they crowd my trail? Not one is bright enough to realize they are part of the crowding for everyone else. Boo hoo, I parked in front of a no parking sign and got a ticket, how dare those evil "other people" take the parking spot that is my natural right? Selfish crybabies complaining about everything.
Overcrowding of trails is a serious problem. It is hard on the environment and degrades the experiences of visitors to wild places. The lack of adequate parking is also an growing problem in the Pacific Northwest that needs to be addressed. Attacking those who are rightfully concerned about relevant issues does nothing to further the conversation.
Slugman wrote:
Maybe some of you could look in the mirror, or learn to read. You would see that every person I take a shot at was acting like a jerk and deserved it 100%.
Everyone was behaving perfectly politely up until the point where you joined the conversation.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed May 04, 2016 11:03 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
seattlenativemike wrote:
Slugman comes along and basically tells me to leave town and no one would miss me.
By the way, please don't leave. I've enjoyed a lot of your posts over the years. And your photos are breathtaking, just absolutely stunning. agree.gif
ditto.gif Please stick around! smile.gif

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed May 04, 2016 11:15 am 
Vitriol comes with the territory of the internet (sadly), especially in larger forums. My guess is that there were fewer members in the auto forums in the 90s than there are on NWH today. Fewer members = sense of community, which generally doesn't leave a lot of room for vitriol. Get a larger group, and the number of a-holes and trolls increases, just like with the general population. That being said, I've always profoundly enjoyed your photography, SeattleNativeMike. Hope you continue contributing to NWH.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostWed May 04, 2016 12:13 pm 
After all these years, I finally just now used Ignore. About time!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed May 04, 2016 1:02 pm 
We updated the terms a while back. Everyone was required to agree to the new terms before posting. Some don't seem to have taken it to heart. Warnings have been issued and ignored. Just need to follow through.