Forum Index > Photography Talk > Recommend a pocket camera?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Mar 09, 2016 4:14 pm 
I have a Canon 5D iii and a 24 mm f/1.4 ii that I use for "real" pictures, but I need a point and shoot. My requirements are: * 24 mm field of view * Good 8x12 inch prints * Able to frame the shot in 2x3 mode * Comfortable in a side pocket Some tele zoom is nice to have, too, and dynamic range will not go unappreciated. This will be used on hikes where I don't expect great pics and leave the SLR behind, or don't want to risk damaging it. It'll also be used on bike rides, where the SLR is cumbersome and potentially dangerous to carry. That means size and form factor are important. My budget is up to $300 but less is better. My last P&S died swimming (but I treasure the pics!), the one before that died rock climbing, the one before that at Sahale Camp in NCNP, wind blew some sand into the lens mechanism and it couldn't open. So I'm not expecting this one to last forever, and don't want to spend on something too fancy. The good news is I'm spoiled for choice, the bad news is it's kind of overwhelming. Can anybody recommend any specific models?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostWed Mar 09, 2016 7:13 pm 
Size was important for me too and this camera is smaller than a cigarette pack. Not sure if it meets all of your requirements, but it fits nicely in a pocket. I've been using it since last year and am happy with it. http://www.sony.com/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras/dsc-wx220

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Mar 09, 2016 9:31 pm 
I usually use a small waterproof camera, currently a Fuji about $150 from Costco. Not as much zoom as some but pretty immune to weather, sand, and dropping. Image quality not near as good as SLR but fulfilled most of IP wishes.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Mar 09, 2016 10:44 pm 
If you want something bullet proof with OK results, the Oly TG series seems to consistently get a lot of good reviews. If you are into replacing regularly, go the Best Buy and play around with a few, and buy whatever is on sale and you think you can use. I am guessing all the small sensor, pocketable cameras in that price range are pretty close to the same results these days, and will give you at least give you something fairly decent to email and 8x10.

friluftsliv
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Mar 09, 2016 10:58 pm 
Or stick with Canon. This one seems to meet all of your criteria. The Canon D30 waterproof camera looks intriguing and gets a fair amount of decent reviews. A few complaints about picture quality and a rare leak flaw, but that seems a bit of a crap shoot with any durable camera. I will say I was a big fan of Canon cameras, until my last 3 died due to the main sensor blacking out and bricking the camera. And then I noticed a lot more reviews for Canon quality fading in recent years.

friluftsliv
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Mar 10, 2016 4:13 pm 
Thanks for the recommendations! smile.gif Any thoughts on Canon's S110 or S120, or a refurbished Panasonic Lumix ZS35 for $140? The D30 sounds very nice, and I've enjoyed Canons so far (although I haven't kept up to date on the latest). Sadly it only goes down to 28 mm for a wide angle, so it won't do. The Sony gets to 25 mm which is very close to what I need. I've had Sonys before and really liked their panorama function though.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Mar 10, 2016 5:22 pm 
I bought an as new Fugifilm Finepixax camera on ebay for $25 and free shipping and am pretty happy with it. Here is a similar one, but mine is 15 mp and 5x zoom and the panorama feature works pretty well. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujifilm-FinePix-JZ300-Digital-Camera-12-MP-10x-Wide-/182049096525?hash=item2a62f8c34d:g:PQgAAOSwGotWlXY4

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
mike

mike
PostFri Mar 11, 2016 11:54 am 
This new Nikon looks sweet but in the RX100 price ranges

MikeBeebe
Seeking the Ur

MikeBeebe
Seeking the Ur
PostSat Mar 12, 2016 4:09 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Any thoughts on Canon's S110 or S120
My DSLR is a 6D, but when I went to London and Paris, I didn't want to haul my whole rig with me, so I opted for a Canon S110. Primary reasons? It was cheap, It shoots RAW, it's totally compact and has the same set of options as my 6D -- including manual settings. Obviously, there's not as many megapixels as my 6D, but the ability to shoot RAW will allow you to correct a lot of photographic mistakes in Lightroom or GIMP. I'm very happy with the quality of the photos I took with my S110 and plan to use it for all my travels.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSat Mar 19, 2016 4:25 pm 
I've been using a Lumix DMC LX7 as my pocket camera and have been pleased with the quality and the pocket-ability. Excellent macro feature for flowers and such. My only complaint is that it requires a lens cap and due to the small size, it's really hard to keep from smudging the lens. After 3 years of abuse (I'm pretty hard on the pocket cameras) I just started getting a "lens error" problem so I'm on the market for a new one as well. Based on this report ( http://point-and-shoot-camera-review.toptenreviews.com/) and some other reviews, I'm leaning toward a Canon Powershot G16 (no lens cap...). I know it's "old" but it seems to have what I need. It's that or another Lumix (they're under $300 now).

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
mike

mike
PostSat Mar 19, 2016 7:02 pm 
@ Zachster LX7 is a nice little camera. My wife has an LX5. I picked up an auto-open lenscap for it which solves that problem.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSat Mar 19, 2016 9:16 pm 
Now I know... rolleyes.gif winksmile.gif In case I ever go back to Lumix...

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Mar 20, 2016 4:47 pm 
bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
fairweather friend

fairweather friend
PostFri Apr 01, 2016 6:38 pm 
I've been using an LX7 for four or five years now, and the more I use it, the more I've come to like it. And I use my camera HARD! Right now, I'm down in the SW on a three month road trip, including 7 weeks of river trips (Grand Canyon, San Juan River, plus the Owyhee & Bruneau on the way home) and many hikes (The Wave! Paria Canyon, etc.). I'm only two thirds done with this trip and I've already shot over 6,000 images with this camera. My LX7 has survived dust storms, getting dropped on the trail, handling with dripping wet hands, etc., and it's still going strong. (knock on wood.) It's so small, I don't mind backpacking with it and when I'm traveling by kayak, it rides in a small waterproof case. I actually bought a Sony A6000, but a day before I left on this trip I came to my senses and realized that I am far too rough on cameras to be changing lenses on the fly. But while playing around with the A6000 for a month, I realized that I like the software/programming of the LX7 way better. For example, panoramas and in-camera HDR are much better on the LX7 than the A6000. I actually like playing around with the LX7's presets, but I realize most people just edit on Lightroom or Photoshop. For me, always on the run, it's often just easier to use the presets. I can live without a big telephoto, but my biggest complaint with this camera is that the small sensor does not allow for night shots. And that's a biggie for me, so I am considering replacing it with a Sony RX 100 M4. Panasonic keeps promising an LX8, but from the pre-release info I've seen, it will still have a smallish sensor. I also carry an Olympus TG-4, which I keep in my PFD when I'm paddling. Great camera for the river, but the image quality does not come close to the LX7. Okay, that my one post on NWHikers this quarter. I'll check back in May or June to see if anyone responded! smile.gif The river (or trail) is calling!

kweb

kweb
PostSun Apr 03, 2016 11:38 am 
bobbi wrote:
Sony hx80
Hmmm, I've been thinking about the RX100 for a while now but the small zoom has kept me from pulling the trigger. This looks interesting.