Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rapid River ID May '16 -or the best place I never knew about
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Treehugger5

Treehugger5
PostThu May 12, 2016 5:30 pm 
Took a quick but fantastic trip up the Rapid River last weekend. My friend from work and I headed out early Saturday am from Spokane, and arrived at the TH just past the fish hatchery 4.5 miles S of Riggins, ID about 12:30 and hit the trail at 12:47. The weather was hot, but we'd had rain recently so everything was green green green. River was running high. Along the way we ran into some Pacific Yew, which is rare to find this far east. (As far as I know, this is an isolated group and the farthest east you will find it.) Arrowleaf Balsam root was in full, stunning bloom everywhere you looked, as well as a plethora of others. At 5 miles we stopped at "Potter's Flats" where my friend, a former Yellowstone backcountry Ranger wanted to cross the river to go up to Potter's Cabin. No go. River was too strong. We went on up to McCrae (spelling?) cabin, then on up to Wurl Cabin after a small creek crossing to where we camped for the night. 9 miles for the first day, arrived a few minutes after 5.
McCrae cabin
approaching the bench we camped on and Wurl Cabin:
That bench was a grove of mature Ponderosa Pine with the softest, greenest grass under it and all along the bench. It was like sleeping in a park. One of the nicest spots I've ever tented. biggrin.gif As the bench narrowed, the balsam root just bloomed along with Indian Paintbrush and others.
We enjoyed some gorgeous views while eating and then walked around a bit and found some interesting scat (bear) and a decomposing elk skull (I think it was elk). My friend had been there 3 weeks prior and seen about 50 elk he said up in the meadows.
You could see the Seven Devils to the West, and the Sawtooths to the East. We hit the sack and got up at a relaxed time the next morning. We were going to head up to a ridgeline above (north) and just cross-country it the way back and pick up the trail about a mile before the TH. We had one stream crossing first, which I didn't know about and in an unexplainable move, I'd left my water xing shoes at home. shakehead.gif My friend went first and then threw his crocs across to me. I'd never used them before, I quite liked them. It was about mid-thigh on him, I got one foot into a bit of a deeper hole but only about crotch level for a step or two.
We came across this great skeleton just hanging off a rock outcropping. I thought it made a great picture with the Seven Devils in the background.
Anyhow, more views, it was like hiking in a dream. Hot, and there were only a couple of water sources over the seven miles, but super gorgeous. We made the TH about 3pm. I think we left about 9 or so that morning, but we enjoyed some leisurely stops to soak it in.
It was a really great trip. I didn't expect it to be so beautiful. What a great early season place-- the canyon and upper part would be too hot in summer, I'd expect, but wow. The drive down the Palouse was so glorious at this time of year, too. Emerald Green. We stopped at a bar in Riggins to eat, and it had surprisingly good sandwiches. There was a rodeo in town that weekend, and while my friend was in the bathroom, this woman comes in and demands to know if the bartender has seen this one dude. He gets kind of a deer in the headlights look and says "No?" (although I did believe him, I think he was just afraid of her). She gives him a look to melt steel and tells him that if he comes in, and he gets served, the barkeep is gonna have some serious trouble from her. He gulps and asks "Erm, what does he look like again?" Then when he asks if he's wearing a cowboy hat, she spits back "Hell if I know! I ain't seen him since breakfast!" embarassedlaugh.gif Great hike, even though I must've jinxed myself earlier in the blisters thread, because while I didn't have blisters, I clearly have boots that are too short or something (after almost 600 miles in them) because you should see my left big toe. The nail has lifted out of the bed and the entire base thing, including the base that is usually under the cuticle, is so swollen and lifted it's disgusting, and the usual black and red. There's probably a good quarter inch of cuticle holding it on is all, but nothing I can do but wait for the swelling to go down. Anyhow, if you ever have the chance to go, do it. up.gif

Elrond's Rocket of Rivendell~ hiker and runner extraordinaire
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu May 12, 2016 10:29 pm 
Wow. Great drive, great hike, great sandwich, and no cover/no minimum dinner theatre. Wow again.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri May 13, 2016 7:01 am 
Great TR. up.gif One of my brothers lived in Riggins ID for a few years where he was the filer at the saw mill (before it blew up in the early 1980's). He even married a local girl there. My wife and I visited him a few times and floated the Salmon River and did some hiking around the limestone caves nearby. I liked the area and always wanted to go back.

drilldaddyo

drilldaddyo
PostMon May 16, 2016 12:27 pm 
I'm thinking you ate at the Seven Devils Saloon? From McCrea Place what trail leads to the Cabin? Love that area!

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostMon May 16, 2016 12:32 pm 
Nice photos! up.gif

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Treehugger5

Treehugger5
PostMon May 16, 2016 10:18 pm 
It's a trail that leads north, on the west side of the (McCrae) cabin. There's another trail that continues due west into a meadow but you want to stay north. There's a small creek crossing after a bit and then you go about 200 yards up to the bench where Wurl Cabin is. Thanks everyone.

Elrond's Rocket of Rivendell~ hiker and runner extraordinaire
RichP

RichP
PostMon May 16, 2016 10:20 pm 
Looks like another area I need to check out. Thanks up.gif

drilldaddyo

drilldaddyo
PostTue May 17, 2016 9:51 am 
Thanks for the response........... I've seen that trail and have wondered where it goes. Randy

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostFri May 20, 2016 4:00 pm 
up.gif Great photos. I had no idea it is so gorgeous there!