Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Muhammad Ali dead at 74
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
trestle

trestle
PostSun Jun 05, 2016 3:18 pm 
AR wrote:
On April 28, 1967, with the United States at war in Vietnam, Ali refused to be inducted into the armed forces, saying “I ain't got no quarrel with those Vietcong.” On June 20, 1967, Ali was convicted of draft evasion, sentenced to five years in prison, fined $10,000 and banned from boxing for three years. Cassius left others to sacrifice and die for the freedom he took for granted and used to make his fortunes. This pile of human excrement should never been allowed to stay in the US. ~last tidbit removed~
This whole post should have been removed for it's complete and utter irrelevance. The man did his crime and served his time. Perhaps AR has bigger issues with our Justice system. And, to be clear, HE DID NOT DODGE THE DRAFT. He was a conscientious objector and handled his punishment like a MAN.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
AR

AR
PostSun Jun 05, 2016 3:29 pm 
Mike Collins wrote:
AR wrote:
On April 28, 1967, with the United States at war in Vietnam, Ali refused to be inducted into the armed forces, saying “I ain't got no quarrel with those Vietcong.
The best part of the quote is the next line. "No Vietcong ever called me Nigger." Your caustic words are inappropriate to the great man who President George Bush awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom to. The president called him instead "A fierce fighter and a man of peace" when he bestowed the medal upon his neck.
Cassius was quoted as saying that, yes Mike Collins. No caustic words were mentioned as you just managed to do. As to Bush (with due respect)...this is not the first time a Bush had the wool pulled over his eyes.

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
AR

AR
PostSun Jun 05, 2016 3:42 pm 
trestle wrote:
This whole post should have been removed for it's complete and utter irrelevance. The man did his crime and served his time. Perhaps AR has bigger issues with our Justice system. And, to be clear, HE DID NOT DODGE THE DRAFT. He was a conscientious objector and handled his punishment like a MAN.
Cassius did no time for the treason. Conscientious objector = coward

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jun 05, 2016 3:58 pm 
How about a simple RIP.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSun Jun 05, 2016 7:27 pm 
AR wrote:
Cassius left others to sacrifice and die for the freedom he took for granted and used to make his fortunes.
Maybe, as a black man in the midst of the civil rights movement, he didn't think he (and his African American brethren) had that freedom. PS. I'm glad the Mike pointed out the remaining part of the quote that you conveniently left out:
Mike Collins wrote:
The best part of the quote is the next line. "No Vietcong ever called me Nigger." Your caustic words are inappropriate to the great man who President George Bush awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom to. The president called him instead "A fierce fighter and a man of peace" when he bestowed the medal upon his neck.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
AR

AR
PostSun Jun 05, 2016 7:56 pm 
yeah, cause Mexicans, Polish, Germans, Native Americans, Poor, On and On never had a hard time here. waah.gif

Washakie

Washakie
PostMon Jun 06, 2016 6:52 am 
Sorry AR, you are just wrong.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
AR

AR
PostMon Jun 06, 2016 7:15 pm 
Washakie wrote:
Sorry AR, you are just wrong.
Joe Frazier... “This guy was a buddy. I remember looking at him and thinkin’, What’s wrong with this guy? Has he gone crazy? He called me an Uncle Tom. For a guy who did as much for him as I did, that was cruel. I grew up like the black man-he didn’t. I cooked the liquor. I cut the wood. I worked the farm. I lived in the ghetto. Yes, I tommed; when he asked me to help him get a license, I tommed for him. For him! He betrayed my friendship.” Sorry Washakie, I'm just not.

gb

gb
PostMon Jun 06, 2016 11:45 pm 
Muhammad Ali was a great man, pure and simple. He was a terrific boxer with indomitable spirit; early on egotistical, but later in life, kind, generous, and a great role model: The Charitable works of Muhammad Ali

Washakie

Washakie
PostTue Jun 07, 2016 4:46 am 
What's the matter AR? Was he too famous for a black man?

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Jun 07, 2016 7:08 am 
the references to ali's race is offensive to me and I am not a part of that!! and yes I know he did his time but so did many others who did not make a name in the ring or otherwise yet are looked on for the refusal to serve, that is what I care about..I did 10 years in the navy, including a tour in country vietnam.

Washakie

Washakie
PostTue Jun 07, 2016 9:01 am 
No black man ever called offensivel.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jun 07, 2016 9:56 am 
My opinion is that he was the greatest "Boxer" of all time, but not the greatest "Fighter". My opinion is also that he should have went to war and fought for his country, but he sure is not alone, many Politicians and Rich people were able to get out of serving or were placed in positions where they would not see combat. To me that's what makes a superstar athlete like Ted Williams, Ty Cobb and others so special, in that they didn't make excuses for not serving and also chose to enter into combat when they were actually offered non combat positions. Still, I will always think of him as "The Greatest" boxer of all time, at least in the Heavyweight Division.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jun 07, 2016 7:49 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
o me that's what makes a superstar athlete like Ted Williams, Ty Cobb and others so special, in that they didn't make excuses for not serving and also chose to enter into combat when they were actually offered non combat positions.
Think about Jimmy Stewart, Clark Gable etc etc who left hollywood to serve. John Wayne and Ronald Reagan tried, but were not allowed! While I agree with you, that was a TOTALLY different era when these sports/movie/celebrities had a love for and a respect for their country! You might find a few today in those realms who are patriotic, but not enough to matter! down.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Jun 07, 2016 8:14 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Think about Jimmy Stewart, Clark Gable etc etc who left hollywood to serve. John Wayne and Ronald Reagan tried, but were not allowed!
Back then our country suffered an unprovoked attack by a major world power. Having been drafted out of college in the 60's I can say that the general feeling was a bit different. A lot of people didn't think the country was under threat and that the war was maybe not really justified. I went and tried to make the best of a situation I did not really want to be in (I lucked out and got stationed in Korea).