Forum Index > Trip Reports > Icicle Ridge - 4th of July to Leavenworth 5/30-31/2016
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue May 31, 2016 8:29 pm 
I had been up Icicle Ridge from Leavenworth and the 4th of July trail several times but had never completed the full traverse from the LO site back to Leavenworth. Steve and I dropped my truck at my brother’s house near the Icicle Ridge TH and had him drive us up to the 4th of July TH. Yeah that trail is steep but you seem to take all of your medicine at once and then you are on top.
North side of Cashmere
North side of Cashmere
Steve at the water source near the summit Lookout with the Chants for a backddrop
Steve at the water source near the summit Lookout with the Chants for a backddrop
Summit
Summit
From the summit of the ridge we took a water break and started traversing down toward what Steve called the “Horse camp” several miles down the ridge. He has been hiking that trail since he was a teenager and gave me a full historical update at every turn. After setting up camp we had a nice campfire and sipped a drink waiting for the full showing of Mars.
Leaving the LO site behind
Leaving the LO site behind
Glacier
Glacier
Leavenworth and Wenatchee River Valley
Leavenworth and Wenatchee River Valley
Our Camp site mid ridge
Our Camp site mid ridge
Steve setting up his tent
Steve setting up his tent
HitTheTrail at camp site
HitTheTrail at camp site
It froze that night but we woke up the next morning to a beautiful day for our hike back to Leavenworth. While I was screwing around checking for cell service on top my brother called and said to call him when we were about a half hour above his house so he could have cold drinks and hot burgers waiting for us. Of course we did that!
Morning sun
Morning sun
From left Stuart, Sherpa, Argonaut, Dragontail, Colchuck
From left Stuart, Sherpa, Argonaut, Dragontail, Colchuck
Cashmere, Stuart, others
Cashmere, Stuart, others
Steve posing
Steve posing
HTT freezing still cold
HTT freezing still cold
Power Lakes are unmaned on maps
Power Lakes are unmaned on maps
The trail
The trail
Drury Falls
Drury Falls
Great trip with an added kicker at the end.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jun 01, 2016 6:35 am 
up.gif Looks like you had a good spot and great views.

Living in the Anthropocene
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Jun 01, 2016 12:32 pm 
A favorite of mine. Thanks for the report!
HitTheTrail wrote:
So that's what the Power Lakes mess look like when not under snow. I used to hike the 4th of July Creek Trail - Leavenworth section as a spring hike and would hate postholing through the Power Lakes basin (scraped my leg up pretty good on one of those snow covered trees once). So many downed trees. I am a huge fan of this hike; just not that part. shakehead.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Jun 01, 2016 3:04 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
I am a huge fan of this hike; just not that part
The snowy trail photo next to the Power Lakes photo is coming out of that depression. There is still a chance to posthole and/or fall through a small snow bridge into water if you are not careful. I would love it if there was some way to just hike the middle section on top the ridge. But, as the saying goes, "if wishes were fishes the seas would be bountiful".
HitTheTrail wrote:
The trail
The trail

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostWed Jun 01, 2016 4:53 pm 
Nice. smile.gif I've wanted to camp up there myself. Actually one year, on the traverse, we did avoid the Power Creek drainage by staying high on the ridge and swinging around to the south. Eventually we popped right back out on the trail. It seemed like a good option, but memories do fade. suuure.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Jun 01, 2016 6:07 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
Actually one year, on the traverse, we did avoid the Power Creek drainage by staying high on the ridge and swinging around to the south.
We talked about that but no, Steve wanted me to see Power Lakes to prove they were actually there. As a bit of local history: according to him Power Creek was not named after the power plant in the Tumwater since it comes into the river quite a ways downstream from the plant. He reckons the water was used to power the old sawmill that was down on what is now called Black Bird Island in the town of Leavenworth.