Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rock Mountain trail; sun, snow and flowers!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Jun 13, 2016 1:59 pm 
Sunday I made an impromptu trip up to the Rock Mountain trail, after getting a message from one of one of my nwhikers friends. I knew it was going to be a good day when the sun came out shortly after I crossed over Stevens Pass. smile.gif There were only three cars at the trailhead, so I had plenty of solitude to enjoy the abundance of wildflowers and serenade of my favorite songbird, the hermit thrush, as I trudged up the endless switchbacks. It wasn't long before I was treated to expansive views of the Chiwaukum Range, and surrounding peaks.
Views from the trail to Rock Mountain 6/12/16
Views from the trail to Rock Mountain 6/12/16
Abundant wildflowers on the lower trail
Abundant wildflowers on the lower trail
Lupine and paintbrush were in full bloom as well as wild roses and ocean spray. The air was fragrant with Mother Nature's wonderful perfume.
After a couple of miles, snow quickly began to cover the trail.
I was really glad I brought my Microspikes, as it was slushy and slippery from the warm sun.
Rock Lake 6/12/16
Rock Lake 6/12/16
The cornice along the ridge walk up to Rock Mountain was not blocking the trail, but I was running out of energy after almost five miles of straight up switchbacks, and a chilly wind had blown some clouds in, so it was time to turn around and head back. Going back down the snowfields was infinitely more fun than coming up!
Heading back down after reaching our turnaround point
Heading back down after reaching our turnaround point
Aren't there some alpine lakes in those hills yonder we need to explore? smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jun 13, 2016 5:19 pm 
up.gif That trail does have *A LOT* of switchbacks!

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Jun 13, 2016 6:30 pm 
And a LOT of switchbacks exposed to the sun. I would not want to do that trail on a warm day! I forgot to mention that I did not wear bug repellent and ended up bringing a little "friend" home happily sipping my blood. eek.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jun 13, 2016 7:12 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
I forgot to mention that I did not wear bug repellent and ended up bringing a little "friend" home happily sipping my blood. eek.gif
:P I hate those!!
Nancyann wrote:
And a LOT of switchbacks exposed to the sun. I would not want to do that trail on a warm day!
Yeah -- Rock is a lot more enjoyable on days when hikes on the west side would be misty/drizzly.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostMon Jun 13, 2016 7:21 pm 
I was just going to ask if you brought back any ticks...we find them there almost every time! Rock is a favorite as long as it's not too hot and as long as there's still some snow for Cedar. And always nice to run into fellow nwhikers! wave.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Jun 13, 2016 7:52 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
as I trudged up the endless switchbacks.
This is why I prefer to go in from the Merritt Lake TH. At least you drive up some of that elev gain. Nice TR. up.gif I was waiting for some more snow to melt before I make my annual pilgrimage to Crescent and Rock Lake. That is such a nice hike I sometimes don't even bother going on to the summit!

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Jun 13, 2016 8:03 pm 
tick? eek.gif what a great outing up.gif really nice of nwhiker KeepClalm to make the trek back up the ridge top. 5 miles of switchbacks? crazy! tongue.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jun 13, 2016 8:25 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
serenade of my favorite songbird, the hermit thrush
Mine too. up.gif Looks like a nice hike.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Jun 13, 2016 8:35 pm 
bobbi wrote:"really nice of nwhiker KeepCalm to make the trek back up to the ridge top"..actually she was willing to go even further, but I was too wasted. lol.gif HTT, I had no idea you can get there from the Merritt Lake TH. That must have been the long trail traversing the ridge east of the summit that we saw. It was mostly snow free. My daughter and I tried the Snowy Creek approach one time, but by the time we picked our way through an avalanche area, the clouds had rolled in and we could barely see our hands in front of our faces. bawl.gif

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Jun 13, 2016 8:43 pm 
OTiUTB, I was pleasantly surprised to hear the hermit thrush's lovely warble in the late morning, because sometimes I have to wait until dusk to hear them. Oh so pretty. I even sent a video of their song to my daughter that I took during my last Chiwaukum trip.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jun 13, 2016 9:25 pm 
I heard a couple of hermit thrushes around Forgotten Meadows area on Saturday, that was around midday. I hear them frequently in the spring and early summer, seems like on most trails. Don't hear them as much later in the year.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 4:38 am 
Nancyann wrote:
HTT, I had no idea you can get there from the Merritt Lake TH. That must have been the long trail traversing the ridge east of the summit that we saw.
From the Merritt Lake TH you gain some elevation real quick in the first mile or so but after you hit the junction with the Nason Ridge trail it becomes a very pleasant hike. In fact the small rocky valley/meadow where that trail crosses Royal Creek is one of the most soul soothing places you will find in the Cascades.

tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 9:21 am 
Anybody know the status of the backdoor approach from Smithbrook? Can you even drive to that trailhead anymore? I much prefer that route.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 10:02 am 
We drove by that TH last summer and the road was still ok, but rough. I liked that approach also, but there had been an avalanche across the trail over the winter and it took a while to work our way through it. That was several years ago though, hopefully it's been cleared by now. Thanks to KeepCalm for her nice photos! And thanks to HitTheTrail for his information about the Merritt Lake Trail. Now I want to go via that route! up.gif

BlameTheDogz

BlameTheDogz
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 2:15 pm 
tigermn wrote:
Anybody know the status of the backdoor approach from Smithbrook? Can you even drive to that trailhead anymore? I much prefer that route.
We went up that way last summer, and the narrow brushy road scratched up the car a little bit. The trail, however, is super soft, lovely, and great for younger dogs.

striving to stand like mountain yet flow like water, and make the dogs happy