Forum Index > Trail Talk > Airlift Insurance Report
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Jun 20, 2016 9:59 am 
From KING TV: http://www.king5.com/news/local/patient-hopes-you-consider-airlift-insurance/250228489

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostMon Jun 20, 2016 10:15 am 
We have ALNW coverage. Saved my daughter from a $12k bill.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jun 20, 2016 10:24 am 
They say that one group of people to consider purchasing this insurance is people who go into the mountains. If there's an SAR rescue, where to the choppers take the hiker? Do they drop them off at the trail head and it's up to the injured hiker to get to the hospitall? The only scenario I can think of where someone paid for a chopper was a woman whose injury didn't warrant an SAR lift; she called a private chopper to get her (I don't recall details; this was several years ago on the Peninsula).

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostMon Jun 20, 2016 10:37 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
If there's an SAR rescue, where to the choppers take the hiker? Do they drop them off at the trail head and it's up to the injured hiker to get to the hospitall?
I find that statement interesting since Airlift NW does not have any capability to rescue people in terrain where they cannot land (and they are, understandably, very careful and selective about where they will land). Airlift NW's function is to transport to a hospital. However, for a SAR or military helicopter, various factors determine where a patient goes, including severity of injury and availability of landing zones. If a rescued person needs to go to a hospital, a SAR helicopter will either take them there directly or will land somewhere and transfer them to an aid car/medic unit for transport to the hospital. A more unusual scenario, usually in incidents involving multiple patients, is for SAR helo to drop a patient off at some intermediate landing zone and Airlift Northwest helicopter to transfer to hospital (this happened at the Ice Caves last summer and on the first day of the Oso mudslide - in both incidents the SAR and/or military helicopters remained on scene to continue rescuing other people from locations not reachable by Airlift NW). If you're "extra" lucky and get taken to Harborview, you will also be charged for the one minute aid car transport from the helicopter pad to the Emergency Department. ;-)

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon Jun 20, 2016 11:36 am 
sounds very strange. Guy has an accident at home - $20000 for airlift. Person goes hiking intentionally without water, map or any idea what they are doing and they get a free ride. Kind of shoots down one argument in favor of free mountain rescues, seeing that they do charge for "in civilization" "rescues". Does that keep people from calling 911 when they REALLY need help? weird world we live in.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jun 20, 2016 11:41 am 
$79 / year seems like a good deal. Though does it actually cover SAR type lifts from the side of a mountain:
Quote:
Air medical transport service by Airlift Northwest cannot be guaranteed due to weather conditions, geographic restraints or commitment to another patient transport.
With the accident in the media piece they mentioned a coast of $28,000 for the chopper ride. However they don't mention the hospital bill, that would be a interesting figure to know as well. Someone I know spent eight days in the hospital (Swedish downtown) about a year ago -- including 5 days in the ICU -- the bill was an eye popping $186,000 This was for a blocked/infected kidney and involved only a very minor surgical procedure (20 minutes in the OR) to shunt the blocked kidney to an external drain. The ICU time was for dealing with the infection (which had become septic)

silence

silence
PostMon Jun 20, 2016 11:48 am 
When Robert had his heart attack last July in Gustavus, AK, according to Medicare he needed to first be airlifted to the nearest emergency room which was in Juneau. From there he was then airlifted to Anchorage for treatment. Under Medicare, while the bills for both airlifts came to nearly $75K, we only had to pay a $250 deductible for each trip. But, this is when we also learned about Airlift NW’s cool program. We've been looking for a place to buy in more remote areas around WA, and have learned that in most cases the local aid car will only take you to the nearest helo pad to be transported to Seattle for critical care (whether it be from home or from a mountain rescue). Even though Medicare insurance would probably cover this for us, there's ALWAYS the possibility that it won’t, so I think the $79 /yr is a reasonable investment … plus it offers great piece of mind. BTW, the whole experience with Airlift NW was awesome. They (the pilot and 2 EMTs) were so kind, supportive, skilled and professional … all the way to the hospital room. However, be aware, to get this coverage you also need to have medical insurance that covers air transport, plus it's only for emergency situations ... see the particulars here http://www.uwmedicine.org/airlift-nw/aircare/washington
Airlift to Anchorage
Airlift to Anchorage

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostMon Jun 20, 2016 12:22 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
Person goes hiking intentionally without water, map or any idea what they are doing and they get a free ride. Kind of shoots down one argument in favor of free mountain rescues, seeing that they do charge for "in civilization" "rescues". Does that keep people from calling 911 when they REALLY need help?
Why strange? Airlift NW is funded by charging its clients (and/or their medical insurance). SAR Helicopters (the government owned/funded ones, at least) get their funding from county/state/federal budgets. It has nothing to do with perceived fairness (whatever that might mean). Most people don't know that SAR helicopters are free to the rescued (and they are not everywhere). In fact, I've had conversations multiple times with people we've rescued who have delayed calling for help because they were afraid of being charged (helicopter or not). So I think your suggestion that people aren't calling for help is true - but it is true regardless of where the help is needed because most people are not particularly well versed with the knowledge of what has what cost (or not).

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Jun 20, 2016 1:04 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
If there's an SAR rescue, where to the choppers take the hiker? Do they drop them off at the trail head and it's up to the injured hiker to get to the hospitall?
I have had a helicopter rescue from the mountains. The National Park Service helicopter shuttled me from a small ledge to nearby Banded Glacier where the ALNW helicopter landed and took me to Harborview. But the ALNW helicopter crew don't bring you into the hospital. A separate ambulance crew from AMR takes you the remaining ~500 ft from the helipad to the hospital. That cost is another ~$600. I got to be in the ALNW calendar but wasn't the center foldout photo.

Bugs

Bugs
PostMon Jun 20, 2016 2:05 pm 
In King County most helicopter rescues are flown directly to the Hospital.

Always out there.
Geography Nerd
Beer Tester

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester
PostMon Jun 20, 2016 2:05 pm 
ALNW is really a flying ambulance unlike Sno. County Helo Rescue or a military helicopter that can perform hoist rescues or land in less than ideal terrain. From what I recall ALNW first started marketing their services and insurance to folks who lived on islands without bridge access throughout the Northwest (Vashon, Anderson, etc.) If I lived on one of those islands I'd consider the insurance.

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Jun 20, 2016 3:48 pm 
I've mentioned this before as the topic came up. Your insurance may not cover aid car rides either, especially if you're transferred over multiple jurisdictions (i.e. Stevens Pass to Providence in Everett). Regence doesn't cover it for me and a couple of times I've paid $2k plus out-of-pocket.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jun 20, 2016 5:26 pm 
Yana wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
I find that statement interesting since Airlift NW does not have any capability to rescue people in terrain where they cannot land (and they are, understandably, very careful and selective about where they will land). Airlift NW's function is to transport to a hospital. However, for a SAR or military helicopter, various factors determine where a patient goes, including severity of injury and availability of landing zones. If a rescued person needs to go to a hospital, a SAR helicopter will either take them there directly or will land somewhere and transfer them to an aid car/medic unit for transport to the hospital. A more unusual scenario, usually in incidents involving multiple patients, is for SAR helo to drop a patient off at some intermediate landing zone and Airlift Northwest helicopter to transfer to hospital (this happened at the Ice Caves last summer and on the first day of the Oso mudslide - in both incidents the SAR and/or military helicopters remained on scene to continue rescuing other people from locations not reachable by Airlift NW). If you're "extra" lucky and get taken to Harborview, you will also be charged for the one minute aid car transport from the helicopter pad to the Emergency Department. ;-)
Clarify. If fAirliftNW takes someone to the hospital as a result of an SAR mission, does Airlift NW bill the victim (or his insurance). or is AirliftNW doing a free service to victims as a contribution to SAR? The question is because of the statement in the news article that suggests insurance for people that recreate in the mountains and I wish to know if this statement is right or wrong in Washington state (I understand other states have different rules)

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostMon Jun 20, 2016 9:53 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
fAirliftNW takes someone to the hospital as a result of an SAR mission, does Airlift NW bill the victim (or his insurance)
Correct. Circumstances don't matter. But as I mentioned, it is fairly unusual (though not impossible) for a SAR patient to end up on an Airlift NW flight.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jun 20, 2016 9:56 pm 
OK, that clarifies, thanks so mu;ch!