Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Muhammad Ali dead at 74
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostFri Jun 03, 2016 11:23 pm 
Thoughts? I remember listening on the radio to his fight against Joe Frasier at Madison Square Garden. Also, his shocking loss to Leon Spinks. He was "The Greatest". RIP. Boxing has sure went downhill from those days.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
trestle

trestle
PostSat Jun 04, 2016 10:25 am 
A compelling man for certain and a heckuva boxer too. RIP Mr. Ali.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
RichP

RichP
PostSat Jun 04, 2016 10:45 am 
I haven't read his autobiography "Soul of a Butterfly" but I hope to one day.
Quote:
“Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right.” ― Muhammad Ali

gb

gb
PostSat Jun 04, 2016 11:28 am 
Sad to hear. As he grew more mature he became a pretty cool individual, his boxing related mental ailments not withstanding.

AR

AR
PostSat Jun 04, 2016 12:45 pm 
On April 28, 1967, with the United States at war in Vietnam, Ali refused to be inducted into the armed forces, saying “I ain't got no quarrel with those Vietcong.” On June 20, 1967, Ali was convicted of draft evasion, sentenced to five years in prison, fined $10,000 and banned from boxing for three years. Cassius left others to sacrifice and die for the freedom he took for granted and used to make his fortunes. This pile of human excrement should never been allowed to box/sport in the US. ~last tidbit removed~

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostSat Jun 04, 2016 4:29 pm 
My dad did two tours of duty in Vietnam, yet he was also a big Ali fan. I have no problem with Ali's decision to not fighting in the war. I'm far more offended by AR's comments than anything Ali did in his life.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
AR

AR
PostSat Jun 04, 2016 6:21 pm 
I removed the offence part mtn.climber. After your dad's sacrifice and service you should have a problem with draft dodgers. Maybe it's hard to understand without actually being a serviceman/woman.

mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostSat Jun 04, 2016 6:54 pm 
Thanks for the removal of part of your post, AR. I didn't mention that I am a former Marine, so I know what duty, honor and sacrifice means. Different opinions are part of what makes this country great.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSat Jun 04, 2016 9:33 pm 
The other thing that can make us great is avoiding foul metaphors when refering to another being. AR, it's one thing to hold your negative view, it's another to express it that way. It's just not appropiate on this forum, and really anywhere else.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Jun 04, 2016 9:58 pm 
AR wrote:
On April 28, 1967, with the United States at war in Vietnam, Ali refused to be inducted into the armed forces, saying “I ain't got no quarrel with those Vietcong.
The best part of the quote is the next line. "No Vietcong ever called me Nigger." Your caustic words are inappropriate to the great man who President George Bush awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom to. The president called him instead "A fierce fighter and a man of peace" when he bestowed the medal upon his neck.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun Jun 05, 2016 7:47 am 
mtn.climber do you also not have a problem with jane fonda going to north vietnam?

mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostSun Jun 05, 2016 11:16 am 
cdestroyer wrote:
mtn.climber do you also not have a problem with jane fonda going to north vietnam?
That bothers me a bit more. But since this topic was about Ali's passing and his greatness in/out of the ring. I don't feel the need to respond beyond that.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Jun 05, 2016 1:01 pm 
Ali came from very humble beginnings and became great because he used his two biggest resources to the fullest extent. Those resources were his spirit and originality as well as his ability to dance around and dodge punches while holding his guard down around his waist. I can remember being in a college dorm in the 60’s and watching one of his fights. The guy next to me had $15 bet on him and kept yelling “get em up, get em up $15 bucks”. His famous quote about the Viet Cong could have been a bit simplistic. He didn’t know what they would or would not have called him had he been there. Having spent 18 months in the far east myself I can say from a discrimination stand point he was probably better off living in the good ol’ USA. He viewed his stand on the draft as a moral conviction (like a lot of people did back then). We all have a right to make decisions about moral convictions, we just have to be prepared to face the consequences. Which he did. I have always admired him and his spirit.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Jun 05, 2016 1:14 pm 
^ ^ ^ ^. Yes.

AR

AR
PostSun Jun 05, 2016 3:05 pm 
mtn.climber wrote:
cdestroyer wrote:
That bothers me a bit more. But since this topic was about Ali's passing and his greatness in/out of the ring. I don't feel the need to respond beyond that.
Thank you for your service mtn.climber. U.S. Marine's are some of the tuffest sons a bitches I worked with. Cassius was a good "showman boxer". Had this been about his boxing career and passing it could just move on. But no..."Greatest of the great men" is being said by far too many.