Forum Index > Gear Talk > ThorFire LED Headlight CREE XP-G2 R5
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hetrekker

hetrekker
PostSun Jun 12, 2016 11:06 am 
Found at amazon under all departments: thorfire headlamp. Last winter I tested about a dozen headlamps from rei and amazon, ranging from 100 to 16 bucks including BD Icon, and this one outshone them all in just about every way possible. Has unique and superior features not found on any other headlamp. 20 bucks, 4.9 stars, only 13 left with no sign of more coming. We ended up purchasing 8 of them - its that good. You won't be disappointed.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hetrekker

hetrekker
PostSun Jun 12, 2016 12:05 pm 
As an interesting footnote, rei had this listed as a "special buy" in the clearance section under the name brand alps mountaineering. They listed the normal price at 90 bucks marked down to 60. It got rave reviews and they sold out quickly. Our co-op just looking out for us - too funny.

cartman

cartman
PostMon Jun 13, 2016 6:12 am 
It looks like bulky old tech from a no-name company. Why was it superior? What are the features that make it unique or special? What other headlamps did you test it against, and what tests did you do?

hetrekker

hetrekker
PostMon Jun 13, 2016 11:25 am 
You're right, cartman, and I am wrong. This product is not for you, and you shouldn't get it. Your enlightened assumptions trump my daily use. Having been involved for 3 plus decades in product design, development, and manufacturing I could give a meticulous detailed analysis that would go on for pages, but I haven't the time, appetite, or care to convince you or anyone to buy one. With free shipping and returns there really is nothing to lose here. This is just a heads up from a happy camper to those with an open mind.

DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet
PostMon Jun 13, 2016 12:37 pm 
You could have just said why it's better.

hetrekker

hetrekker
PostMon Jun 13, 2016 3:14 pm 
I am more than a bit challenged when it comes to expressing myself on a typed page, and all headlamps seem very similar in their descriptions. It's difficult to quantify unless you get it in your hands cause ymmv. Here's the best I can muster: I like its lightness and brightness combined with its extremely wide flood that allows you to see your foot, and what you are stepping on, as you step forward, along with seeing 30 feet down the trail and 20 feet on each side in your peripheral vision. I like that the lens is small and lightweight and reversed with an internal curvature so that scratching and damage are nearly impossible. I like that the actuation button is on the bottom so rain won't get into it. I like that the first tap actuates the adjustable dimness setting and that it REMEMBERS IT from the last time it was on. I like the soft non-compressive band along with the top band that allows the other one to be kept looser. I like the soft padding where lens back and battery pack touch the head. And I love the one handed, silky smooth, in and out, fun to use zoom lens. I love the fact that shetrekker likes it and now hikes as fast all night as she does all day, making it hard for me to keep up. I like that I don't feel it on my head all night at 3.2 oz. I like its toughness and reliability and design and simplicity. And I prefer the soft gradual transition from light to dark on its beam edge that it has.

PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostMon Jun 13, 2016 9:47 pm 
Good timing. Looking for a lamp for night trailrunning. Will order one up. Think this is up for the staying on a bouncing head for a few hours? Your description of the flood beam sounds perfect for running.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Jun 13, 2016 10:18 pm 
Super brite or battery life, pick one or something inbetween. There are definitely places such as night hiking/running or cycling that ridiculous brite is the way to go. However, I am not very active in the evening when I'm backpacking. A small Black Diamond or Petzal head lamp is more than adequate for my needs, and has likely 4x the battery life. I actually use a keychain sized Iomega light in the tent, which is quite brite.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jun 13, 2016 11:30 pm 
I have a 1000 lumin bike life for night MTB ing but it Tims if it gets too hot. For or hiking I use a a BD storm with envelope (sic) batteries it has enough settings from 140 to red for most uses. I also have a 3 D mag light in the car to repel boarders.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 12:48 am 
hetrekker- there are multiple items on Amazon that have the model name you posted. Could you link to the right one?

hetrekker

hetrekker
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 8:36 am 
Popho, haven't a clue on how to do that. At the top of amazon under all departments type in thorfire headlamp. The one I have comes up second. It's grey and has horizontal battery pack in back. The lens looks really small which put me off at first from trying it, but the reviews sucked me in. One of the photos is of a skinny guy like you with it on his head. Another photo has a couple in a cave. Perhaps you or someone else can do the linking. I did a little jogging with the light and it doesn't move even with light headband pressure. The front headlamp is quite light with no chance of ever sliding down. The 7 click stop headlamp vertical adjustment stays where you put it. The batteries with its holder weigh about twice the headlamp and balances well. Rechecking the flood, while lighting my forward foot, the light reaches more like 50 feet on the trail not just 30. I recommend getting 2 of them to start with; once your wife tries it you'll never get it back, as the bright flood and smooth zoom are super addictive. Also, of the 9 I ordered, one had a faulty battery cover latch that was returned. You'll have to let us know how it works out for you.

JimK

JimK
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 8:46 am 
Based on the description and $20 price, this looks to be the one. HL-150 Headlamp

hetrekker

hetrekker
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 9:01 am 
Thanks, Jim K. Where do I find instructions for linking?

PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 10:06 am 
Thanks! order placed hetrekker- copy the URL from your browser, hit the URL tag at the top of the "Message Body" frame, and paste in the space provided

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 12:05 pm 
I just did a search for the exact name in the header for this thread (i.e., "ThorFire LED Headlight CREE XP-G2 R5") and the link to Amazon was the first hit. Easy peasy.