Forum Index > Trail Talk > "Epic" STOP!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri Jun 17, 2016 8:47 am 
Like fingernails on a chalkboard I struggle to even spell it out If everything is ____ then nothing is ____ I cringe every time I see it in a trip report. And I see it all the time! There are 2 things my daughters warn their friends about when they come to our house. If you are a guy, shake my Dad's hand like a Man! Guy or Gal, please don't say the word ____ in our house. If my Dad hears it, he'll go insane Can't we just bring back the phrase "groovy" ?

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jun 17, 2016 8:59 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Can't we just bring back the phrase "groovy" ?
Cool! hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostFri Jun 17, 2016 9:05 am 
page 1 of epic thread

I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostFri Jun 17, 2016 9:38 am 
Quote:
Can't we just bring back the phrase "groovy" ?
Totally!

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Jun 17, 2016 9:47 am 
I'm totally with you, but I've realized that part of getting into my 30s is getting annoyed at all new slang. "Awesome" never bothered me, but it's basically the same thing. Slang abuses language, but there will always be slang. But yeah, that doesn't stop it from ticking me off. Some other ones, in escalating order of irritation: "Really??" "Wait for it..." "is [not] a thing." Man I HATE that one. But there is also a new kind of slang -- internet slang, which people only type on the internet and social media and would never actually utter in conversation, which adds an additional layer of inanity. Like: "That moment when X happens." WHAT ABOUT IT?? That is not a full sentence! You would never actually say this! "This." (and all varieties -- "A thousand times this." "This times a million." I get you mean you agree, so just say that. It's not cute anymore.) There are others I'm just not thinking of right now.

RichP

RichP
PostFri Jun 17, 2016 9:49 am 
Here's an old epic thread on the subject and "epic" wins the poll. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7988711&highlight=phrases

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Jun 17, 2016 9:52 am 
The way the word "amazing" is used for every f### thing - from the view from Mt Si (not actually amazing) to a bit of boiled cod on a plate depicted on your Facebook page - is outrageous. It's as if they have never actually experienced or have never actually seen anything truly amazing in their lives. This is why I'm back in the public accounting industry and not working for the not for profit world, where overuse of the word "amazing" is a requirement. No offense to not for profits; ya gotta go with the public's flow and expectations. I just can't do it, and don't fit in. frown.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri Jun 17, 2016 10:01 am 
Foist wrote:
I'm totally with you, but I've realized that part of getting into my 30s is getting annoyed at all new slang. "Awesome" never bothered me, but it's basically the same thing. Slang abuses language, but there will always be slang. But yeah, that doesn't stop it from ticking me off. Some other ones, in escalating order of irritation: "Really??" "Wait for it..." "is [not] a thing." Man I HATE that one. But there is also a new kind of slang -- internet slang, which people only type on the internet and social media and would never actually utter in conversation, which adds an additional layer of inanity. Like: "That moment when X happens." WHAT ABOUT IT?? That is not a full sentence! You would never actually say this! "This." (and all varieties -- "A thousand times this." "This times a million." I get you mean you agree, so just say that. It's not cute anymore.) There are others I'm just not thinking of right now.
"I know! Right?" And when you say "Right" it's in the delivery. You have to raise the tone of your voice from low to high. If you don't, you're just a idiot trying to fit in Grrrrrr

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostFri Jun 17, 2016 10:20 am 
So... I'm assuming you guys are old.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Jun 17, 2016 10:23 am 
"I know, right?" is an old one, I think it started when I was in college, so around 15 years ago. My sense is that it's already out or on it's way out. I still hear it sometimes but not that much.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Jun 17, 2016 10:31 am 
PorcupinePhobia wrote:
So... I'm assuming you guys are old.
Old enough to know that Mailbox peak is not epic in any form or usage of the word. Now a total eclipse of the sun from atop Rainier or a climb of Denali or a walk of the full length of the great wall or single handed sailing around the world - epic. Mt Si not in a million years. Gotta call it epic if you expect to get any twit face followers, even if it is mundane like Granite Mountain.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Jun 17, 2016 11:21 am 
I don't mind admitting that I use "epic" when I write online occasionally, and I don't see anything really wrong with using it aside from the fact that it's a bit trite these days. "Particularly impressive or remarkable" is the definition of epic that is typically used today, and what is impressive and remarkable to one person may not be to another. To someone who has never gone hiking before perhaps hiking Mailbox peak might seem epic, while to more experienced adventurers it seems terribly mundane. Of course, if you use it to describe everything then it does lose its meaning, but if used sparingly to describe experiences that are particularly impressive or remarkable to you it is just fine.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostFri Jun 17, 2016 11:22 am 
Epic would be seeing one of those Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, or Porsche "SUVs" off a paved road at a Trail Head.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostFri Jun 17, 2016 11:32 am 
It is what it is.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Jun 17, 2016 11:43 am 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
Of course, if you use it to describe everything then it does lose its meaning, but if used sparingly to describe experiences that are particularly impressive or remarkable to you it is just fine.
Yes, good point; and I really enjoy reports - even from Si, from folks who are new to hiking. "Amazing" falling out of the mouths and leaping off keyboards on a regular basis about every flipping thing is the annoyance. But you're right about the differences.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting