Forum Index > Trip Reports > North Gardner...highest trees in Washington?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostWed Jun 01, 2016 6:37 pm 
Plenty of TRs have been posted about the Gardners. On my climb on May 31, 2016 of North Gardner, it struck me that there are a dozen or more whitebark pines very close to the summit. The highest one I saw was at 8840'. Sure, these trees are less than a meter high, but they are trees despite their vertically-challenged stature.... some are possibly relatively old at that! I wonder if these might be the highest elevation trees in Washington?
Is this the highest tree in Washington?
Is this the highest tree in Washington?
8840'
8840'
Can any of you climbers of the high peaks confirm any higher trees in Washington? I would guess there might be some candidates on the south slope of Adams. I don't have any pictures from there confirming trees near the Lunch Counter at around 9,000', but I bet someone does or can get them and confirm the elevation. Or... Maude or its sister peaks SFJ , Fernow, and Copper? Maybe Stuart's south slopes? Wolf Creek trail conditions as of May 31 There are quite a few trees across the trail, especially in the middle third. One fellow I spoke with said he counted 67! I chatted with a ranger on the trail and he said that the Wolf Creek trail is a priority for work. I forgot to ask him how high a priority. There are not only the trees to clear but quite a few mildly annoying saplings overhanging the tread. When I went in there in 1992 to climb Gardner, the trail was better. Considering that the meadows were used for summer range, the trail had to be maintained to the standards of a cattle driveway. Also, I think the major fire that burned through there was in 1994 or so. General Gardner Meadows is 99.9% snowfree and the flowers are out. Also the mosquitoes are hungry in the lower miles of the valley. It is amazing to see sagebrush amongst aspens in the meadows! I think it was Iron who drew our attention to that seeming oddity in his TR a while back.
sage among aspen at 5700'
sage among aspen at 5700'
My original plan was to bivy on top, just as I had done on Gardner in 1992, but with a late start, a flare-up of an old running malady (Morton's neuroma...very painful), and fatigue that comes with the years, I didn't do it. However, there is room for one pad and sleeping bag on the very top....or maybe two if you are very close!
my hoped-for sleeping spot with a view!
my hoped-for sleeping spot with a view!
NWHikers!
NWHikers!
getting organized for a mass assembly.
getting organized for a mass assembly.
the famous lightning-struck register lid
the famous lightning-struck register lid
how I felt  too over the last few miles out!
how I felt too over the last few miles out!
The crowds who had been in over the long weekend had vanished, and I had the area to myself. While in there, I thought of the speed and endurance of folks like r3h, who hiked in with an overnight pack, did both Gardners, hiked back out.....then drove all the way home on the same day! Here is a picture of the Gardners from Sweetgrass Butte, site of a former LO, where I spent the night after the climb and long hike out. It has a good gravel road to the top at 6104'.
Gardner (left) and North Gardner
Gardner (left) and North Gardner
North  Gardner from the road along Goat Creek.
North Gardner from the road along Goat Creek.
All in all, this was a fun trip and satisfying to complete despite the frustration of a nagging injury that I thought had been cured now that I no longer do long runs. Long walks are getting to be challenge enough for this high mileage body.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Distel32

Distel32
PostWed Jun 01, 2016 6:45 pm 
Glad you got out for a nice trip! up.gif

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jun 01, 2016 6:48 pm 
The trail was in fairly good shape about a year ago, I don't remember it being particularly brushy. No blowdown either. Yeah, between the sage, trees (aspen maybe?) and Columbia ground squirrels all over the Wolf Creek Meadow area, I was questioning whether I was in fact still in the Cascades, or even Washington for that matter.

littlebit

littlebit
PostWed Jun 01, 2016 8:22 pm 
Nice report and very timely. My wife and I were just considering this trip and wondering how much snow was there. I guessed quite a bit and was wrong. We went there last year over 3 days. Our high mileage bodies will again take 3 days. We live just north of Winthrop and the mosquitos are awful this year. I guess thats the downside to a nice wet winter.

Anish

Anish
PostWed Jun 01, 2016 8:39 pm 
Glad you got it with sunshine!! Sorry to hear about the Morton's flare up. That's a very painful one for sure frown.gif

"Our way is not soft grass. It's a mountain path with lots of rocks. But it goes upwards, forward, toward the sun." -Ruth Westheimer
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostThu Jun 02, 2016 6:44 am 
thanks for the conditions update on the wolf creek trail, glad it appears to be a priority. i can't think of anywhere around here of trees growing up that high up.gif

Eric Eames
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Jun 02, 2016 6:53 am 
raising3hikers wrote:
i can't think of anywhere around here of trees growing up that high up.gif
Eric, if anyone knows, it is probably you. Still, I wonder about Adams. Maybe a little whitebark is "huddled" in a nook or cranny on the south or west flank at an elevation higher than 8840'. As an aside, I recall a sign marking the "farthest-north" tree along the Dalton Highway in Alaska. That particular tree is now a stump due to a misguided souvenir hunter. down.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still