Forum Index > Partners > Luna Peak June 24-26, 2016
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sam18802

sam18802
PostFri Jun 17, 2016 8:58 am 
Looking for a couple ambitious folks to join on a brutal venture into the Pickets next weekend. Was slated to do Emmons but to be honest, I have very little interest in Rainier right now and Luna would be cooler in my opinion. Itinerary would be: Friday evening/night: Do most of the legwork and make it to Luna Camp in the early hours of Saturday morning. Set up base camp, take a power nap and then do Luna as a day push Saturday with light packs. Sunday- Lazy day/recovery and take the water taxi back to Ross Lake Resort. Sam 4849867103 *Yes, I know its a lot of mileage and bushwhacking in a single 24 hour period. I have no doubt we will likely come down in the dark. Hence the reason I'm looking for folks willing to put in that kind of effort in a weekend.

Love hiking and mountains!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Jun 17, 2016 2:25 pm 
Sam...I climbed Luna two years ago in Sept. The bushwhacking won't be as much an obstacle as fording Big Beaver Creek. The water was mid-thigh level when we did the late season climb. FWIW you will want friction to be your friend once on the rock toward the summit pyramid. There is serious exposure. The current forecast is for rain. If you decide to go then best of luck to you. http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report.2014-09-07.5419246884

sam18802

sam18802
PostFri Jun 17, 2016 4:59 pm 
Appreciate the beta! I'm already doubtful I will find anyone willing to put that kind of effort forth with no guaranteed reward. Maybe McMillan Spire again...

Love hiking and mountains!
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostFri Jun 17, 2016 5:00 pm 
Mike Collins is right, the crux is the Big Beaver crossing. The bushwhacking is not too bad as long as you don't break the number one rule. Never leave the trail! Los are your best friend against fields of devils club. The summit ending is good, bringing a rope was a complete waste. There is a secret ledge that is class 3 to the right of the false summit.