Forum Index > Trail Talk > Appalachian Trail... 'lost for 26 days before dying'
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostThu May 26, 2016 11:39 pm 
Some notes: 1. That is an astoundingly HUGE and very rugged search area. 2. While it is true that search teams passed near the site, there is no evidence of whether or not she was actually there at the time or whether she arrived at that area later. 3. If she was in fact camped at the location where she died for all 26+ days, she may have been following the "stay put if you get lost" adage - which is a good idea in most situations - a stationary target is theoretically a lot easier to find and is not getting more lost. Also, she was 66 and likely only had 2 nights/3 days of food (total, less when she got lost). She may not have had the energy/physical ability to continue moving in rough off trail terrain, and if she had no idea which way the trail was, she could have gotten even more lost even if she could travel. 4. Her campsite was near a stream - even if the searchers were doing voice checks, she may not have been able to hear them due to water noise (I don't know how much of an issue this is back east, but here in lovely western Washington, this is a huge problem. You can be very near a person and water and/or terrain can drown out yelling, whistles, horn blasts, etc... and it seems like when the lost person actually manages to call 911, their description of where they are always includes "I'm in the forest, near a stream.") 5. Regardless of how well they may or may not have completed their search assignments, it would suck to be those searchers that passed near her final resting place. As heartbreaking as it is, I'm glad her journal/notes made it out - it at least answers some questions for her family. 6. A PLB, SPOT, or InReach would have changed the outcome drastically. bawl.gif

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu May 26, 2016 11:51 pm 
Your points about not being to hear are very valid, but according to this article the searchers who passed close to camp site where there in September 2015. From an October 2015 article: Search efforts over the last two years covered a roughly 23-mile area between the lean-to where Largay was last seen to Wyman Township. Three dog searches were done in the area – which is tough to traverse because of dense forest debris – including one last month that came within 100 yards of where the skeletal remains were found. http://www.pressherald.com/2015/10/30/geraldine-largay-died-of-exposure-on-appalachian-trail-autopsy-finds/

LizzyRN

LizzyRN
PostFri May 27, 2016 7:53 am 
I remember watching this episode of North Woods Law, more than once. I believe she was a retired nurse (explains the old back injury and inability to carry a heavy pack) She had a SPOT device, but when the wardens asked her husband if she had something like that, he found it in the belongings that HE had with him in the hotel. Tragic. My husband, who will occasionally hike but he's not someone who backpacks, watched that episode quite intently. It really struck home. He asked me then to "PLEASE, PLEASE Lizzy, no matter where you're going, please take your SPOT". So, I do. We both have mentioned this situation to each other since first watching that episode. I've looked for news about her since that episode, her name stuck in my mind. I appreciate Yanas perspective. Excellent points. Kim, or anyone, what does FOIA stand for? Thanks.

LizzyRN Where's my inhaler?!
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostFri May 27, 2016 8:11 am 
LizzyRN wrote:
what does FOIA stand for?
Freedom of Information Act

Knows literally nothing
LizzyRN

LizzyRN
PostFri May 27, 2016 8:50 am 
Thanks, GeoTom

LizzyRN Where's my inhaler?!
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri May 27, 2016 8:52 am 
Dect6 wrote:
Celticclimber wrote:
When I read that. My first thought was: Just how far off trail did she go to pee?
Exactly....how the heck did that happen??
Article in today's PI said she was directionally "challenged", which is quite an odd situation for a person heading out solo into the deep woods. Like having vertigo but still wanting to tight rope walk w/o a net. The woods back east are particularly disorienting. Around here there is usually an obvious up-down progression, especially following water ways. Back there not the case, especially that part of Maine.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri May 27, 2016 8:59 am 
coldrain108 wrote:
Article in today's PI said she was directionally "challenged", which is quite an odd situation for a person heading out solo into the deep woods.
I guess knowing that about herself is why she didn't walk out a bit each day to try to find the trail or have SAR locate her, which was my question; so that answers that, I think. She had intended on taking a SPOT with her; it was left behind by mistake. And she may have fallen when she stepped off trail for her privacy, and that fall may have disoriented her. That happened years ago with a gent who fell off the Mt. Pugh trail. So I guess taking a SPOT or other beacon even when you step off the trail to pee would be prudent. Ah, the poor thing, and poor family. That 23 days will likely haunt them forever. I'm hinked out about it and I didn't even know this lady. frown.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostFri May 27, 2016 9:24 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
I'm hinked out about it and I didn't even know this lady. frown.gif
ditto.gif

~Mom jeans on wheels
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri May 27, 2016 9:58 am 
Needless to say, whenever you "step" off the trail, please turn around occasionally to note what your return trip will look like. Too many people are in the want to walk fast mode, and you need to slow down and pay attention to the little things--in flat land that means shadows and sun positions, and odd things like rocks or snags or ?? along the way. In steep country, that means up or down and landmarks and little things--stumps, rocks, fungi, even somebody's trash. Pick the latter up on your way back. Yah, I know, you have a GPS... rolleyes.gif Pay attention. When returning, seeing that cool looking rock that you noticed while going away can be very reassuring.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri May 27, 2016 10:07 am 
Sounds like you're accusing and trying and convicting this woman. She didn't have a GPS. We don't know what happened.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri May 27, 2016 11:58 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
Sounds like you're accusing and trying and convicting this woman. She didn't have a GPS. We don't know what happened.
Sounds like you are over analyzing my blurb. I don't know what the woman did, I don't know anything about it. While others are trying to guess and make up scenarios--none of whom were there, I'm simply advising folks to pay attention to their surroundings. The people that read on here. I am not blaming anybody. People get lost. I get lost in buildings. I even got turned around in Omak, because I wasn't paying attention and the clouds were low and hiding the landmarks. I don't have a GPS or even a smart phone. Electronics are good until the battery goes, you lose it, or it gets smashed, or something else. Then what do you do? Excrement happens.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri May 27, 2016 2:37 pm 
To think what the searchers were up against, think of looking for the needle in a haystack. No matter how close you get to the needle, you won't find it until you are exactly right on top of it. This is a cautionary tale for me, about the same age and somewhat directionally challenged. A simple, smart practice for me would be to have my compass with me at all times, follow a bearing into the woods, then follow the opposite bearing back to the trail.

wakerobin

wakerobin
PostFri May 27, 2016 5:19 pm 
I grew up in Maine and I know what the woods are like, but one thing that bothers me and it's a little petty maybe, but...how much privacy do you need to pee? And in the Maine woods, lovely, dark and deep chances are you won't see another person in the time it takes to do your duty. I've seen this before, people think they need to go a half mile off trail to pee. You (if you are a lady) are in theory, squatting down, probably behind a big tree or fallen log. Chances are no one is going to see you and if someone is coming down the trail and happens to see you in the woods, doesn't common courtesy dictate "look away?" Every body pees, it's a thing. In the end, it's a really tragic situation, one that is easy to judge from thousands of miles away. I am glad the family has some closure. I would hope they would do an update on North Woods Law, for as often as that show is on, it would be nice for the general public to at least know the outcome.

Between the silence of the mountains and the crashing of the sea...
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri May 27, 2016 5:58 pm 
FWIW three years ago , a friend of mine after her third recurrence of ovarian cancer choose to stop eating and drinking 24 days elapsed between her last meal and ANY fluid intake before she took her last breath . OTH I know people that have food fasted for two months (as an alternative treatment for heart disease ) , while they ate no food , they did drink water. Once they resumed food intake their energy and activity level returned to nnormal levels quickly. So with "Inchworm" unfortunate death , i wonder if she was also not drinking water during her isolation . Sad case, horrible for her family and a bit puzzling to understand .

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri May 27, 2016 8:11 pm 
Tragic incident for someone trying to live a bucket list item.Good on her for going for it. up.gif I usually carry one of these in my shirt pocket or watch band even though as it has been mentioned there are lots of things to orient yourself with in the cascades.