Forum Index > Partners > Mt Olympus summit in July
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Jun 02, 2016 10:31 am 
I'm extending an invitation to to anyone on the list who, like me, doesn't have a regular hiking partner(s), and who would like to summit Mt Olympus, to join me this coming July. I'll be going with a guide company (IMG of Ashford, WA), mainly due to the fact that I only get out to the PNW once a summer and am always busy with grandkids, house projects, etc and do not have a regular hiking partner. That and the fact that I've used them for two previous summits and one of their glacier seminars, and I quite like the company. Yeah, I know, many here have done the trip in two or three days, but that isn't me. I'll be sneaking up on 65 this summer, and as much as I hate to admit it, I'm not as fast/strong as I once was... Anyway, the trip will be 5 days (July 11-15). We meet at the Hoh River Visitor's Center on the morning of the 11th and up we go! Land cost is $1200/person. I believe that currently there are openings for 2 more hikers. Details on the mountain, the trail and the company to be found here.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
graywolf

graywolf
PostThu Jun 02, 2016 12:52 pm 
Nothing wrong with five days - it's a lot more enjoyable that way. I've summited Olympus eight times and have never felt the need to rush; it's such an enjoyable approach and climb. Have a good time! ETA: I'll be 60 in September, and find that I much prefer a relaxed pace these days.

The only easy day was yesterday...
Luc

Luc
PostTue Jun 07, 2016 9:22 am 
This timing is good for me, but I often feel the cost is too high since I prefer to use all of my own gear and food. I wish there was an option for "guide and summit gear only" I suspect that's more of an informal partner search.......anybody?

GNGSTR
gb

gb
PostTue Jun 07, 2016 9:33 am 
Five days is the perfect amount of time for Olympus for a pre-scheduled trip. Having 2 or even 3 potential summit days allows for good weather options. Olympus isn't affected just by Pacific weather fronts but also by how strong onshore flow is. Strong onshore flow can bring significant drizzle/and even snow with near '0' visibility. I've done Olympus a number of times and consider it the premier climbing experience in Washington with it's long approach through the rain forest and it's great glaciers and nice summit.

mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostTue Jun 07, 2016 3:10 pm 
I'd enjoy Olympus, but would rather find a couple of partners than a guided service, though there is nothing wrong with that. Anyone want to get together on something like that, I'd like to be included.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Luc

Luc
PostTue Jun 07, 2016 3:13 pm 
mtn.climber wrote:
Anyone want to get together on something like that, I'd like to be included
+1!

GNGSTR
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Jun 07, 2016 7:14 pm 
Luc wrote:
This timing is good for me, but I often feel the cost is too high since I prefer to use all of my own gear and food. I wish there was an option for "guide and summit gear only" I suspect that's more of an informal partner search.......anybody?
I'd prefer not to spend the $$$, but not living anyhere nearby, I don't have a climbing/hiking partnership, so guide service it is. And there are things to be learned from the guides besides where the trail over the glacier and up the rocks is located. So yes, this is an informal invitation to a trip that's already "a go". Currently there is room for two more, and the date is set (July 11th departure from Hoh River Visitor's Center).

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jun 08, 2016 2:26 pm 
gb wrote:
I've done Olympus a number of times and consider it the premier climbing experience in Washington. . . .
ditto.gif I've often told my non-climber athletic friends that if they're going to climb only one mountain in WA, Oly is the one.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostWed Jun 08, 2016 10:06 pm 
My daughter and i want to do it, we have the last two weeks of August. Probably best if somebody leads besides me on the summit pyramid.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Jun 09, 2016 7:11 am 
williswall wrote:
My daughter and i want to do it, we have the last two weeks of August.
Hmm, I'll be back again in August. Am supposed to put laminate flooring in the house then, but let me consider this.
williswall wrote:
Probably best if somebody leads besides me on the summit pyramid.
I can lead 5.8-9 in the gym (and maybe 5.10 on a good day), and am quite comfortable running top belay, but this is with the anchor(s) and bolts already set (I set 'em). But that's widely different than constructing bomb-proof anchors on rock. Even though the pinnacle on top of Olympus is (and I'm guessing here, basing my estimate on pictures I've seen) maybe 5.6-8(?), I've not led on rock so I think the first time I lead should be with someone who knows what they're doing, and how I should be doing it. And this is part of the reason for me going with a guide this time. Bottom line here is, I'd love for someone here to go with us. Yeah, it's expensive, especially considering many may already have capable partners, but I've dreamed of this trip for a while (just like each of the other trips I've done) and I saved up for this, so it's a go...for me anyway.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jun 09, 2016 8:21 am 
There are three commonly done routes on the summit pyramid. The "standard" is class 4 and not difficult (I've led it) tho airy, but it doesn't go after the snow ramp approach moats out, which as a general trend is happening earlier in the season. A mid-5th class route goes straight up the rappel route. A low 5th class route goes around the right corner.

iron

iron
PostThu Jun 09, 2016 10:36 am 
BigSteve wrote:
ditto.gif I've often told my non-climber athletic friends that if they're going to climb only one mountain in WA, Oly is the one.
i would agree to some extent. you definitely get a good smattering of experiences along the way, though the hoh trail gets old after awhile. however, once on the blue glacier, it's pretty damned awesome. the upper blue is pretty basic stuff and the summit is nice enough.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jun 09, 2016 11:46 am 
iron wrote:
though the hoh trail gets old after awhile.
Not a problem now that weed is legal.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Jun 09, 2016 2:02 pm 
Quote:
the hoh trail gets old after awhile
Also not if you're paying attention and mindfully enjoying your surroundings instead of just beating feet.

Tomlike

Tomlike
PostThu Jun 09, 2016 2:15 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
iron wrote:
though the hoh trail gets old after awhile.
Not a problem now that weed is legal.
pretty sure it wasn't a problem when weed was illegal... long approaches give it an expedition type feel, as opposed to just a peak bagging feel