Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hawkins Mountain (backdoor route) - 5.25.2016
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostFri May 27, 2016 12:12 pm 
The first time I used the backdoor route to Hawkins was in 2011... and I decided then and there that if I ever did it again, I would choose this route. The backdoor route requires 300 more feet of elevation gain than the standard DeRoux Creek route, but the roundtrip mileage is 40 percent less than the standard route (6.6 miles versus 11.5 miles). For first-timers using this route, the crux of the trip will probably be finding the "unsigned" trailhead for Boulder-DeRoux Trail #1392. The confusion begins when you turn right off of FS-4330-138 onto FS-4330-140... and within seconds you will see a very large trailhead sign for Boulder-DeRoux Trail #1392. The only problem is that there is no trail here... so keep driving another half-mile on road 140 to an obvious parking area where the road forces 4-wheel vehicles to park... then hike a half-mile or so to what probably used to be the trailhead parking area For Boulder-DeRoux Trail #1392. At this point you have driven FS-4330-140 for a half-mile... parked... and then hiked FS-4330-140 another half-mile to a small parking area where the unsigned Boulder-DeRoux Trail begins. Now that you are at the unsigned Boulder-DeRoux Trailhead, don't even think about taking a single step on the Boulder-DeRoux Trail... instead, follow a faint path uphill toward Point 4472... and on the north side of Point 4472 pick up faint remnants of the abandoned Hawkins Mountain Trail #1228... knowing that this trail will become much more obvious at ~5000 feet. At ~5200 feet you will come out of the trees and get your first clear view of Hawkins Mountain from an open ridge that will take you over to Hawkins' south ridge... which leads up to the false summit (7080+)... where an easy ridge walk leads over to the true summit (7160') and outstanding views in all directions. It is not necessary to go to the false summit... instead, a person could opt to make an upward traverse underneath the false summit to a saddle between the false and true summits... then summit from the saddle. I would recommend a mid-to-high clearance vehicle for the half-mile drive on FS-4330-140 to where we parked. 6.6 miles roundtrip, gaining 3730 feet of elevation. Photos, trailhead directions and downloadable GPS track of our trip to Hawkins Mountain. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri May 27, 2016 2:04 pm 
Nice trip! FWIW: If you have a HIGH-clearance vehicle -- spur-305 can also be followed -- a few years ago we were able to drive up six switchbacks up the road (~600 vft) and then start hiking/skiing).

RichP

RichP
PostFri May 27, 2016 2:10 pm 
I tried this route based on your earlier trip report and really liked it. up.gif

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostFri May 27, 2016 3:17 pm 
What a great looking ridge walk! up.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSun May 29, 2016 9:44 pm 
I found a pair of gloves and an orange plastic ice axe tip on this trail today. Anyone lost these items recently? I would love to return them.

BdCast

BdCast
PostMon May 30, 2016 7:11 am 
Second what Randy said. If you have a 4x4 and want to shed more mileage off your trip, drive 304. You basically would start you hike at the ridge you popped out on. Hiking is fun too smile.gif

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostMon May 30, 2016 9:37 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
FWIW: If you have a HIGH-clearance vehicle -- spur-305 can also be followed -- a few years ago we were able to drive up six switchbacks up the road (~600 vft) and then start hiking/skiing).
We used 305 last year... but only used it for hiking... as we did a loop trip of Huckleberry and Hawkins. GPS track for Huckleberry Mtn and Hawkins Mtn.

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------