Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > How far can you drive E?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostSun May 22, 2016 10:32 pm 
Today while headed back from a drive in the mountains I was too busy rocking out to notice where the fuel gage was. My car gets over 38 mpg so I wasn't worried. Wasn't worried even as I passed the construction ahead sign and the "expect delays" sign on I90 westbound after Bellevue. At a stand still for a half hour I noticed the blinking E light. Then I was worried. How long had it been on and how long did I have before running out of gas? The traffic was epic, I thought there'd be no way I'd make it because the construction detour had us on the express lanes. I studied that blinking light. At one point it stopped and held one bar and then two. Turned up the music thinking there was some sort of reserve tank somewhere. Nope, minutes later back to one blinking bar. Sinking feeling again on the floating bridge of all places. That bridge seemed like 50 miles long today. Crawling along, not mad at the gridlock, just worried that I'd run out. My car's fuel injected so running out might be a big deal, there was that worry about too. Traffic was creeping west and my eyes were on that blinking light. What was I thinking? I turned down the music as if that'd help. Nothing seemed to matter accept getting to Rainier Ave and that Shell Station. No luck that exit was closed. I was really sweating bullets by that time sitting in traffic for maybe an hour past Bellevue? And then as the lanes opened up and I gingerly pressed the gas pedal. Minutes seemed like hours. Somehow, some way I made it to the station. I was never so happy to get gas. I even washed my car afterwards thinking my car would forgive me. Crazy experience because I always think ahead and keep the tank at a safe level. Another lesson learned and there to remind me.... How about you, you live on the edge or keep it topped off?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun May 22, 2016 10:38 pm 
Good story. I bought a Chevy 4wd truck and when I filled it the gauge went way past the full mark and seems to stay there for a loooong time. So on my 1st trip to Idaho I thought I had plenty of fuel, but ran out just above the actual empty mark. Bottom line, don't trust a fuel gauge too far, especially on older vehicles.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon May 23, 2016 4:29 am 
Running out is a pain. In my twenties I did more than once. After jogging the freeway for a few miles and paying a,ridiculous amount for a 1 gallon can. I refill approaching or below 1/4 tank around town and top up before heading into the mountains. Who needs extra stress and drama in their lives?

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon May 23, 2016 5:41 am 
Brucester wrote:
How about you, you live on the edge or keep it topped off?
Recently bought a new Dodge P/U with a (supposedly) 31 gallon tank. Even when I run around town for a day or so with the low fuel light on, I have yet to put in more than 26 1/2 gallons. I once ran a Grand Cherokee many, many miles past E once in Minnesota before I realized the fact. I turned around and drove about 20 miles back to the last town and filled up, maybe taking 19 1/2 gallons in a 20 gallon tank. I try not to do that ever, and for certain in Montana, I stop and re-fill at about 1/4 to 1/2 tank. Besides, my chiropractor said it's best not to sit for too long without getting out and walking around a bit. Helps prevent blood clots. eek.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostMon May 23, 2016 7:18 am 
I don't know the answer for my FJ. But I have always wondered when the gas light comes on, how much gas do I have left? A gallon? two gallons? Thankfully I have never run out of gas. Though I did have a friend whose car ran out of gas on the freeway but had enough momentum to get to the exit, roll down the ramp and into a gas station.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostMon May 23, 2016 7:33 am 
I've helped out people who thought they had enough to make it to the gas station until they went up a hill.

RichP

RichP
PostMon May 23, 2016 7:34 am 
Type in your model and see. I've always heard that there can still be from one to two gallons in the tank when the light comes on. http://tankonempty.com

hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostMon May 23, 2016 10:32 am 
Someone most of you all know ran his car out of gas after passing a gas station less than a mile back on the way to an ill-fated backpacking trip.. why didn't I listen to the signs?

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon May 23, 2016 11:06 am 
Not far enough. lol.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostMon May 23, 2016 12:19 pm 
I have a 2006 Outback wagon and have gone about 50 miles with the gaslight on. The dash computer gave up trying to estimate the mileage remaining and just showed a blank. I think I was within half a gallon of totally empty on the refill. Also nearly ran out of gas driving a rental 2016 Rav4 in Utah. I thought I had more gas than it actually did because the gaslight comes on before the needle hits E in this car!

Brucester

Brucester
PostTue May 24, 2016 8:10 pm 
Stopped by Toyota yesterday, they didn't know. 30 miles was the estimate. I have a small tank, 10 gallons maybe. I do have AAA.... It won't happen again. lol.gif

David Cole
Waterfall lover

David Cole
Waterfall lover
PostTue May 24, 2016 10:52 pm 
Years ago I was living in Philadelphia and owned a decrepit 1984 Trans Am with a faulty gas gauge. For those unfamiliar with Philly, New Jersey is right across the river and has much cheaper gas than Pennsylvania. As a result, there are tons of gas stations on the NJ side of each of the city's bridges over the Delaware River. One night I was driving to NJ across the Ben Franklin Bridge, and my car's engine began sputtering just as I reached the crest of the bridge. Fortunately, I was able to nurse the car up over the crest just before the engine died, and then coast all the way down the bridge and effortlessly glide right into the first gas station like a boss. cool.gif

"The mountains are calling and I must go." -- John Muir web | twitter | facebook