Forum Index > Trip Reports > The continued saga of the missing F-102 in the Olympics
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cye

cye
PostMon Jun 13, 2016 10:30 am 
The trip in this video was actually made in July of 2014 up the North Fork Quinault River. Earlier that year I was joined by the My Olympics team in the quest of solving the mystery of the disappearance of Captain Robert Lucas and his Paine Field based F-102. This was my 10th summer of searching for the missing aircraft. We are currently looking for new leads and assistance.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tomlike

Tomlike
PostMon Jun 13, 2016 1:07 pm 
very cool story! some classic Pacific NW bushwhacking shots in that video. I admire the dedication to get up into that rough terrain, searching for the needle in the haystack. I assume there isn't a budget for this endeavor, but there are a few companies that have super high resolution imagery (30cm accuracy) that could be ordered for your search area, although you'd still be looking for a needle...

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 2:12 am 
Very nicely made video -- it held my interest the whole way through. You're an excellent story teller. I wish I had some information to share but this happened 24 years before I moved to Washington.

Phil

Phil
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 5:40 am 
Great video, Cye

Cliffed Out

Cliffed Out
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 11:56 am 
There are parts to a crashed navy jet in the Hayes river basin.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 12:03 pm 
Yipes. Downhill in that brush in runners. A good place for real boots.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
cye

cye
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 7:24 pm 
The jet in the Hayes River Basin is also an F-102 that crashed in 1964. Flight command guided the pilot right into Crystal Peak. He did not survive.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 8:09 pm 
Really cool! Made me want to go out looking for it... until I saw all that brush! eek.gif Hopefully it gets discovered soon!

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jun 15, 2016 8:08 am 
are there any lakes along that flight path where the jet could have gone down into? and is there a map of the flight path that we could see. With areas that you have explored and areas you have not explored? The reason I ask is because I do quite a bit of off trail travel myself and I could give some areas of info where I have been as well as others to say, "no we never came across anything in this area". In addition, If I am anywhere in the flight path in the future, I would keep my eyes open. Such a map exists?

Art is an adventure.
cye

cye
PostWed Jun 15, 2016 9:05 am 
I was given a map with the radar track from one of the other pilots on the intercept practice that day. It is a line from the West Peak of Mt Olympus heading southeast to Three Peaks in the upper Wynoochee drainage. The flight turned dead west at this point and proceeded westward to the coast. The two planes were merged as one on the radar screen after passing over the Queets River. A loud explosion was reported by hunters in the Quinault, upper Wynoochee, and upper South Fork Skokomish River areas on the morning Capt Lucas and his F-102 vanished.

RichP

RichP
PostWed Jun 15, 2016 10:07 am 
Fascinating video. That is indeed some remote terrain to cover. Hopefully others will have the passion that you do in finding Captain Lucas.

FredV

FredV
PostWed Jun 15, 2016 6:09 pm 
Cye, Nice work and video. Did you look at the historical images in GoogleEarth for that specific location/object? I am no GoogleEarth expert but try using the GoogleEarth selection View -> Historical Imagery , then there is a slider bar to change years. Some of the historical images (2007, 2010) in GoogleEarth for that specific area do not appear to show that object that is in the current (2016) GoogleEarth image.

cye

cye
PostWed Jun 15, 2016 8:14 pm 
Hi Eric and FredV, We actually climbed to the top of the upper talus field. We used both a gps and an altimeter to confirm our location. The only thing at the spot that looked like the F-102 on Google Earth was a huge fallen snag. I should clue you in, the video is heavily edited and everything is not in the order it was actually filmed. FredV, you are correct, the object is not there on the earlier imagery years. We had considered the possibility that the object had slid down from a higher location. We covered that slope pretty thoroughly. Unfortunately, there was nothing there.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostWed Jun 15, 2016 11:00 pm 
Enjoyed watching. Good luck with the search. This plane will be found someday.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Jun 16, 2016 12:57 am 
I expect the ability to analyze sound origins has progressed in the last fifty years. Are original interviews from elk hunters available? Could a sound model be created? I've accidentally found aluminum from a known site of Air Force crash older than this. I was shocked that even some small pieces were on top of the duff.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!