Forum Index > Trip Reports > Teanaway Peak - 5.18.2016
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostFri May 20, 2016 11:06 am 
Road Condition: Mid-to-High clearance vehicles shouldn't have any trouble getting to within 20 yards of the end of the road (Esmeralda Basin Trailhead)... then you would need a monster truck to finish off the last 20 yards. Normally, water comes off of the very steep cliffs on the east side of the parking lot and is eventually funneled through a large pipe underneath the road and dumped into the N. Fork Teanaway River... however, something has blocked the normal drainage off of those steep cliffs and sent the flow over the road, creating a deep trench. Three of my photos show the road conditions. Note that we started this hike from the Iron Peak Trailhead and not the end of the road... after our hike we drove up to the end of the road to check on the conditions. Weekend parking is going to be a real challenge until the road is repaired. -------------------------------------------------------- I've done Teanaway Peak many times, but never via the south ridge, which looks very gnarly from the Teanaway/Iron saddle (6200')... and I've never read a trip report discussing the route, until "Frodo Barefoot" posted a report on May 16... advising that he didn't find anything more difficult than Class 3 climbing. Armed with this information, I enlisted the Washington Alpine Club's yoda (aka iraman) to lead this scramble... which more or less turned out to be a walk-in-the-park for him... however, for me it was more of a "scramble, scramble, scramble, exhale"... and repeat until ~6600 feet... where the ridge eases for a final stroll to the summit (6779'). IMO, the crux occurred at ~6600 feet, just before we got to the easy terrain. The ridge seemed to narrow at this spot... requiring an 8-10 foot down-climb that felt a bit awkward to me. After this short down-climb, iraman continued down another 15-20 feet to a ledge that got him around the crux... while I chose to take a higher track, possibly using a more exposed route to get around the crux. See photos 28-33 for a look at this area of the scramble. We wanted nothing to do with going back down the south ridge... opting instead to use the traditional SE ridge route down to "the lone tree" that marks the spot where we started a downward traverse back to the Teanaway/Iron saddle... where we reunited with BarbE, Snowdog and Izzy, who had done the ridge walk out to Iron Peak while we scrambled up Teanaway. I felt there were a couple Class 4 moves on our route. 5.7 miles roundtrip, gaining 2786 feet of elevation. Photos, trailhead directions and downloadable GPS track of our trip to Teanaway Peak. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri May 20, 2016 4:55 pm 
Good stuff R&R. up.gif Heading there this weekend.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri May 20, 2016 6:16 pm 
At first I was like bored.gif another run up Teanaway. Then I saw the topo and I was like eek.gif Looks like some potential party induced rock fall. I'm not surprised you didn't want to return on that route!

Frodo Barefoot

Frodo Barefoot
PostFri May 20, 2016 10:21 pm 
Hey, really sorry about that. Wasn't my intention to mislead you. Definitely agree with you on the crux and I remember that part well; we decided to go the ramp wayl. I took the day off today and celebrated my friends birthday by going to Bean Peak and Earl Peak. We had a great time and it even snowed a bit.

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostSat May 21, 2016 11:53 am 
puzzlr wrote:
Looks like some potential party induced rock fall.
Most of the loose stuff seemed to be settled on very comfortable ledges every 25-30 feet... so Ira would scramble up to a ledge and then stop and wait for me to come up... and we repeated this format until we were on easy terrain at ~6600 feet. I think a larger party could use the same strategy... it would just take longer to get above the scramble zone. ---------------------------------------
Frodo Barefoot wrote:
Wasn't my intention to mislead you.
You called your route Class 3 and we could have easily done our one or two Class 4 moves on a section of the route that you didn't do... except for the bottle-neck at ~6600 feet, there seemed to always be several options on which way to continue up... and even at the bottle-neck Ira and I took a different route. --

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun May 22, 2016 7:17 am 
ragman and rodman wrote:
then you would need a monster truck to finish off the last 20 yard
There are people who would take a shovel and spent five or ten minutes reducing the gravel lip on that channel in order to save 30 seconds of walking. There are others who would not bother with the shoveling. Most of those guys aren't interested in hiking, just demonstrating "dominance" with less-than-monster trucks but monster egos. hink.gif Then people who park before the stuck truck might lend a hand digging and pulling the less-than-monster truck out, if the guy with the stuck truck has a shattered ego by now and lets others lend a hand. I've seen it play out at another place! Why do I say "guy?" Because few women are dumb enough to try driving through a very obvious obstacle. biggrin.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
BdCast

BdCast
PostSun May 22, 2016 8:13 am 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
ragman and rodman wrote:
then you would need a monster truck to finish off the last 20 yard
There are people who would take a shovel and spent five or ten minutes reducing the gravel lip on that channel in order to save 30 seconds of walking. There are others who would not bother with the shoveling. Most of those guys aren't interested in hiking, just demonstrating "dominance" with less-than-monster trucks but monster egos. hink.gif Then people who park before the stuck truck might lend a hand digging and pulling the less-than-monster truck out, if the guy with the stuck truck has a shattered ego by now and lets others lend a hand. I've seen it play out at another place! Why do I say "guy?" Because few women are dumb enough to try driving through a very obvious obstacle. biggrin.gif
I agree, the types you outlined are usually the stereotypes you run in to, but they are the ones giving us a bad rap. What about 1) The guy who just wants to challenge himself and his jeeps abilities and see if he can make it through? 2) The guy who offers to help someone through because someone else got stuck trying? On this forum I see us off-roaders labeled for the things only a small percentages of the demographic do. It's definitely unfortunate.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun May 22, 2016 8:32 am 
I agree with you, and i apologize for generalizing in a weak attempt at levity. The vast majority of truckers ( and ATVers, snowmobilers, and motorcyclists) I've encountered are friendly and courteous....and helpful when the opportunity arises.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still