Forum Index > Photography Talk > Capture Pro Review
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat May 28, 2016 2:29 pm 
Review on my blog I intend to use this device on all my hiking and backpacking trips this summer; it's more convenient than carrying your camera in a pouch or backpack and more comfortable than carrying it on a strap around your neck.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed Jun 22, 2016 3:08 pm 
Here's my review of the Capture Pro's companion accessory, the Shell camera cover: http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/2016/06/shell-ultralight-camera-cover-review.html

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
tehsweetness

tehsweetness
PostTue Jun 28, 2016 12:44 pm 
Heck yea. +1 to the value of these things. Don't see too many people out and about with them, and occasionally get the double take (what the heck is that?). Only issues I've encountered: - A little trickier to take your bag on/off with the camera attached (may be better to detach camera first. - Can forget it's there/sticking out! I actually scraped my camera against a tree as I was tightly passing other hikers on the trail.

noahk
Noah

noahk
Noah
PostWed Jun 29, 2016 8:59 am 
+1, these things are fantastic. There does not exist a more convenient way to carry your camera smile.gif As tehsweetness mentioned, you have to be a little careful to make sure you dont scrape up your camera going through tight spaces, or when removing your pack. If you set your pack down, the weight of the camera can pull it forward and on top of it, so be mindful of that. One other issue I've encountered is that over time something in mine has apparently bent, and I can no longer get the plate into the mechanism. I'm not sure how that happened since the whole assembly feels pretty robust. However, its a useful enough widget that I plan on getting another one if I can't figure this issue out.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Jun 29, 2016 10:21 am 
I used to carry my Garmin GPS on my hip with a sturdy belt clip. If you do anything except walk on trails I think you may be surprised how many things will bump into your camera. The GPS got really beat up and then eventually knocked off and lost while bushwhacking. Now I clip the GPS to my pack strap at my chest with a backup lanyard attached to my belt. I would never carry a camera on my hip, especially an expensive one.

trestle

trestle
PostSun Jul 03, 2016 9:54 am 
Great review, NacMac, that's a really neat device. I've shared your blog review with a friend on a different forum. I hope you're able to give us more feedback on it as you carry it through the summer and beyond. up.gif

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed Jul 06, 2016 8:47 am 
trestle wrote:
Great review, NacMac, that's a really neat device. I've shared your blog review with a friend on a different forum. I hope you're able to give us more feedback on it as you carry it through the summer and beyond. up.gif
Thanks! I really appreciate the share. smile.gif One problem that's kept me from using the Capture Pro as much as I'd like is that I use a Vanguard tripod, and its quick release plate isn't compatible with the Capture Pro. Fortunately the quick release plate has a screw mount on its underside so that it can attach to incompatible quick release plates, but this isn't nearly as convenient as being able to use the quick release plate directly. This wasn't an issue I encountered while I was reviewing the Capture Pro since the hiking I was doing then didn't call for much tripod use. I only noticed the problem recently since over the last month I've been doing a lot of tripod-heavy photography. There does seem to be a solution though, Peak Design has instructions for how to convert an incompatible tripod quick release mount to be compatible with the Capture Pro: https://support.peakdesign.com/hc/en-us/articles/202329558. Apparently it's as simple as buying a cheap Arca-compatible clamping pad. I'll probably pick one up in the near future and will report back when I do.