Forum Index > Trip Reports > 2019-12-21 Sunburst Mountain, Turnagain Pass, AK
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSun Dec 22, 2019 5:20 pm 
My day started out with a beautiful drive around Turnagain Arm along the Seward Highway. The mountains on the southside go right down into the water. Once at milepost 66.8 I pulled off to the parking area that serves as the launchpoint for Sunburst and Magnum. As I pulled in to the parking area my friend Cait recognized my car and she waved excitedly. She and a few others had had plans for Eddie's, but decided an easier day would be in order since they skied 3 laps on Sunburst the day before. The trailhead had no snow so I A-framed my skis on my pack as the rest packed up their splitboards on their packs.
Sunburst Mountain
Sunburst Mountain
We booted for just under a mile until we could don our skies/boards on consistent snowpack.
Sunburst Mountain
Sunburst Mountain
Sunburst Mountain
Sunburst Mountain
It was a dog party as we prepared for the snow. Once on our way we quickly got through the trees and into open country. We had originally thought of heading to the right up to Magnum and making a long run down. Upon further discussion we decided to head up to the left up Sunburst. The two women quickly left us two guys behind.
Sunburst Mountain
Sunburst Mountain
The views were spectacular as I soaked them in quite regularly with quick stop on the way up.
Sunburst Mountain
Sunburst Mountain
Sunburst Mountain
Sunburst Mountain
Finally we reached the ridge and the going got a bit of easier. After what felt like an itinerary I caught up with the women as they stopped 600' below the summit. They had been to the summit yesterday and said it was corniced and very icy. I was mildly bummed about not reaching the summit, but that would be for another day. Kenny caught up and we all got ready for the descent.
Sunburst Mountain
Sunburst Mountain
There was already talk about doing a partial skin up Magnum and I opted to not do anymore ascending, I was tired and had just 2300' of gain. Being still new to the wonderful world of BC skiing, my stamina isn't very high yet. We descended through 4-6" of powder and it was glorious. We stopped about a 1/4 from the bottom and regrouped. From here I headed to the right while the rest of the group headed straight to a gully below Magnum. The further down I progressed, the more tracked out the snow became. I had a somewhat tough time skiing through some of the previous turns but luckily kept my skis beneath me. I only encountered a few straggling skiers heading up as it was close to 1:00pm and our sunlight would only last until 3:30. In short time I reached the spot where I would switch to boot packing and by 1:30 I was back at the car. I only made one run but the time I spent to earn it was well spent and well earned.
Sunburst Mountain
Sunburst Mountain

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostSun Dec 22, 2019 5:52 pm 
Skis are such great way to move about. I'm still waiting for enough snow to use mine this year though I've gotten in a couple days so far. Are you living in Alaska now?

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSun Dec 22, 2019 6:44 pm 
Rich, yes, I now live in Anchorage Alaska

RichP

RichP
PostSun Dec 22, 2019 7:23 pm 
Awesome. Looking forward to more AK reports.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Dec 22, 2019 8:48 pm 
Great work, Bryan. About that camera angle...what about tilting it up maybe 3-4 degrees so the viewer can see just a tiny bit more than the ground and your ski tips? There must be a sweet spot in that set up to give us more scenery along with the descent. I don't know because I don't have one of those helmet cams. Those vistas of the mountains and glaciated valleys are amazing. Looks like you are having fun up there. I am sure you are homesick for all this rain you've been missing lately. ~z

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSun Dec 22, 2019 10:54 pm 
zephyr wrote:
About that camera angle
I thought the same thing. I’m learning the POV angles on my gopro.