Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > How do I stop MS from "upgrading" to Windows 10"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Jun 03, 2016 8:48 pm 
OffTheBeatenTrack wrote:
I had problems with the new Edge browser........
Oh so Edge is considered to be a browser? I got so frigg'n confused when I brought it up I immediately closed it and started using Chrome.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Nov 23, 2016 4:11 pm 
I generally like Windows 10. Although I really scratch my head at some of the un-requested update nonsense. On 2 different laptops the taskbar mysteriously moved from bottom to right. What the bleep! shakehead.gif I thought maybe I had moved it by mistake on my laptop a few days ago but after seeing it moved on my wife's laptop I'm wondering if this was an automatic update. Not intuitive at all how to move it back. You'd think you could drag it back down to the bottom but no, must go to settings, taskbar, and select the taskbar position.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Nov 23, 2016 10:40 pm 
I hate how they don't give you the option of when to run the update cycle. I'll shut down my laptop at the end of the work day and it'll start updating and telling me not to turn it off. Hey, my day is over, I got things to do and places I need to be, I can't sit around for 15+ minutes while Windoze does its thing... shakehead.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Nov 24, 2016 7:53 am 
I do not like this update thing. I start up my computer to get a quick check on the weather and must wait, and wait, and wait and wait for updates to be installed. The updating slows down my computer so much that this site is all that will load. Dunno why. I use the nwhikers site to see if things are working and just exceptionally slow, or not working. From what I understand, even though Centurylink is always advertising super faster speed that we should sign up for, we have too many people on our rural system, but not enough for them to spend on a better system, so we would be paying them extra for the same speed. Oh well, have a happy weekend.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
trestle

trestle
PostThu Nov 24, 2016 9:33 am 
Centurylink is one of the worst companies in America. Their network and equipment completely ruined one of our computers. I would rather go without internet than accept their service.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Nov 24, 2016 3:38 pm 
I have seen Wave vans in the area. Anybody know how they are?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Nov 24, 2016 9:15 pm 
trestle wrote:
Centurylink is one of the worst companies in America
Apparently you've never used Comcast, Time-Warner or Huges Satellite for your ISP

WANative

WANative
PostThu Nov 24, 2016 11:38 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I have seen Wave vans in the area. Anybody know how they are?
They serve my area. They serve areas that "normal"companies wouldn't serve due to lack of return on investment due to house spacing (rurality) issues. They are actually awesome. I get 80 MBPS here off the cable modem. When there are issues (like trees taking out powerlines) they are quick to respond. First they were Millenium, then Broadstripe, now they are Wave.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Nov 25, 2016 1:33 pm 
Be aware that Wave has instituted land line data caps (of course, so has Comcast now, and CenturyLink looks to be rolling it out soon as well so it may simply be unavoidable in the future - Frontier is still free of them for now, I believe). If you stream video or movies, you will likely go over them and incur more fees for yourselves.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri Nov 25, 2016 4:15 pm 
The real truth about data caps is the digital stuff is still fairly new and there is no company as yet that has caught up.. Maybe in another ten years when nearly everything is digital. If you dont need to use the connection for a long time you might think about getting a mobile broadband device and pay as you go...It is still not cost effective but at least you can connect anywhere, sitting in your car in the middle of nowhere, so long as you can connect to a cell tower.. I have used the straight talk hocky puc thingy with speed up to 95mb. Not cheap but you can check email and weather in a fairly short time.....

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Nov 25, 2016 5:10 pm 
Thread drift alert. huh.gif ~z

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Nov 25, 2016 5:52 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Thread drift alert. huh.gif ~z .
Not really. Windows10 downloads take a long time for my area. That may be due to the speed of CenturyLink. We're talking about more speed (maybe) with another company.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Nov 25, 2016 6:07 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Windows10 downloads take a long time for my area.
Gotcha. That would make it more aggravating for sure. ~z

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Nov 25, 2016 10:08 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
The real truth about data caps is the digital stuff is still fairly new and there is no company as yet that has caught up.
Sort of. ISPs were functioning exactly as they needed to 5-7 years ago, with no effective data caps (for the most part). They've only starting to implement them because people are quickly ditching cable TV for streaming video services, and companies like Comcast and Time Warner who provides both Cable TV and internet service are trying to stop the bleeding by making it painful in the wallet to use one service without the other. The bottom line is there is absolutely positively no legitimate justification for caps on land line internet usage, and people really need to get up in arms about this because it's only going to get worse until and unless the FCC steps in to stop this behavior. It's all just a scheme to suck more money out of their subscribers. The problems now arising are that software is being distributed more and more frequently over the internet instead of on disc, so that ends up chewing up the pitifully small cap space that many plans have - and there have been quite a few stories about people upgrading to Windows 10 getting hit with huge overage charges because it downloaded itself automatically.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Nov 28, 2016 1:29 pm 
Sorry to contribute to the thread drift, but I had an experience that's relevant especially to Sore Feet's post above me. I bought a new bike computer a week ago, a Garmin Edge 1000. It's been sitting on the shelf a while and immediately wants to be plugged into a computer and updated. It isn't just the software, it's the maps. I need to download an 8 GB map file.