Forum Index > Trip Reports > Avalance Peak - 4/30/16
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostTue May 10, 2016 2:24 pm 
I had a free Saturday morning, so I was looking for something quick to get to. I decided on Avalanche Peak. It's a bit off the beaten path, I've never been there, and it's just at Snoqualmie Pass. I didn't get as early of a start as I was hoping for. I hit the trail at about 7:00. The trail was almost 100% snow covered right from the start. I followed the trail through the valley, but somehow I got off on a side track. I ended up basically following the summer trail up to the ridge. It looks like most people go a different way since there weren't many tracks there. The snow was still firm, but not a problem with crampons. From the top of the ridge, I traversed East toward Avalanche Peak rather than dropping down to Snow Lake. I chose to go up the West side of the peak. This allowed me to stay on the snow until the very top. The ridge is starting to melt out, and the snow looked like easier going. The top of the peak is melted out. Great views in all directions.
Chair Peak
Chair Peak
Snoqualmie
Snoqualmie
Snow Lake with Chair, Kalleetan and Roosevelt.
Snow Lake with Chair, Kalleetan and Roosevelt.
Chimney Rock, Burnt Boot, Overcoat, Lemah, Chikamin, Thomson.
Chimney Rock, Burnt Boot, Overcoat, Lemah, Chikamin, Thomson.
Avalanche Peak from the West.
Avalanche Peak from the West.
There is still lots of snow in the Snoqualmie area, but it's melting fast in this hot weather. Crampons and ice axe are useful early when the snow is still firm. I saw lots of people heading up toward Snow Lake on my way back, but nobody on my way there. It pays to get out early before the crowds.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue May 10, 2016 10:20 pm 
Some of the best views around. I love how it hangs over the Burntboot valley.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message